What do you look for when looking for a loaner for your horse?

Gatsby1994

Visit site
I'm looking to loan out my horse whilst I go work away in Australia for 12 months.
I've never loaned out a horse before and want to know what you'd look for?
The intention is that he is to stay on the current yard as he's settled there better than he has anywhere as at all.
He's only 6 so still needs some work doing but he's essentially very well schooled.

I'm hoping to do a 12 month loan, possible 24 months to stay on current yard - they pay for everything etc, but I will cover if it's a large vets bill!

Is there anything else I should look for in a loaner? You read horror stories and I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing before I set off for my work. Oh and a contract is a must!

be positive

Visit site
You are limiting your options by restricting to keeping him on the same yard but if the YO is going to keep an eye on him I can see why, with that in mind I think you need to advertise and see who comes along, then assess, take up references and if they are suitable get a very firm contract in place.
I would also give authority to act to the YO just in case anything happens and you cannot be contacted or the loaner tries to move him elsewhere, better than the loaner having the final say, the YO will probably want a contract to cover the livery side of things and full insurance cover for horse is a must in my view, if it were my young horse I would probably rather sell but if that is not an option for you I think I would take out a LOU insurance in case you come back to a partly broken horse that cannot do what you bought him for.

googol

Visit site
Would you not consider giving him the year out? I don’t want to be negative but so many things could go wrong and he’s so young. I think it will be hard to get someone good enough to keep up his schooling / not let it go backwards, and stay at your yard, and take care of all the bills. Maybe it’s just in my area, but imo people of that calibre are more likely to have/want their own horse! They’re essentially going to put in a year of work / schooling and then hand the horse back to you, after paying all the bills...

11bluewolf

Visit site
Although it is difficult you can definitely find reliable loaners! I think its a good idea to start the loan maybe 6 month or so before you go away, then you can be sure that they are serious! As others haves said, its a good idea to have a plan B - like turning away?

Lintel

Visit site
If he were mine I would plan B it and turn away. Even good loaners can ruin your hard work so easily. He is young and impressionable still at 6, definitely wouldn't run the risk of anyone ruining him.
That being said if it is not an option then I'd look for SANITY initially!

Flicker

Visit site
Not sure if it would work in your situation but our yard has a full livery service and one of our liveries is away on secondment with Work, for a fairly long time. The horse is on full livery and a few, selected, liveries and previous liveries who are ‘between horses’, hack him a few times a week. It’s lovely for them because he is very sweet, and the owner will come back to a reasonably fit horse.
Not sure what the insurance arrangements are if anything goes wrong, I presume they sorted that between them.
Possibly a Plan C ?

Elbie

Visit site
They’re essentially going to put in a year of work / schooling and then hand the horse back to you, after paying all the bills...

This.

You would definitely need something quite firm in the contract as you wouldn't want them to walk away a few months after you've gone. As someone else says may be worth starting the loan before you go

alexomahony

Visit site
I've had great success with loaners, however - in your situation and with the age of your horse I'd turn him away for the year. Even those most well meaning initially can become unreliable and having to sort out something from Australia would be such hard work and stress for you.

Another option would be him going to a riding school and being used for the better, more experienced riders somewhere you trust but that would be risky and it'd be totally dependent on the horses personality.

Whatever you do, take the time and ask legal help to draw up a very precise contract to ensure the best outcome for every eventuality.

You need to think of everything from the loaner not being as reliable and being neglectful of the horse, where your livery yard owner stands as far as whether she can decide enough is enough if the loaner isn't good, and what should happen to the horse in the event of your passing should you have a tragic accident whilst away (Not something we want to think about, but also we must).

You're braver than me and I wish you all the luck in the world finding a great loaner who is everything you need, but have many contingencies in place just in case it doesn't turn out that way.

x

pixie27

Visit site
My OH and I are planning on going travelling in the next year or two, and I've decided I'll turn mine away (or keep him on full livery at our current yard). Considered loaning but I think too much can go wrong, and I'd rather give him time off than risking someone breaking/stealing him.

If I was going to loan, I'd want someone through word of mouth that lots of people can vouch for/that you know of before you leave.

Gatsby1994

Visit site
I hadn't actually considered turning him away for the year. But given what you have all said, perhaps that would be the best option, he is already on full livery, so perhaps just asking for a exercise once or twice a week might be the best thing for him. Just ticking over till I'm back from work. Money was never the issue, I just didn't want to pay for someone to joyride and not do anything for him, the payment was more just to confirm that they were serious about loaning him! I'd have been happy to share with them once I'd returned, as some of you said, that way it doesn't look like I'm just after someone to school him for a year when really I just wanted someone to love him and enjoy him whilst I'm gone!

But thanks for all the advice! I have a game plan now!