What do you look for in a lead rein pony?

marmalade76

Visit site
Just musing really.

We have a pony that will have to be sold on in a year or two and I am wondering just how saleable she will be as I know she's not perfect.

So my question is what do you look for in a lead rein pony, what will you tolerate and what not? Also, what affects price the most and what would you expect to pay for different types and not so perfect ponies?

Cheers x

The Fuzzy Furry

🦄 🦄
Visit site
For a general childs LR pony, this must be (for me) a paragon.

Must stand when tied, must not have vices, good to groom, tack up & generally have anything done with it that you would need to do and all that a child will do under supervision.
They may possibly have daisy/grass reins on (so small child does not get yanked out of the saddle if pony puts head down while adult isn't paying attention), but must otherwise be unflappable at walk, trot, popping a jump, go to pc & do handy pony/gymkhana all without having the vapours.

Now, a show pony lead-rein has to look spot on perfect and behave in the ring, otherwise quirks are overlooked at home.....

I would not tolerate any 'issues' at all for a LR pony as a child could easily be put at risk.
One with problems, I would label as a 2nd pony or suitable for experienced handler in some situations, but you do need to be very very honest when selling kiddies ponies.

Penumbra

Visit site
If it is difficult on the ground/to handle, then have you considered selling the pony to a riding school? In my experience, they may accept a slightly harder to handle pony for lead rein work, as it will mostly be handled by adults/older teenagers. Ideally it would accept being given a stroke by a child, and be tollerant of other horses/ponies though. It would have to be super safe ridden, but some misbehaviour in the stable etc would probably be tollerated/worked around. Conformation etc would not be such an issue as well, provided the pony was sound.

I think family homes generally want a pony that young children can safely handle or at least do a bit with themselves, so the pony would have to be pretty good in all ways on the ground- except possibly in the field. Many private homes will want the pony to be good with other horses, as they may want to ride and lead etc and may have limited options for turn out etc.

Whilst ridden, in any circumstance, I think it's very important the pony is not at all spooky, as young children lack the strength and balance to stay on, especially when inexperienced. I also think a pony that is happy to stand still for a long time whilst the child gets on, plays games like round the world etc, without getting wound up is pretty important. I think if the pony is really good under saddle then some other faults will be ignored by some homes. Can the pony do first ridden at all? Or is it not safe off the lead rein?

I am guessing the pony is quite small, so there wouldn't be much interest from 2nd ridden etc homes?

ozpoz

Visit site
It must be narrow - so important for little people's joints that they aren't over stretched. And of course, a paragon of virtue.
And pretty. And have a good shoulder,/front. And straight moving, not too extravagant : )

I wouldn't mind minor unsoundness or similar issues because the qualities I'm looking for are quite hard to find, all in one little pony.

blitznbobs

Visit site
Depends what you mean by a LR pony - show LR ponies tend to be fairly sharp and are sat on rather than ridden in the ring responding to the. Leaders body position - this is totally different to a child's pony - which is a paragon that deserves a medal and will put up with kids crawling over them under them and generally being mauled - I have one of each and the show LR SEC A is a little poo... The kids pony is a saint...

Bobbly

Visit site
Manners, manners, manners, ridden or on the ground. Should do as much as asked and nothing more and while on the lead rein, respond to the handlers instructions as the jockey is just a necessary accessory! (and if it's a show l/r, must NOT canter).

marmalade76

Visit site
Thank you for the replies.

I think family homes generally want a pony that young children can safely handle or at least do a bit with themselves, so the pony would have to be pretty good in all ways on the ground- except possibly in the field. Many private homes will want the pony to be good with other horses, as they may want to ride and lead etc and may have limited options for turn out etc.

Whilst ridden, in any circumstance, I think it's very important the pony is not at all spooky, as young children lack the strength and balance to stay on, especially when inexperienced. I also think a pony that is happy to stand still for a long time whilst the child gets on, plays games like round the world etc, without getting wound up is pretty important.

This is basically my pony. She loves children and is a real sweety. I don't let them bridle or unbridle her as it is a bit of a wrestle but other than that they can do anything with her, even loose in the paddock. Yes, they maul her, play with her tail, round the world. She is perfect on the lead rein (but canters!), goes as fast or as slow as the person leading, never pulls, never drags. Pops a jump, does gymkhana and handy pony (and knows the job well), good as gold. My children can go for weeks without riding, then we get her in and off we go, no worries about her being fresh. I can also ride and lead her. She' pretty, pure bred and registered, but I have no idea whether or not she is good enough to show.

However, she is not a dope on a rope, she has a bit about her and is no fool (from what I observed before I owned her, if you didn't treat her fairly she would play you up). She was ridden off LR before I had her and I and an older school friend of the children ride her off LR occasionally (I have done gymkhana on her myself and she is great fun!). She's fine in a school, jumping and in the gymkhana ring, but a bit nappy otherwise, but I have had her six years and she's been off the LR very little in this time.

The one big fault is she will kick out at other ponies if they get too close, manageable on the LR, not so easy with a child in charge :eek:

DSCF2644.jpg

Image042.jpg

182631_183053845064090_100000784278256_397206_1936513_n.jpg

tootsietoo

Visit site
You obviously really trust the pony! So she must be pretty safe. I don't know about prices really as both my ponies are aged and were free. I do think the most important characteristic in a pony for small children is tolerance! I think it is so hard to put a price on a small pony. They all have their quirks, and all suit different children and families, and even the same child but at different times! I think you probably have to ask a reasonable price (in the range of £500-£2000 depending on age and quality??) and hope you find the right people.

I have one who is a bit like yours sounds. She is so so safe and tolerant with the children, but very mareish, and has been known to kick out at other ponies and will also tank poor 6 year old child across the field to get back to her friends. However, I have learned how to manage her, and she is a dream pony in other respects (very responsive to small legs, steady, never refuses a cross pole) so she is working for us at the moment. I am sure yours would be saleable if, whilst being honest about her quirks, you play up her good bits strongly! The best option would be to try to pass her on to a local friend who knows her, I would have thought.

zoelouisem

Visit site
I think it's really important that lr ponies lunge well too. I did loads of lunging when my daughter had hers great way of being able to teach them.
Price wise I think lead rein/ 2nd ponies fetch around £1500 maybe £2000 at a real push. It's the perfect first ridden ponies that fetch the mega money that you need a morgage for!

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to cooler days
Visit site
Quiet, biddable, tolerant and well mannered. We had one on loan for my son when he was 4yo. She was an elderly girl who hadn't been ridden for over a year. William got on and she walked quietly down the road. She stayed with us for about a year. He did all sorts with her, mainly child handler and lead rein. She was as good as gold for him. We had a love/hate relationship, typical mare she was, I don't do mares really and we didn't really get along but she was good for William and that was the important thing. She wouldn't load for me but would for him! She could be nervy but not dangerously so.

April is a proper kids pony, they climb all over her (couldn't have done that with Poppy), maul her to pieces etc. As with all little ponies and most bigger ones too, they have their weaknesses and it's what you are willing to put up with. April for instance isn't fussed about being mauled in the field when loose but put her on a headcollar she's fine. She's brilliant at following or being lead out on the forest.

Safe and sane ponies are worth their weight in gold.

marmalade76

Visit site
I have been thinking to myself (between admiring Hugh Jackman) and have realised that she is never, ever grumpy with anyone (apart from other ponies), always has a smile on her face and is always pleased to see us. I do realise that she has a lot to offer, but I feel that people these days are less willing to compromise and there are some out there who have unrealistic expectations.

Many thanks, all x

Penumbra

Visit site
Thank you for the replies.

This is basically my pony. She loves children and is a real sweety. I don't let them bridle or unbridle her as it is a bit of a wrestle but other than that they can do anything with her, even loose in the paddock. Yes, they maul her, play with her tail, round the world. She is perfect on the lead rein (but canters!), goes as fast or as slow as the person leading, never pulls, never drags. Pops a jump, does gymkhana and handy pony (and knows the job well), good as gold. My children can go for weeks without riding, then we get her in and off we go, no worries about her being fresh. I can also ride and lead her. She' pretty, pure bred and registered, but I have no idea whether or not she is good enough to show.

However, she is not a dope on a rope, she has a bit about her and is no fool (from what I observed before I owned her, if you didn't treat her fairly she would play you up). She was ridden off LR before I had her and I and an older school friend of the children ride her off LR occasionally (I have done gymkhana on her myself and she is great fun!). She's fine in a school, jumping and in the gymkhana ring, but a bit nappy otherwise, but I have had her six years and she's been off the LR very little in this time.

The one big fault is she will kick out at other ponies if they get too close, manageable on the LR, not so easy with a child in charge :eek:

She sounds and looks super, and I am sure you will be able to find a home for her no problem, as she looks so good in your photos. I think she sounds ideally for a family home with an experienced parent to stay in control. I do think people will compromise on the kicking if they don't need her to be ridden with other ponies much- as (ime) people will compromise to have a kind, friendly pony their children can groom, play with and ride.

Good luck finding a home for her.