What do you feed your oldies/fatties?

samsaccount

Visit site
My lad (21) is a very good dooer and he has been out of work for 2 years or so, I am wanting to bring him back into work in the next few months at the moment he is getting a handful of hi fi lite and carrots, and the occasional spoonfull linseed oil. I am waiting to feed him something which will help me get the weight off him, but keep his coat etc in good nic, but I also want to ensure he get enough supplements for his joints, I have heard linseed is great but puts weight on so can anyone suggest any very good supplements for oldies and feeds for fatties. I am quite happy to keep feeding him what he is been fed but I am unsure if it is the best, so any other recommendations are welcome thanks

hairycob

Visit site
Bobby has Good Doer, Speedibeet with a little splash of sunflower oil soaked into it, NAF vitamins & superflex (he's 25 & getting a bit stiff) + carrots of course. I started soaking the oil into the speedibeet as Pickle always ended up with a greasy nose & Bobby would avoid the oily bits unless it was really well mixed in.

samsaccount

Visit site
Thank you everyone
smile.gif

My boy is now on happy hoof, speedibeet and cod liver oil to see how things go with that
smile.gif

Breezesbenefactor

Visit site
There is anew feed on the market for old timers it doesn't put the weight on (supposedly!!!) but has all the bits and pieces you'll need for light work - unfortunately I can't think what it's called but it's available from Follyfoot Farm in norfolk - they can at least tell you the name so you can find a local feed supplier

MagicMelon

Visit site
How about changing the linseed for Soya oil which I dont *think* is so fattening? And dont feed too much of it. Id watch how many carrots you give as they are full of sugar - one of mine gets laminitis just looking at one!! Joint-wise feed NAF Superflex. This stuff is amazing, my horses have changed since being on it! My 2 veterans are bombing about like 3yo's!

I think you're fine to leave him on Hi Fi Lite. Id personally just feed loads of fibre. If you didnt think he was getting enough you could always add something else high in fibre like speedi-beet or high-fibre cubes etc. Otherwise, just feed a decent all round vit & min supplement (or you can get veteran ones nowadays, Equimins do one)

maxebraith

Visit site
I have a 32 mare with cushings so lammy side effects. i give her more dengie lite than haylage (cant get hold of decent hay). Ive found the best way to keep condition is to feed little and often but i feed dengie lite spillers senior and just bog standard vegetable oil from tesco!

samsaccount

Visit site
Thank you for your input.
I decided on happy hoof, as my feed supplier didn't have any hifi lite in stock and i didn't have enough to last me until my next visit.

Reagrding the linseed oil he is on one table spoon every other day and I have almost run out so I think I will keep him on the cod liver oil to see how he is with that and then maybe if he doesn't seem to like it or something no oil or veg oil.

He is just on fiberours foods, hay, speedibeet, and happy hoof (with a few carrots) so hopfully he should keep his condition and temprement and not gain any more weight haha.

I will certainly try the NAF Superflex as I have heard quite a few good things said about it.

Thanks

Theresa_F

Visit site
Our clydie is 21, 16.3 and a good doer. He keeps trim and with great joints now that I have changed to Simple Systems.

He is in light work and has 1 scoop (stubs one) twice a day of lucie stalks and 1/2 scoop twice a day of green gold. He also has their total eclipse supplement plus extra instant linseed and a mug of black sunflower seeds. Bit of garlic and some carrots and about 1/2 - 3/4 bale of hay a day - are grazing is gone.

In the winter he also has a little speedibeet and his ball with econ nuts. I like this way of feeding as he is constantly with access to food, no sugar, starch etc and it really suits him and my baby cob.

He has never been so full of stamina since going on this diet - lovely to ride him when he is obviously feeling so good.

I am actually considering taking him off cortaflex and just using linseed - it has made that much of a difference to him. He also has a beautiful coat.

samsaccount

Visit site
My boy likes linseed and as it is good for coats I would like to use it on him but isn't it fattening, or am i under the wrong impression?

Theresa_F

Visit site
Instant linseed is not as fattening as the old boil up in the saucepan method.

Both mine have it, Cairo for joints and Chancer for a show coat. They have not put on any weight since having it - they have a couple of ounces a day each as Cairo is a big lad and Chancer is still growing.

To be honest, I am so impressed with the improvement in Cairo's joints that I would cut down on speedibeet etc to be able to give it if they boys did have a weight problem.

I used to feed linseed oil to Jemima for her show coat, and she could be a fattie, but again in this form it made no difference to her weight gain.

Chex

Visit site
Chex gets a big handful of Happy Dieter a day. He's 24, and a but fattie! He's just coming back into work so will probably add something to it if he needs it.