What do you put on your horses legs to travel?

rubyrumba

Visit site
Going to a show last weekend, we had to slam on suddenly and my horse went down. She had bandages on and she cut her leg through the bandages, must have been on the partition. So the next show I travelled to I put bandages and boots on her (It was only a short distance) If I was going further I think maybe it'd be too much (heat wise).
Just wondering what everyone else uses? Thanks!

Dancing Queen

Visit site
depends on the length - If its long i will put pads, bandages and then travel boots on.

if its a short distance then i just pop the travel boots on.

again this is all dependant upon temperature, if its too hot then i drop the pads.

china

Visit site
nothing really offers that much protection as boots slip! my YO had to do an emergency stop in the lorry and both horses (wearing travel boots) cut there legs in the exact same place!

HollyB66

Visit site
Pads and bandages for long trips as less likely to slip and more comfortable.

Travel boots for shorter journeys.

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
i use brushing boots.

Chico is still nervous of loading and travel boots just make him freak out more so i just pop brushing boots on all round and over reach boots on the front.

Enfys

Visit site
Nothing.

For those that have had horses cut themselves, (hopefully not seriously) what did they injure themselves on/with? Their own shoes? Just curious.

rubyrumba

Visit site
Well I usually use nothing, she was going to a show and has white legs so had pads and bandages on. She is 3 and has no shoes. Glad she had the bandages and pads on, can only think she must have cut her leg (somehow) on the partition as it was her nearside hind and she was on the drivers side of the trailer.

MiCsarah

Visit site
I dont like travel boots as find they slip and horse can stress in them. Sometimes I use nothing or bushing boots. If going furthur or to a show he has bandages on

irishdraft

Visit site
I do not put any form of boots or bandages on whilst travelling or being ridden for that matter, causes too many accidents.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Depends on horse, type of transport and distance.

Today, on an elderly and very well travelled Welsh Cob in a well-designed 7.5 tonne lorry with good grippy ramps, nothing.

NU ABO

Visit site
My boy has apparently always travelled well in his travel boots that came with him, so I will continue to use the same travel boots (no use arguing with something that works right?)
Plus he's a good traveller :D

Tiffany

Visit site
Travel boots front and back - they've never slipped and luckily she's never cut herself travelling. I think it's the newer, more fashionable softer fabric type boots that slip?

Hels_Bells

Visit site
Bandages for short journeys, bandages and pads for longer ones. Mine doesn't like travel boots much so we stick with bandages and pads. He's not the best balancer in the trailer so is better off in less bulky legwear!!

Ranyhyn

Visit site
I hatre boots, even the "expensive" Mark Todd ones frequently left the leg and went awol..

So now for short journeys I'm planning on using maybe these http://www.rideaway.co.uk/equilibrium-hardy-equi-chaps/default.aspx

or brushing boots and over reach boots - might bandage for longer journeys, if they ever happen. I just don't understand why people think a horse would be happy in big thick boots? Considering the sweat and exertion of travelling - I'd hate to be wrapped up in big thick cumbersome boots myself - that's my reasoning behind not doing it anyway :)