What do you think of these vet charges

Summit

Visit site
I’ve just registered with an equine vet and I’ve always been used to set call out fee plus treatment. However I’ve been sent a list of charges and not sure what to think...

NO VISIT FEE for precooked visits of any description Monday to Friday

SET FEES for vaccinations ie £30 flu booster

VET TIME. is charged on all other work at £172.80 per hour

MINIMUM CHARGE is 15 minutes time or £43.20 for a prebooked visit

FURTHER TIME (after first 15 minutes) will be charged at £172.80permhiur (eg 5 minutes over the first 15 minutes will be charged at 5/60x£172.80 = £14.40

SAME DAY VISIT attracts a visit fee of £36

I can’t quite work out if this is a good tariff. Perhaps I’m being dumb but if the vet is with me for an hour it’s going to cost me £172.80?

be positive

Visit site
At least it is transparent and means you will not waste time when the vet is with you, you know that a visit that should take under 15 mins will be no more than £43.20 plus any drugs, if they are there for a long time to do xrays or similar you will probably be paying a fair rate compared with some if they are not charging on top for the "advice" which is where they usually get the extra.

One of my vets charged about double that rate, it was around £360 per hour which I only found out when we got a bill charging for the extra 10mins he stayed for a coffee and chat watching the physio work on a horse!

SusieT

Visit site
seems fair- probably encourages most 15 minutes to be truely 15 minutes not 'while you're here'! I like that they have set it out so no surprises!

Quigleyandme

Visit site
That will certainly discourage any needless chatter or "I'll just go down the field and try to catch him but he can be a bit of a monkey". Seems like sound business sense.

Michen

Visit site
Wow. My vet is highly regarded and a council member of RVCS, he owns the practise I used and charged me £90 for his time the other day which was 3.5 hours of work.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I think I should be telling my vet to hurry up!

TBH, I think my vet would probably forget to write down how long he had been here. I went to a satellite surgery to pick up some ointment for a dog, he had remembered to ask them to put the stuff out but forgotten to note on the computer that he had prescribed it, I almost got away with no charge!

meleeka

Visit site
The no call out sounds excellent. My vets (I have separate farm vets and equine vets) charge by the hour but the time stated is never as long as the true time spent. When I last had a visit that took two hours I was charged for 40 minutes, so probably the time the job should have taken if it had been a toy and not a real animal that decided to be difficult.

Rob1585

Visit site
Is it inc vat or exc vat? Tbh that is what you’d expect for a vets hourly rate, usually 120-240/hr depending on area/experience/how accurately they bill.