What do you get for your livery and how much?

Zarkaz

Visit site
Im on DIY and last night I finally decided to bring my boy in for winter. I then got a txt from YO this morning to say he was playing up in the stable. He had reared up at the door and got stuck! I assumed this was early in the morning he had done this and thought it was strange because he is used to being stabled. I got down to the yard after work to find him still in his stable after 12 hours with no food or water! No wonder he was going mad he was stuck in by himself all day and instead of putting him out they closed his top door! Anyways back to the point what does your DIY cost you and what does it include? I assumed my would at least provide turnout in a morning!

be positive

Visit site
DIY is usually just that, do it ALL yourself, unless arrangements are made for assisted or part livery, the YO would have expected you to go in the morning to see to him.

DIY £25
Assisted from £30, depending on what is required
Part £75

HeatherAnn

Visit site
I agree with sticky toffee. With DIY you are supposed to do everything yourself, if you want people to turn out your horse then you should pay extra.

Mlini

Visit site
Mines on DIY. It's 35 a week - you get a stable and a field and as much haylage and straw as you want. Doesn't include any turning out or bringing in etc but they do it if you ask. DIY does mean do it yourself :D

Niddlynoo

Visit site
I pay £100 month. Includes stable unlimited turnout in summer and (very) restricted winter turnout. The farmer dictates what time they can go out and come in (if at all!) - this can play havoc if you need to go to work.......

All the same - DIY means just that unless other arrangements have been made.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I run a small DIY yard and "DIY" is exactly that - Do it your (bleddy) self!!!

Everyone has to sign a contract to the effect that it is a strictly DIY outfit and that I WILL NOT handle anyone else's horses or "do" them. It is the responsibility of the livery to do their own horses, feed, muck out, turn-out etc.

If you expected someone to feed & turn-out your horse for you then why didn't you go to assisted livery, or working livery???

I've been in exactly the same position as your yard owner, and feel very sorry for him or her, i.e. with something trying to climb over the stable door because no-one came to see to it or feed it for an extended period and it was shut in the stable and going totally mental; and its not funny I tell you having to deal with a situation like that, thinking the horse is gonna injure itself and you are going to have to get the vet out PDQ, and wondering where the heck the owner's got to and being unable to contact them.

Please do your horse and particularly your poor YO a favour, and take yourself somewhere else where they won't have any nonsense and if someone else has to see to your horse for you, they will bill you for it.

Lotty

Visit site
I pay £100.00 a month for DIY, this includes:

The YO is a farmer so there is no assisted help.
24/7 Turnout in the summer. When clocks go back they have to come in.
Horse walker.
Outdoor school with lights.
Stable.
Hay and straw - as much as you want.
Own paddock.

bertin12

Visit site
110 per month for stable & all year round grazing & free use of school etc. also can go down at any time. we dont get bedding/ hay included but we have suppliers who come regularly and a few of us will buy togehter and split the costs.
my friend will turn out/ bring him in if i ask & in return i bring in/ turn out her horse if asked

aimsymc

Visit site
OP are you new to horse ownership?

At my yard I pay 35pw and that includes feeding in morn and given a haynet, I pay for my hay at £1 per net and buy my own bedding. They are all fed together in the morn as there are full liveries and YO wouldnt feed some and not others. It works really well for me.

I class this as assisted livery, If I was diy Id be doing it myself!!

JFTDWS

Visit site
I pay £200 pcm for three fields, two stables, mains water, solar light usage and no interference from anyone with my little herd :)

I thought DIY was pretty self explanatory :eek:

Zarkaz

Visit site
Ok yes I know what DIY is. I only said I assumed because every other yard I was at did guessing this one doesnt- I admit I was wrong but can I just say it was one night before you all start giving me abuse! I am not a troll! If I seen a horse in its stable with no water I would top it up then tell the owner that the horse was left with none I wouldnt leave it DIY or not. Like I said it was my bad and it wont be happening again!

superted1989

Visit site
Ours is £80 per calendar month, or £20 if you prefer weekly for stable and grazing.
It's totally DIY although we can buy hay and straw (made on the farm) at cost price. We have plenty of turnout all year round.
It's a very friendly yard and most people club together to help each other out for rug changes, bringing in/out etc.
YO will always help if she can, and we help her with her ponies when needed. She does do a 'grass assisted' for a few retired horses, twice daily check over, feet done, rugs done and hay as needed but i have no idea what the charge is for that. Basic DIY grass only is £15 per week.
We have a decent sand school and YO bought us a brand new set of jumps last year, we're hoping for a few mirrors if she wins the lottery!

depurple1

Visit site
Not sure if this is a wind up - unsure how someone would just assume that their DIY livery includes turnout without checking?! It's DIY - Do It Yourself...

Anyhows, I have a flexible arrangement - each month I do my horse a diary sheet, which normally equates to full livery in the week (unless I am working locally), and DIY at the weekend and any days off that I have. My costs aren't really representative as I get mates rates for helping on the yard.

aimsymc

Visit site
Ok yes I know what DIY is. I only said I assumed because every other yard I was at did guessing this one doesnt- I admit I was wrong but can I just say it was one night before you all start giving me abuse! I am not a troll! If I seen a horse in its stable with no water I would top it up then tell the owner that the horse was left with none I wouldnt leave it DIY or not. Like I said it was my bad and it wont be happening again!

I have to agree about not leaving anythin with no water, but i wouldnt always notice other peoples.

TakeAChance

Visit site
Unbelievable! My yard is DIY and I pay extra for TO/BO that I arrange by communicating with the YO. I would never just assume something would be done!

X

xspiralx

Always a good idea to check what is or isn't included rather than assuming! :rolleyes:

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
assumption is a dangerous thing. DIY means do it yourself!! self explanatory in the title. diy generally means a minimum of 2 visists approx 12 hours apart to deal with and check and feed your horse! BUT if i had been your yard owner i would have dealt with your horse ie hay and water AND i would have billed you accordingly. but communication is the key to happy livering, so i would suggest you have a good chat with your YO and sort something out between you so that your horse benefits from the arrangement. failing that get up and DIY!!! before work.

Marydoll

Visit site
Im £120 per horse every 4 weeks
Indoor barn stables, with drinkers, im only one there.
Large 5 acre field with water in it directly across from stables
Horse shower and solarium
Heated locked tack room
Large floodlit sand and rubber arena with full set of jumps and fillers
Heated tea area, microwave and kettle
Showering facilities and toilet.
Free trailer parking
Off road hacking over 100s acres of farm land with lots of tracks and country roads with next to no traffic.
Im so lucky as its only 2-3 minutes from home

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I think there are two lessons to learn here -

1. Find out everything when you go to a new yard, even things you think are obvious.

2. If the YO rings/texts to say there is a problem go and check or at least ring..

Zarkaz

Visit site
I do feel really guilty after reading these replies i know i shouldn't of assumed i should of checked it really has put me on a downer :( but all is well and things have been arranged now and no harm came to my boy. I hope you can all forgive me for sounding so stupid reading it back it really is! iv genuinely had a bad day and my family really aren't interested in my pony so next best thing is to have a rant and rave on here :(

Syrah

Visit site
I do feel really guilty after reading these replies i know i shouldn't of assumed i should of checked it really has put me on a downer :( but all is well and things have been arranged now and no harm came to my boy. I hope you can all forgive me for sounding so stupid reading it back it really is! iv genuinely had a bad day and my family really aren't interested in my pony so next best thing is to have a rant and rave on here :(

Don't feel too bad, you made a mistake, horse is fine and tomorrow is another day :)

However, your blood will be required from some :D;)

Marydoll

Visit site

Oh to be perfect and never make a mistake:D:D
Dont be to hard on yourself, lesson learned, and as you say your boys alright
so let it go and stop beating yourself up ;)

Zarkaz

Visit site
Oh to be perfect and never make a mistake:D:D
Dont be to hard on yourself, lesson learned, and as you say your boys alright
so let it go and stop beating yourself up ;)
and thankyou :) i am not out for sympathy its just nice to speak to horsey peeps which is why i joined H&H :)

Kobie

Visit site
I'm on assisted DIY for £193.88 per month, includes unlimited hay and straw 24/7 summer turnout daytime winter turnout, floodlit school and off road farm hacking.

SavingGrace

Visit site
I am on part livery - She is mucked out, turned out, brought in, hard feed, bedding, hay all included only thing only thing that isn't done on a sat and sun is mucking out although if I am not going to be there it is done at no extra cost. We have indoor school, outdoor school, cross country course, all year turnout, excellent off road hacking on our door step. I am £76 per week for that.