what do you think happened to Shergar?

PinkFairy

Visit site
i'm just reading up on racing legends such as arkle and best mate (that always makes me feel sad
frown.gif
) and i remembered a TV documentary i watched about the kidnapping of shergar when he was 5 years old, in 1983 and wondered if anyone had any idea what might have happened to him? I've read that many many people have seen him but no trace of him has been found which is strange.. then the kidnappers demanded £5million then they disappeared never to be heard of again!
confused.gif

PinkFairy

Visit site
I also thought he would have been killed, but surely kidnapping one of the most valuable stallions in the world would hold a rather glossy price tag which sounds better than a bullet?

SillyMare

Visit site
Dead very soon after kidnap I would imagine - a 5 year old racing fit stallion would not have been the easiest hostage.

So sad. Hope he didn't suffer during his kidnap and whatever happened after that.

PinkFairy

Visit site
SillyMare, i second that. Whatever happened i hope there was no suffering. Its a shame we lose our best horses to the idiocy of society who favour money more than a soul

Rambo

Visit site
I maybe completely wrong, but didn't an 'ear' get posted to someone, claiming that it was his
crazy.gif
Not sure if it was ever proven that it was....or even if I dreamt that all up tbh
grin.gif

PinkFairy

Visit site
teehee rambo!! I also read they sent semen to the owners etc but it proved inconclusive.. His owners apparently still hold out hope he is alive

Rambo

Visit site

rema

Visit site
I dont know but there is a milk float doing 30 miles per hour around Ireland.No seriously i think he is long gone.I watched a documentary about what happened to him and they showed a skull with two bullet holes in it.They "claimed" it was Shergars but they dident have a concrete proof that it was!!.

Rambo

Visit site
It was proven that the skull was NOT that of Shergar...it was too young. Besides, think about it, how many horses are shot by a bullet / bolt to the head.....hundreds every year
shocked.gif

Loupride

s25.photobucket.com
No remains were ever found of him
frown.gif

And because of this fact apparently some of the owners were never allowed to claim insurance because there was no proof of death.

He was shot shortly after the kidnapping because he was too hard to handle.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I remember the coverage at the time, it was believed to be a money making venture by the IRA to fund their activities. This was the type of thing they used to do, kidnapping, bank robberies, protection, unions etc. They worked like the mafia. Shergar would never have been returned & it was believed that he was put down within a few days of the kidnap by the kidnappers.

Body has never been reccovered, several nutcases have claimed knowledge over the years but stories have never been verifeid. One of life's mysteries.
ooo.gif
crazy.gif

filly190

Visit site
I would like to think he made it abroad, but seems unlikely. There's a film about his story and todate nobody knows the truth

PinkFairy

Visit site
i also think its very sad to think about i hate thinking of what could have been etc. But i just wondered what your views were on this tricky subject! Poor Shergar.
frown.gif
HUGS TO SHERGAR WHEREVER YOU ARE lol ((((((()))))))) Gosh i love that horse teehee!

Fairynuff

Visit site
Ive got a bit of him downstairs. My Tom is by Sobrino Grande who was by Great Nephew who was the sire of Shergar. What does that make him, his uncle?
The sheik who owned Shergar refused to pay out which I think was very brave and wise. It put a stop to other kidnapping. Horrible decision to take. Mairi.

PinkFairy

Visit site
aw wow mairi! yes its brave but the owners must feel so awful not knowing whats become of him. I cant believe its a known fact the IRS kidnapped him but the police cant just arrest everyone involved lol. TBH i have no idea what the IRS IS or what it DOES, just that its to do with money. Then again, everything in the world these days has a glorius price tag attached which is a real shame, people won't see beyond money and thats why we lost Shergar.

Faithkat

Visit site
I thought that one of the kidnappers of Shergar was caught for something else a few years ago and said that the horse had been killed within hours of being kidnapped because he freaked out and they couldn't handle him and that he was buried somewhere in the depths of a wood.

S_N

Visit site
Sallyf on here used to own a bit of him - his son TOUT ENSEMBLE!!

We also have a bit of Shergar in our family, as my sister's horse is by Tout Ensemble!

sallyf

Visit site
We were priviliged enough to own one of his sons Tout Ensemble for a number of years , he sadly departed this world in 2002 and is sadly missed.
He has been very influential for us as two of our broodmare band are by him.
Both have the charisma and lovely temperament of there sire.
So the spirit of shergar lives on with us , actually Tout Ensemble is the sire of Tout A'leure very succesful young show horse as well as many other successful competition and race horses.
Some pics of Tout Ensemble below for those interested.
Tout_head_bg.jpg

Tout_background.jpg

GTs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
is it true that Shergar only sired one foal?

jenny

[/ QUOTE ]

He only had one season, where he got 42 mares into foal.