What do you feed?

Kelly2016

Visit site
I’m not asking for advice on what to feed him... as stated initially I am just curious as to what others feed their horses...

There isn’t any harm in giving him a handful of chaff when he is brought in to work, his condition is fine and as I stated above he is my loan horse so I don’t actually have any say in what he is fed.

PSD

Visit site
I feed my 2 yo a cup of pink mash, quarter of a cup of grass nuts - both soaked...a scoop of brewers yeast and a scoop of equimins advance powder supplement once a day. She is on full summer grazing at the moment, has hay when she comes in as I don’t like them stood with nothing.

I’ll also be adding salt to her diet too

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Agrobs mash and linseed, with mag ox, vit e and salt.

Pony gets about a handful (total quantity-wise), and the two horses about 3-4 handfuls. They get fed once per day, except in winter when one of the horses gets and extra feed per day.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Nothing. I feed my horse absolutely nothing. None of mine have seen a feed bucket for going on 10 years. They get managed pasture which is topped in the summer, and weighed hay in the winter, if they need it - which they mostly don't. They are in light to medium work. The retired one also gets nothing, only more so (i.e. less).

Last edited:

dorsetladette

Visit site
Usually in summer a token feed of chaff and something to carry supplements. But this year they are on a bigger feed of country mix. Its a heavily molassed mix of oats, barley etc. They are on this as on occasion the sheep steal the horses feeds and vice versa, so everyone is fed the same to save any issues. They are also getting hay at the moment as my fields are bare.

In winter the older one will have calm and condition a bit of chaff and linseed. Possibly some oil if he drops weight. Young fatty will continue on his sheep friendly mix and hay.

ForeverBroke_

Visit site
Mine get a scoop of Meadow Grass and their pelleted balancer and salt each day :) One is 4, one is 8 and one is 23 all in totally different levels of work but our hay is very good.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
This comment has no relevance to the thread, I am just curious about what others feed their horses... I am not asking for any advice

You aren't the only person reading this thread and more novice owners might want to know that a horse can't make a connection between finishing work and being given a handful of chaff 'as a reward for the work' minutes later.

Once you release a thread into the wild you don't have control over where it wanders, I'm afraid :(

buddylove

Visit site
Speedi-beet (tiny bit) to carry equimins vit and mins, micronised linseed, aloe Vera juice, brewers yeast, and plain straw chaff to slow them down.
They are out 24/7 on a grass track system of poor grazing (all the good bits have been got by the sheep before the horses get there, and sheep continue to cross graze the track once they horses have access to it)

Last edited:

Kelly2016

Visit site
You aren't the only person reading this thread and more novice owners might want to know that a horse can't make a connection between finishing work and being given a handful of chaff 'as a reward for the work' minutes later.

Once you release a thread into the wild you don't have control over where it wanders, I'm afraid :(

I would imagine if someone was looking for specific feeding advice they would start their own thread or look at the numerous other existing threads which are actually looking for advice. This thread was simply a curiosity post which I stated.

By replying to my comment it in that manner it was as though you were trying to advise me that there is no point in giving him the chaff, when I wasn’t looking for advise, there is no harm in giving him the handful of chaff, and as stated I have no say over his feed.

Ellietotz

Visit site
My 15yo pssm/ulcer prone mare gets a cup of copra, a cup of linseed and usually half a stubbs scoop of grass chaff but grazing is low at the moment so she is getting a whole scoop worth with her salt, vitamin e and equimins balancer. In winter, she will be on 3 cups of copra spilt into two feeds along with the same as above.

Buster2020

Visit site
baileys lo cal balancer and pink mash twice a day

Unfortunately I don’t really have much of choice when it comes to feeding . My yard feeds blancers to every horse which is unfortunate when you have a good doer.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
My boy gets a scoop of readigrass, a stubbs scoop of alfalfa pellets and 2 cups of Copra twice a day. He is in very light work and has fair grazing, but he is a big boy and isn't a particularly good doer, although not a poor doer I wouldn't say either.

skint1

Visit site
Pink mash and Fibre plus nuggets for my two for their supplements. Neither in work. Mare is not a good doer, grazing just cut by 2/3 without notice by the farm and what is left is not enough for her so I might need to reconsider my options on feed or something anyway

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Mine's on soaked Thunderbrooks hay cobs as a carrier for Thunderbrooks Daily Essentials, linseed, magnesium, salt and a few herbs to help joint mobility.

He's in light work 5-6 days a week

MagicMelon

Visit site
I have two horses, one doesnt actually need anything (she's looking a bit plump as it is) but I do feed her a tiny amount of Healthy Tummy chaff simply for her to get something while I feed my other horse as they live together and I feed them in the field. My veteran ex-competition horse I struggle to keep weight on so he's currently on Pink Mash, Healthy Tummy chaff (just a little, otherwise he wolfs his feed too quick) and 16+ mix. Im not a big fan of chaff personally, feel its a bit of a waste of money but it has slowed my gelding down with his eating after he got choke after a feed which didnt have chaff in. Mine get 24/7 hay all year round as well as 24/7 turnout (in not a huge paddock - approx 1 acre hence why they generally get hay all summer too which they just pick at). Neither of mine work right now, the veteran is retired and my mare is off work while I'm 6 months pregnant.

Sky’s-Legacy

Visit site
Two ponies in medium level of work

Pony 1
500 grams of Saracen competition fit mix
1 round Stubbs scoop of Dengie Alfa-A oil
Hay out in the field now the grass has run out. (unlimited in winter)

Pony 2
1 round scoop Dengie Hi-Fi Lite
900 grams Saracen Shape Up
Hay out in field (unlimited in winter)

Both mini shetlands (5 and 33) get no hard feed durning the summer, they live on restricted grazing and weighed hay. Winter the 5yr old gets 100 grams Saracen essential balancer + Dengie Hi-Fi Lite, 33yr old gets 600 grams Saracen super fibre cubes + Dengie Hi-Fi Lite. Both get unlimited hay in winter.

HazuraJane

Visit site
Grass hay. Evenings they get a scoop of grass pellets with their individual supplements or meds as needed.
When one had a broken splint bone, I fed a peeled orange for the Vitamin C.
Whatever; it made me feel better. . .