What do you guys think about full loan????

251libby

Visit site
As title, I am thinking about putting my girl out on full loan only for about 6 months or so, what do you think??
She is a bit quirky (not good to hack out) do you think someone would be interested??

Damnation

Visit site
You will never know until you try
grin.gif

I have taken a very green 16hh 3 year old tb on loan before and he had done nothing, not seen trotting poles, never been hacked etc. I did everything bar jumping with him so there are poeple out there that will work with green or quirky horses
smile.gif

Just ensure you have a contract (BHS has one on their website that you can use I think) and that you check up on your horse regularly. If nescisarry have a trial period
smile.gif

Izzi
laugh.gif

missy2

Visit site
we put a pony on loan a few years ago. the lady said, i didnt realise mucking out was such a pain and she brought him back a week later, it was realy anoying as he was such a good pony and it can unsetle them but in saying that we let another lady take him with a three month trial and she did end up buying him even though it took a year to get the mony off her. if you decide to loan your pony then be prepared as u can get messed about alot your pony may keep being returned if it cant be ridden out some people do think they know it all and might think that they can sort out the problem and realise they cant and send your pony back.

JessPickle

Visit site
I think it would be worth a try. You could always do a 2 week trial at your yard first. My friend got a loan pony and was offered to try the pony for 2 weeks at her own yard, it meant she already knew said ponies quirks before she got it home.

I could talk to a few people locally see if I know anyone interested

251libby

Visit site
Yes please jesspickle! the thing is I really do not want to sell yet (if ever) I feel so responsible for her and as you know we've come along way.
I'm moving out of my parents house and into a home of my own - I just want 6 months or so to get sorted financially.
If I cant find someone to full loan then I will just put her out to grass livery. It's just you hear so many horror stories. But my pony really is perfect apart from the hacking out, trouble is most people rate hacking out high on their list of priorities (sp) myself included!
Jess - I hacked her out all over the weekend after my allmost accident on thurs and she was ok, spooking but no napping so hopfully it will improve although I wouldn't want anyone else to risk their neak.
I think I would def do a two week trial if all goes ahead.
Thanks everyone x

millitiger

Visit site
i have my eventer out on full loan BUT he is loaned to a professional event yard (4****/Olympic rider etc) where he is teaching working pupils and living the life of riley.

i would not loan him out to a 'normal' person at a 'normal' yard as i would be constantly worrying about how he is being looked after and ridden.

for the same reason i wouldn't loan any of my other horses out- i would either sell or put on grass livery

Natch

Visit site
I don' t think its particularly fair to the horse or loanee to loan her out for 6 months - why not put her on grass livery and get a sharer in? Sharer gets a good deal, you get her exercised and you get a bit of contribution towards her keep.
smile.gif

251libby

Visit site
Why would that not be fair - I would obviously stipulate to the loanee that it would only be for this length of time. They would have her for the showing season, she is pretty easy going?
Why wouldn't it be fair?

Natch

Visit site
Fair play if you say its only for that amount of time upfront, i have seen all too many people do this but not tell them so i probably unfairly assumed there. Do you think you will have any takers of suitable experience etc? Just wondering if the right type of people will want one for only 6 months, i don't know the answer to that.

The other part of my last comment was is it fair on the horse to move house and "owner/keeper" and back again in quite a short period of time?

251libby

Visit site
I know that it probably wouldn't be fair to her to keep moving and it is something that has been playing on my mind a bit.
What I was hoping for was a teenager that wanted to do pony club over the summer, as she really is perfect for this and also really enjoys it and in a compleate ideal world they would keep her at the yard i'm at now.
TBH I think I will just have to put her on grass livery, I wouldn't need a sharer becuause all i'm worried about is the finances whilst I get myself sorted.

HenryandPeta

Visit site
The only problem is that 6 months isn't really a very long period of time. By the time someone has the 2 week trial, and moves the horse to where they want her, they only have maybe 5 months left, and most of that would be spent just getting to know your horse properly. On the other hand, it might suit someone looking for a summer of showing and some fun! Depends on the individual obviously!

The BHS contract is a good one to adapt - I loan Gulliver as a companion, and his owner and I agreed the clauses together concerning what would be best for all involved.