What do you feed your poor doers / your thoroughbreds?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
With 2 it was a question of what not to feed them. One put on weight the moment I stopped feeding her molasses, and the other the moment I stopped feeding him soya.

With a third who only got thin in the second half of winter, adding vitamin E was the solution.

J_sarahd

Visit site
Mine gets
Topspec Comprehensive Balancer
Alfa A Original
Proper ad-lib hay

She’s looking great at the moment, just need to build up her topline - but she is 3 and in very minimal work

Kat

Visit site
My part TB poor doer gets Alfa A Molasses Free, Coolstance Copra, micronised linseed, and equimins advance complete.

She's a fussy madam but she eats this and it keeps weight on her and gives her usable energy rather than that sort of stressy energy.

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
With 2 it was a question of what not to feed them. One put on weight the moment I stopped feeding her molasses, and the other the moment I stopped feeding him soya.

With a third who only got thin in the second half of winter, adding vitamin E was the solution.
Im glad to hear its not only mine that cant have molasses soya and alfalfa for mine lol

TPO

Visit site
I've had success with various things over the years and different horses.

Obviously not all fed at the same time!

Copra
Micronised linseed
Pink Mash (over higher calorie mashes. I'm guessing because of the hind gut stuff)
Grass nuts
Alfabeet
A&P soothe and gain
Baileys Ease & Excel no.21 mix
Dengie meadow grass chaff

I usually feed a powdered balancer from progressive earth. I have tried a few others but always go back to PE.

Cragrat

Visit site
I love feeding straights - but my older Tb has expensive tastes, and a small appetite. I just couldn't get him to eat enough calories. Saracen Re-leve and Equijewel have transformed him, and my bank account :(

Denali

Visit site
I don’t know how helpful this will be as I’m in the US but I had a hard keeper TB that would pick at his hay. Any hay. We fed him a high fat hard feed (senior feed over here), 1 cup canola oil, and alfalfa hay pellets. We fed him three times a day and made sure he had grass or hay at all times. The only supplement he was on was farriers formula as he had terrible hooves.
This was his retirement diet and he only ever was in light work due to the weight struggles especially in winter.