What do you hate that everyone else loves?

SpringArising

Visit site
  • I don't like matchy matchy or LeMieux - the pads are abrasive and the sizing is huge!
  • Badly fitting loose ring bits (why does everyone have a size too small?!), so the horse ends up pinched each side of the mouth.
  • Bridles which are clearly too small, so really tight across the headpiece.
  • Horse fleeces made of actual fleece, so everything sticks.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Fly veils. Absolutely ghastly things that look ridiculous especially those tie down ones.

My horse hates those lovely cosy looking combo rugs apparently the Velcro on the necks and it being up round your ears are absolutely terrifying and very traumatic when you're a Welsh D!

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Agree with you on those. I don't like match matchy and bling, but it's relatively harmless. Badly fitting tack or unnecessary extras are detrimental to the horses well being. My biggest bug bear is when horses that aren't ridden, have a full set of shoes. So many times, the owners say that are going to ride and keep the shoes on, but never actually get in the saddle. Not riding is fine, but let the horse have it's feet free.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Oh yes bling, I window shop saddlecloths as I'm trying to save money and don't need another one and they all seem to have some sort of bling on them now or a huge logo, something else that I dislike!

I love the schockemohle ones as they have just a small classy looking logo and most don't have bling on. Unfortunately certainly not something I can allow myself to buy as they aren't cheap!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Matchy matchy is just playing dress up; no harm in it it but what a waste of...money/effort/brain activity/everything (see also: bling)

And just added bum-freezer jackets, thanks for reminding me.

Last edited:

twiggy2

Visit site
Bling
Matchy matchy
Loud colours on horses
Anything with a big logo
The fact that when brand names become popular they cease to produce good quality fundtional items
Puppies that dig and claw at the door to come in

Nasicus

Visit site
Bling. Bling all the things. Bling your hat, bling your bridle, bling your bloody snaffle. Obviously there's a market for it, but I've never been a blingbling girly girl!

A bit random but cobs with a hogged mane....and then the forelock left long....WHY? Even worse, to go to a competition with said forelock plaited!!
I hog the mane because of sweetitch and leave the forelock, but I also let the mane grow back up until it starts to flop over. I think it looks like a chelsea hawk (female mohawk with a fringe), which amuses me greatly! If you couldn't tell already, I don't show ;)

JFTDWS

Visit site
My mare is hogged with a forelock... It's quite normal in some circles. And she's not even a cob :eek: I really don't like hogged forelocks, but I'm partial to a partial hog that leaves only the forelock :p

I don't like fancy moving warmbloods. And I don't much like Valegro either. I think that last one pretty much puts me in the doghouse with almost everyone :oops:

GreyMane

Visit site
Clipping "artistic" designs on horses.

Tattoos, body piercing, making big holes in your earlobes (crosses legs), big beards, manscaping, Naked Attraction.

Christmas LED lights in flashing blue - especially indoors.
For that festive "the ambulance has arrived" feeling (shiver).

Banksy.

I'm sorry. It's my age! I need a Shaping Plan to cope with it all.

There was a Dennis Potter play with a group called "Reality or Nothing".
Methinks there should be a place for one called "Natural or Nothing".

Horsekaren

Visit site
Horses tacked up to the eye balls for fashion.
Dark colored horses, they always look too clean, its just not on when you own a grey!
Anything with Diamontes !Yuck!
Being convinced i have actually been born without a core and there is a blubby jelly like substance where my muscles should be :D
Muscle memory... when its the wrong muscles remembering grrr!

meleeka

Visit site
I’m with you OP on the fleece. Does anyone wear one that actually looks after horses as opposed to full livery?! I do own a couple but it takes longer to get the hay off them than it does to fill the haynets in the first place.

Controversial I know but fly rugs for the majority of horses, especially those that wear rugs all winter and fly rugs all summer. Most horses just bred a good fly repellent (some horses have super sensitive skin I know).

catkin

Visit site
Dark colored horses, they always look too clean, its just not on when you own a grey!

Ha ha ha!
after owning one grey we've now got a 'no white preferably or no white above the 'ankles'' rule ;)

there is a down side to dark horses - if they are dark brown they are perfectly camoflaged against bushes and give you palpitations when you think they've gone walkabout!

SWE

Visit site
Ghastly bright coloured cross country colours! Hatsilks are about as far as I'm happy to go but colourful tops/numnahs/boots etc, no thank you!!

alainax

Visit site
I love matchy matchy 😊 I don’t do designer clothes, so it’s my only fashion expression 😂

I don’t like the word hate, there’s very few things in the world I hate, I tend to reserve that word for special circumstances.

So I dislike...

The fascination with pulling heads in. Pony standing completely still with gob yanked till its head in with caption “ yay he’s in an outline!” And various other gob yanking head in pictures.
( I spent years getting my horse to stop being BTV so I’m sour 😂)

The expression “if you think you are too heavy you are”. Utter nonsense. People these days have such a warped sense of body image they are genuinely seeking proper advice and quite often are blooming fine.

Brought / bought! Argh! And now we have drawers/draws creeping in.