What do you feed your oldies to help with stiffness?

HashRouge

Visit site
My Arab mare (25 yo) is looking fabulous after quite a hard winter. I'm really pleased with her weight, coat and energy levels. But she is slightly stiffer this summer than she has been previously and I'm wondering if there is anything I can give her to help. She will have bute/ danilon when she needs it but I don't think she's at that stage as she's just a bit stiff and certainly not lame. She still charges round the field when she thinks I'm going to give them more grass! But I do want her to be as comfortable as possible, so would be grateful to hear your recommendations. She's not currently fed anything, but through the winter she had a scoop of chaff, Forage Plus balancer and Coolstance Copra.

Max123

Visit site
I used to give my old mare NAFs Devil's relief and I think it helped her generally. It's always hard to know if she would have been the same without it

windand rain

Visit site
turmeric pepper and linseed keeps my old girl sound she is 23 and had surgery 17 years ago so gets stiff in that joint sometimes stays free moving on turmeric and very happy I too will give her painkillers if she needs them

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
linseed and boswellia, not really doing the job enough anymore but been pleased with it previously.

Britestar

Visit site
My old lady has been on glucosamine but I'm going to add devils claw or boswelia as she's a little stiff. I have danilon for the winter if she needs it.

Shady

Visit site
double strength good quality raw turmeric powder and a good pinch of devils claw root. The higher the curcumin % the better the affect(5-6%) .
Mix 1 really good sized tablespoon turmeric, 10/12 grinds of pepper and enough oil( coconut, olive, inseed. NOT veg) to make a paste, add a maintenance dose of devils claw (10-20 mg max) and mix into a carrier of your choice, ie, chaff, bit of carrot, apple etc, add a bit of water too or it's a bit dry. Turmeric works on a cumulative affect so you probably won't notice a difference straight away but this combination has worked wonders on one of mine and he's just gone through the wettest winter ever and is stabled every night. I noticed a huge difference when i upped the quality of the turmeric.
Devils Claw i get from Hilton Herbs
Turmeric from Buywholefoodsonline but they are not doing it by the kilo at the moment so i am trialing a new one from Valley View Animal Feeds in Cornwall. It's the first time i have used this company but their products look excellent