What do you pay for livery??

Bamber

New User
Visit site
I am using another user name as I know my YO comes on here and I wouldn't want to upset her for the world but I need some advice on livery prices.

I am very happy at the yard we are at however I have heard rumors from other liveries that the rent is going to go up. At the moment we pay £150 every 4 weeks for that we get:

Stable - The stables are a reasonable size
Tack Room - a locked secure tack room
Hay storage which is not huge but big enough to store 20 bales each
Parking for our lorries
Individual turnout which is not the best but I have seen a lot worse
Menage which is pretty rubbish to be honest. It floods whenever it rains but it is a menage none the less.

no bedding, feed or services. The area we are in is nice, the hacking is great with miles of off road (not YO's land though)

I have been told that what we are paying already is pretty expensive and if it goes up it will more than likely be to £160, ie £40 a week, now I think that that is a lot, we are in Essex.

I was wondering how this compares with what others pay.

Thanks

kerrieberry2

Visit site
Im between winchester and basingstoke

I pay £150 a month for 2 horses and a shetland on grass livery! but I have the use of 2 stables. which I choose to use for storage! 4 fields with pretty rubbish fencing, so I've had to put up a load of electric fencing! 2 field shelters, a massive barn to store hay but its full of old bales of haylage so I have to work around it! but we have amazing hacking, 98% off road and the roads we do have to ride on are really quiet! and i can do what I want there!

gardenoftrees

Visit site
I know of a couple in Essex that are £25 per week. One has really good hacking the other not so good. The stables are in barns with automatic waterers, both with good menages although no lights on the one with good hacking. Turnout is good for horses not so good for ponies and not individual. Neither provides bedding etc. One is north Essex the other south.

JenTaz

Visit site
I pay £50 a week for DIY, I know it may sound expensive but the yard is amazing, its ran by the uni I am at

Hay and Straw is included in the price
we have a nice field with only 3 horses in it, good fencing etc
big stable must be at least 12x10 its massive!
indoor and outdoor school both floodlit, round pen, indoor and outdoor all weather turn out areas, and a horse walker.

Competitions are held 2/3 times a month which for me is perfect, the hacking isnt great, but im not to fussed, can get a to a decent beach it takes half an hour, best hack we have found so far.

Im currently in Mid Wales

Pie's mum

Visit site
I'm in Devon. Currently paying £30 a week for 24/7 turnout including stable and school. It's all a bit run down and school is rubbish. Moving next week to a yard with a nice indoor, loads of fields that are rotated, fab hacking, lorry parking... For £35 a week! No hay or straw includes at either yard. I do think livery is relatively cheaper down here though...

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Woman next door is paying £150pcm for stable, grazing, feed room (shared) & room to store around 20 small bales of hay inside & also around 10 bales bedding. This is a set up where Woman 1 rents the entire place for £300pcm & is allowed to sub let to 1 other horse-owner with no more than 3 horses/ponie allowed on it.
No school (but can ride in field if not too wet) no power, no tackroom - tho land goes direct onto hacking.
Fields are well draining & there is a shelter in their summer paddock.
Its 6 miles from M25, 2 miles from large town & 26 mins from Waterloo by fast train.

My set up is bigger, with P&R fencing, lighting in stables, parking etc & I was charging £30pw 4 yrs ago (tho no school).
I dont do liveries any more..........

Boxers

Visit site
Stable - The stables are a reasonable size
Tack Room - a locked secure tack room
Hay storage which is not huge but big enough to store 20 bales each
Parking for our lorries
Individual turnout which is not the best but I have seen a lot worse
Menage which is pretty rubbish to be honest. It floods whenever it rains but it is a menage none the less.

no bedding, feed or services. The area we are in is nice, the hacking is great with miles of off road (not YO's land though)

I'm in Lincs and pay £20 for the same as you are getting. I buy hay and bedding from the YO and buy my own feed from a local store. This is DIY. Our menage is great and has lights for winter evenings and we can use the YO's jumps.

Yours sounds expensive to me!

zaminda

Visit site
I'm not on a livery yard, but round us the yards vary between £160 for all inclusive (hay and straw) DIY with well maintained paddocks and an ok school. My friend pays £280 per month for DIY she has lovely paddocks, an indoor, outdoor, and horse walker, and has all her hay, straw, and feed included. Plus they put feeds in. We are in Wiltshire. My friend in Essex pays £120 PW for lovely yard on full livery all inclusive, with nice school etc, so does sound like yours is quite expensive, unless you are near London.

HaffiesRock

Visit site
I am in Nottingham.

It varies soooooo much where I am! I pay £65 a month for grass livery, field for schooling but not flood lit, but amazing hacking. Fields well kept and free help on hand. I could have a stable and my pony turn out each day for £100 a month. (Hay straw extra but YO arranges)

My friend is in the same village as me and pays £151 for stable and turnout, but the fields are rubbish and they have to be in during the day in summer and in at night during winter. They do have a floodlit school, but it is only about 5x15m and too small to school a fresh TB! (Hay straw extra but YO arranges and overshcrges)

Or further down the road for £130 you can have a stable and turnout, 3 menages all floodlit, the biggest being 40x40m, lunge pen, x country course, show jump paddock, miles of on land hacking etc, gallops, hunt goes from there, endurance rides regularly, basically my dream yard, but my budget doesnt stretch that far!

You really do have to look around for a good deal I think. x

Misog2000

Visit site
I'm in Essex, I pay 35 a week for my stable, grazing, hay and straw (ad lib) and mine is one of the more expensive stables on the yard as its huge. We have a big ménage, the surface isn't great, but it's usable all year and is floodlit. It's not a posh yard, but we like it :)

Mongoose11

Visit site
Bedfordshire - £27.50 a week, massive rubber matted stable, beautifully maintained paddock with good fencing and very plentiful grass, extra paddocks to move to, well maintained dressage arena with lights. Shavings and home grown hay to purchase. Out of the front gate and onto miles of bridle ways.

All rolled into the fact that it is a private home with only 2 other liveries. Bliss.

Chestnutmare

Visit site
Im Essex and pay £150 a mth with services incl fantastic YO and liveries absolutely LOVE my yard and wouldn't move for the world.

Whereabouts in Essex are you?
Im Colchester

Irishcobs

Visit site
£125 per month includes hay and straw. Individual turnout paddocks, large stable (i'm one of the lucky ones) Manage (not very good surface so I don't use it) exercise field with a few jumps and very good hacking.

Bamber

New User
Visit site
Prices really do vary a lot, I am quite surprised at the differences.

I am in North Essex, I need to look around the tack shops and see what is about too. I don't want to move and probably won't as I love the yard and the people there!

Zargon_91

Visit site
I pay £60 a week for DIY in warwickshire
Sounds expensive but its a college, with lots of onsite competitions (including BD and BE) and livery includes adlib hay/haylage/hifi
american barn stabling, full bed (plus 1 bale a week to maintain in shavings or flax or wood pellet as youre choice) communal turnout (can be kicky, but heards are better for horses and fields are massive) use of walker, sand turnout pen, massive (50x100) outdoor arena, 45x70 covered arena, 45x60 indoor arena, riding club onsite, lessons, training, opportunity to have horses seen for free by farriers and mctimoney etc.
I think that equates to good value :)

Lurds

Visit site
Im in Essex
I pay £15 a week for out 24/7 but stable if ill or lame or what not and stables are £25 a week still 24/7 turnout just bring them in when you want
Use of ménage, locked tack room, hay straw storage, feed room, great hacking.

3 horses in a 4 acre field - YO doesn't know that much but if you ask him he will do anything I.e field maintenance, feed your horse.