What do you personally consider to be a big jump?

OskyWoskyPonio

Visit site
For me it would probably be anything over 1m10 but then if you had asked me this time last year i would have said 90cms!
How much bigger do you tend to jump at home than at competitions? :)

bigboyrocky

Visit site
Really depends what horse im on! on Rocky (horse in my siggy) 1.40m would be small because hes so scopey!
Now on the new ponio, hes very green, so i would think sh*t this is big, coming into anything more than 3'6/1.10m ish at the moment! :p

KatB

Visit site
Anything above 1.10 needs riding too properly IMHO, anything below that can be cleared quite easily even if you mess up to some extent. Therefore I would say anything over 1.10 is a "big" fence! However, in the grand scale of things, it isn't if you think SJers jump tracks at 1.45m as standard at the higher levels :p

As bigboyrocky says, it depends on your horse really. My mare now clears fences that were at the top of my coloureds "comfort zone" with me easily, so therefore they seem a smaller fence than they did on him.

A long and complicated answer to a simple question :p

Last edited:

eishi

Visit site
Depends who I'm riding and whether it's a showjump or xc or in a course or alone..

but I'd say yes 1m10 is sizeable (especially if its a showjump... I'd happily jump a 4ft hedge instead :D )

My 6yo is out doing PN and has done some 90cm at a bsja, but in a recent lesson we worked him over some grids with them gradually getting bigger to get him to push more and we ended up at about 1.15, there's no chance he could jump a course of 1m15 though he just isn't strong enough behind yet!

My 11yo is better at a competition if you don't overjump him at home, infact we regularly jump smaller at home than at competitions to practice technique. He's doing BE nov and some disco/newcomers.

OskyWoskyPonio

Visit site
but I'd say yes 1m10 is sizeable (especially if its a showjump... I'd happily jump a 4ft hedge instead :D )
Very true! Especially if the show jump is rather "gappy"!!!
I think it's more me and my own confidence as my horse can easily clear bigger but then a lot of horses (including mine) feed of the riders confidence so although he could probably jump a lot bigger with someone really confident, for now I'm sticking within my comfort zone! ;)

eishi

Visit site
, for now I'm sticking within my comfort zone! ;)

sensible!
To be honest It annoys me when people are like ohhh my horse can jump 3m (okay joking maybe 1m40 :D ) easily! I'm like okay yes maybe they can jump a one off fence that big but I bet not a course!
riding tidily round a course of fences is much more important than how big you can jump just a one off.. unless you are into the puissance thing haha!

nemo_

Visit site
For me and my 14.2 connie, I would say anything above 1m, but it does depend a bit on how confident we're both feeling! :p I know he can do it (accoridng to prev. owner jumped 1m bsja, but I tend not to believe her now:rolleyes:), but he does lack confidence so rider needs to tell him to do it, not something I'm always good at! :eek: But to answer your question, we usually school and compete about 80/90 cm :)

RobinHood

Visit site
It depends what sort of jump it is! Out hunting if someone else jumps it then I'm jumping it too, there was nothing this season I wussed out of (vwh country on a 15hh connie). Show jumps on the other hand are very scary and at the moment my limit is 1m/1m05. I'd honestly rather jump a 4ft hedge or wall with a drop on landing than a 3ft parallel :eek:.

Annette4

Visit site
Until I'm confident and trust my horse 2ft6 is the top end of my comfort zone. With Ruby 3ft6 was the top end of my comfort zone but then I trusted her to take me even if I sat still and swore at the top of my lungs.....

in short....tiny jumps because I'm a wuss!

OskyWoskyPonio

Visit site
I'd honestly rather jump a 4ft hedge or wall with a drop on landing than a 3ft parallel :eek:.
Same :) and I also much prefer parallels or ascending spreads to uprights and I would much rather the SJ had a scary filler in it to fill in the gapiness, make the horse back off and get up in the air!

charlimouse

Visit site
Completly depends which horse i'm riding. On Murphy I'm happy jumping a course upto 1.25m, any bigger and it begins to look big!!!! When Millie was in work I was comfortable jumping 1.20 courses. For Jem a 1.10m jump is pretty decent, and for Colin a 1m fence is fairly sizable. Pippa looses bottle at any fence over 90cm, so any bigger I begin to get worried!!!!!

charlimouse

Visit site
I found Pippa's limit when I tried to move up to Pre novice although she was jumping the jumps she was backing off, and just didn't feel to be enjoying it! At intro she was perfecty happy so that was her limit.

spookypony

Visit site
If I trust that the horse is happy, then 1.05 is about my comfortable limit at the moment for a course. On the Spooky Pony, 40cm can look scary!

Golden_Match_II

www.event-stablebarn.weebly.com
I never jump my horses at home, apart from Andy! :eek:

On Tam, I have never jumped a jump that has felt big, if you know what I mean. I have jumped a 1m15 course on her, and she was perfectly comfortable at that height, so I guess I have no idea what a 'big' fence for her is.

On Millie, I jumped a double at 1m15, and I think that that was pretty amazing for her really, and therefore that would be a big jump for her. She was bold as anything, but when you come to a double at 1m15 on a 137cms pony, it's a bit scary :p

On Andy, I've jumped him a course of 1m10, single fence 1m20, and the 1m10 seemed plenty for him, but this was at camp last year, so he was 6. I suppose time will tell, but I shan't be doing any bigger than BE90 height this year!! ;)

kerilli

Visit site
as above, depends very much on the horse. also, if you're talking about xc, depends a lot on the terrain and type of fence.
personally though, for sj, when my eye is in, i think 4' ish is big, more so if it's a wide square parallel, but when i'm out of practice then anything over 3'6". it's a long time since i jumped what i considered to be a really big fence!

jumptoit

Visit site
Do you ever worry about finding your horses limit?? Sorry i'm in a pondering kind of mood! :p

I think I have found my horses limit she jumped round a 1m 25 course at camp but then went a bit backwards after that, wasn't happy at all stopping at 2ft. She's back jumping 1m 05 now but I doubt I'll push her any further than 1m 10, if she gets round a PN or a 1m 05 again then I'll be happy as she owes me nothing :).

OskyWoskyPonio

Visit site
she owes me nothing :).

Well I suppose it's a case that it is the rider with the aspirations rather than the horse in all the cases I have come across :p I mean so long as the horse is fed, watered and looked after properly they aren't to know that they can jump x height.
Having said that, I do also think many horses enjoy jumping :)