What do you feed your sweet itch horses?

sparky1981

Visit site
We have recently acquired a pony with sweet itch. Am I right in thinking they shouldn’t be on much sugar or alpha a ? Would top spec light balancer/ possibly cool balancer in the winter be ok with thunderbrooks unmollassed chaff be an option?what do you all feed?thanks

PSD

Visit site
I used to give mine grass nuts (soaked) and pink mash with an equimins vitamin supplement. In summer I’d add brewers yeast but I don’t think it really worked that well.

Cahill

Visit site
alfaA is the (used to be yellow? ) bag was really bad for mine.so bad that she couldnt be stabled as rubbed so much.
after many years of lotions and potions the only product that works for us is Biteback silver.

mine have good quality hay and veg.

Fransurrey

Visit site
I avoid anything with alfalfa as it makes her much worse. Currently she's on Pure Easy with brewer's yeast and extra linseed. Don't think anything would have worked this year. All the usual routines just couldn't overcome the constant grass growth and ideal insect breeding conditions.

sparky1981

Visit site
Thanks for your replies. I was thinking she may need something that adds a little energy but don’t want to buy something containing molasses or alpha so it’s tricky

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
In my years of having horses with sweet itch I haven't had one that alfalfa or sugars made any different to the itchiness, though as natives I kept sugar low anyway. I did feed a bit of linseed. Tried supplements and brewers yeast to no noticable effect.
The things I felt worked
Good rug with hood , boett or similar.
Electric fencing and everything fenced off, water in a trug or something that can't be rubbed on.
Environment. Open windy field ideal otherwise keep away from wet areas, poo pick and mow down have areas of long grass so midges don't rest there and get disturbed as the horses walk through then feed on horses.
I used a pour on repellent then treated the legs and sheath and anything else not covered by rug with either Neem oil or a repellent cream regularly .
On bad days Boett can be ridden in if belly part removed.

Quigleyandme

Visit site
All of the good advice up-thread plus a thorough shampoo and rinse of the mane and tail head as soon as grease and/or scurf is evident really does help minimise my horse’s discomfort.

LittleBlueBird

Visit site
We give ours Marmite in her feed, sounds daft but she’s much less itchy and has stopped her mad rubbing. She absolutely loves the stuff. Facebook has a sweetitch group with tons of info if you’re inclined.