what do you think about single ifor williams horse trailers good/bad

Divasmum

Visit site
I don't know anything about the single Ifor Williams but have a single Cheval Liberte. It is very stable to tow and has plenty of standing space for the horse.

Caritas

Visit site
They are fab, I have one at present and it is the 2nd one that I have owned. Everyone is sceptical of them until you take their horse somewhere and they love them. Very spacious and stable, im a great lover of them. Good luck in whatever you decide!!

westparc

Visit site
we borrowed one about 3 years ago and dad loved towing with it but they look like they are abiout to tip over and have heared they are bad for tipping

jacksmum

Visit site
I borrowed one off a friend once and found it really easy to tow and my boy was very happy in it.
Only down side i found was i was used to a window in the front of my double Ifor and missed not being able to check/see him.
And i know when fried came to sell it she got her money back and had a queue of people wanting it.

MrWoof

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Bad! They are quite unstable and you would be better off with a double-easier to re-sell too

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree. They are coffins on wheels, as are most single trailers, especially those with single axles. A double would not be that much more expensive really - so much safer and so much easier to sell on whenever.

reddie

Visit site
We had one. It was brilliant to tow, very stable and every horse we have travelled in it loved it. When we sold it we could have sold it several times over. (Only sold cos selling up)

Jenz

Visit site
I asked the same question a while ago and got similar mixed reaction but slightly more swaying to positive. Looking around I would say they are very easy to sell (making them hard to buy!) the people I have enquired with to buy (Ifor Williams dealers etc.) have lists of people waiting to buy them, so don't think selling is a problem, you can sell for the same price as you buy second hand and get a couple of years free driving with it! I'm justing waiting to get a new car and will be looking more seriously for one myself. I guessed at the good prices and waiting lists, if I don't like it I can easily sell it, nothing lost, but most people have said I'll want to keep it.

Passtheshampoo

Visit site
IMO Better to get a single trailer if you only have one horse to travel and/or are limited with the amount of towing capacity of your vehicle. Why drag all that extra weight around behind you if you don't need a double? Our Cheval Liberte trailer is excellent to tow, same width as the car so less chance of catching a wheel on a curb. We had looked at the IW 401 also but the Cheval Liberte had more headheight and was slightly wider. I agree they do look unstable with being narrower than a double but like the other poster said I have only ever seen accidents involving doubles and all the weight is on the chassis so they do stick to the road and tow extremely well.

Ali2

Visit site
Great. We're a one horse family and tow a single Ifor with a 2 L turbo diesel Mondeo. Never had any problems with this arrangement. Current horse travels regularly in it with no probs. They actually get more width per horse in a single than a double. They seem to hold their value and sell on easily too.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Much better than the double - according to my horse. Very stable, more space than in a double and seem to be like hen's teeth if you want to buy a secondhand one so they keep their value well. Much nicer to tow than a double too.

wench

Visit site
I dont see why they would be unstable. When you think about it the weight is all in the middle, unlike a double with one in it, that has 600kg heavier on one side!

kezimac

Visit site
far better than a double, more stable and you know if the car will get thru a gap so wil the trailer!
theres none of this 'weight on one side' with a double with one horse. the ifor ones have more space on a single than the horse gets in a double with partition - i can tack up in mine.
I used to have a double but horse only travelled well without the partition and i was worried there was too much space so she could fall over so i invested in an ifor single and its fab.

Azabache

Visit site
I did consider getting one, but the one thing that put me off, was if my horse started playing up / fell there is no where for you to go. In a double though you can at least escape through to the other side.

hackedoff

Visit site
HI

Those of you uing single traielrs, what height and weight is your horse? I am considering getting a cheval librte 2000xxl (the widest mare and foal one) , will tow with my saab 93, have years of experience towing in the past with a mondeo and a richardson rosette!

Chunkie

Visit site
I have a 401. It is brilliant. I doubt very much if anyone who tells you they are "dangerous, liable to tip, unstable and difficult to sell" has EVER towed one.

They are like hens teeth, fantastic to tow as they aren't wider than your car so if the car goes through, the trailer goes. They are easy to manoevre by hand, you can see what's behind you, the stall is wider for the horse than an average double, the weight is all in the middle so you don't get uneven wear and tear, and trailers, whether single or double, do not cause accidents - stupid drivers do.

Obviously all comments I make refer to the 401 (mine is 4 yrs old) as I have no experience of any other make of trailer.