What do you think caused this injury?

ponyparty

Visit site
Bruce came in with a horrible injury on his near fore yesterday morning.

Got vet out as it was so swollen and he was so lame on it, good job too as when he probed it’s 2” deep in one place 🤢 vet doesn’t think fractured as he’s weight bearing well, however if he’s still very lame in a week to 10 days we will have to X-ray in case of hairline fracture.

I initially thought it was a bite (from another horse); vet thinks a kick; friend I share with is desperate for it not to be either as it means one of her horses inflicted it on him... poor girl is beside herself with guilt, it’s just one of those things though isn’t it?

It’s awful to see my boy in pain but since he’s been turned out with others he’s so much more settled and better behaved, it’s done him the world of good mentally.

He can’t cope with box rest so I have made him a small paddock in their field for now; they’re out overnight and in during the day.

Unfortunately he staggered coming out of his stable last night, onto my foot, breaking my big toe in two places, so I haven’t been up to see him yet today but apparently he was bright, eager to get in for his feed, less lame on it and more his usual self, so I am hopeful he will be ok 🤞🏽

We’re a right pair 😂 made for each other, me and that horse! Both as accident prone as each other!!

2090AB42-9BCF-4BB5-AF2E-12802DA71C20.jpeg7D651C52-5C0F-40CA-BE14-9F2EF4C40429.jpeg

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Talk about it never rains but it pours! I hope you both recover quickly.

I would normally say 'the vet has seen it, so is best placed to judge' but actually that is a very deep bite for another horse to have inflicted, it seems unlikely to me. Is there anything that he could have caught himself on in the field? That looks a more plausible explanation really.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Poor boy, I'd probably guess it was a kick, but I don't know your fields or other horses. I hope he recovers soon. Despite that, your post made me smile. You're a typical mad horse owner. Your horse just broke two of your toes and you're just bothered about him being in pain. Get well soon. Both of you x

ponyparty

Visit site
Well OH drove me up there this evening - once I've squeezed my foot into a boot it doesn't really hurt that much anyway...
Bruce is looking much better, back to his usual imperious self ;) swelling seems to have gone down a bit and when I turned him out he was walking much better. Vet out tomorrow to change the dressing so will have to see what it looks like then, fingers crossed for Brucey! Hope it looks better than my toe, which is black and blue and twice the size it usually is!

ponyparty

Visit site
Poor boy, I'd probably guess it was a kick, but I don't know your fields or other horses. I hope he recovers soon. Despite that, your post made me smile. You're a typical mad horse owner. Your horse just broke two of your toes and you're just bothered about him being in pain. Get well soon. Both of you x

Also... haha, yup that's us horsey folk all over :) x