what do you think of this stallion?

SKY

Visit site
I also agree with stud fee as ireland is different than england when it comes to selling foal. If you sell through internet to england or scotland I have gotten good price. Bug when you go to sell your foal in irish sale a lot barley make the stud fee you fork out and they are great well bred, well marked and great conformation foal. So in ireland there is great stallions at a low stud fee as market calls for it. I have used a few great stallions all price ranges. Its just finding the right one.

SKY

Visit site
I also agree there is over breeding with useless mares and stallions that shoudnt be used. But my mares are well bred, great conformation and temp and very well marked. There is still a lot of stallions about that should be gilded as they dont meet the mark for future offspring.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I must be missing something obvious here.

Bolero is 12 years old, been at stud since a 2 year old, no ridden pictures of him or record of ridden achievement ? Why is he a stallion.

The other stallion is everything the first one is not and the only difference in financial terms is £300.

SKY

Visit site
I agree I just liked him also have heard good things of his off spring. I agree should have a riding career if some sort but just because he doesn't have one doesn't mean he can't produce good off spring. But I must say loving glenhill gold he is some horse. Also if anyone have any other names in northern ireland or in south not too far away. Would love to see them, I want a coloured sport horse over 16hhs. Must have good breed book and good temp, confirmation and well marked. Thanks

SKY

Visit site
Hi, just wondering where does it say he has been at stud since he was 2. Go u know him, I still like him, very nice horse but wide have to find out more about him. Think I'll ring round and find out about him. Thanks

emlybob

Visit site
Yet CB stallions have only ever been 'approved' or competed 'in

Not sure this is completely correct as I know it is rare to see cleveland stallions under saddle but Lindon Principal proved himself in the show ring under saddle time and time again

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Hi, just wondering where does it say he has been at stud since he was 2. Go u know him, I still like him, very nice horse but wide have to find out more about him. Think I'll ring round and find out about him. Thanks

If you scroll down on his stud card/ advert, it may be badly worded, but it says he is 8 years old and started his stud career 6 years ago. I assume the card has not been updated in the last 4 years as his date of birth is 2001.

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
If you have an over production problem then you need to bring some form of restriction, therefore using graded or studbook approved animals is a start. Stud fee does have a bearing as the temptation for someone with a broken mare to put her in-foal to it because of cheapness becomes more attractive. A ridden career does test temperment, it does not have to be at top level the fact it can appear at a public event & stay calm & rideable is testing enough. Also soundness is tested to the full when a horse is under saddle & fit enough to compete. Little niggles that might go unnoticed are unlikely to stay that way if the horse is in regular work. I am also pig sick of this "Well what about the happy hacker" what an insult to those stallions at top level competition because what you are saying is they are unsuitable because ALL their offspring can't be ridden by someone who just wants to hack our & do the odd low level show. Utter rubbish, I have known unridable Gypsy cobs who have the most awful temperments. Yes there are the hot heads, the ones that do pass on a bit more then most can handle but any horse can be ruined by mishandling. Grading is not the bee all, but it is a start in restricting breeding & trying to bring some bar into breeding. There are people breeding from mares & stallions that are just asking for trouble & just contributing to a problem that just won't go away because they insist there is a need for the "Happy Hacker"!

elijahasgal

Visit site
You are asking about that stallion without including anything about the mare that you want to use him on.
What strengths and weaknesses does your mare have?
What is this stallion passing onto its youngstock
Thats the only real way to see if that stallion is good for your mare
And yes, the questions of why nothing under saddle, might be they cant ride well, or the person that did cant any more. May be the horse had an injury, known that before.
You need to put info on mare as well as what you want to breed for, as well as the stallion.
Personally I like http://www.solaris-sport-horses.co.uk/homozygous_tobiano_warmblood_stallion.shtml

He wont get competition results because of a field injury, but he is one of the nicest put together colords that I have seen. Yes the stud fee is more and you would have to go AI, but then thats your choice :D

Rollin

Visit site
If you have an over production problem then you need to bring some form of restriction, therefore using graded or studbook approved animals is a start. Stud fee does have a bearing as the temptation for someone with a broken mare to put her in-foal to it because of cheapness becomes more attractive. A ridden career does test temperment, it does not have to be at top level the fact it can appear at a public event & stay calm & rideable is testing enough. Also soundness is tested to the full when a horse is under saddle & fit enough to compete. Little niggles that might go unnoticed are unlikely to stay that way if the horse is in regular work. I am also pig sick of this "Well what about the happy hacker" what an insult to those stallions at top level competition because what you are saying is they are unsuitable because ALL their offspring can't be ridden by someone who just wants to hack our & do the odd low level show. Utter rubbish, I have known unridable Gypsy cobs who have the most awful temperments. Yes there are the hot heads, the ones that do pass on a bit more then most can handle but any horse can be ruined by mishandling. Grading is not the bee all, but it is a start in restricting breeding & trying to bring some bar into breeding. There are people breeding from mares & stallions that are just asking for trouble & just contributing to a problem that just won't go away because they insist there is a need for the "Happy Hacker"!

Once upon a time!! Before we had the internet and grading and AI. Horsemen bred quality horses based on their judgement. The TB was "Made in England".

People use their judgement and gut feel. How could it be that breeders who were absolute beginners, bought two brood mares from the Hungarian National Stud, one for a song, and produced one of only 3 stallions graded out of 13 presented?

I cannot grade my CB stallion anywhere because he is injured. He produces nice foals.

I am not an irresponsible breeder, far from it. Only 20 pure bred CB foals were bred in 2012, we need more like me not less.

Rollin

Visit site
Yes D-D. They are on the RBST 'critical list' along with the Suffolk Punch and the Hackney.

It is a real shame when you consider that most of the EU Warmbloods imported CB mares and stallions to improve their stock.

The EU Shagya Championships this year will be held at a State Run Stud in Westphalia, the stud website mentions the importance of Cleveland Bays and Yorkshire Coach Horses in their breeding programme.

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
Once upon a time!! Before we had the internet and grading and AI. Horsemen bred quality horses based on their judgement. The TB was "Made in England".

People use their judgement and gut feel. How could it be that breeders who were absolute beginners, bought two brood mares from the Hungarian National Stud, one for a song, and produced one of only 3 stallions graded out of 13 presented?

I cannot grade my CB stallion anywhere because he is injured. He produces nice foals.

I am not an irresponsible breeder, far from it. Only 20 pure bred CB foals were bred in 2012, we need more like me not less.

Not sure that many people do have an eye for a horse these days. Sorry but if that was the case there would not be an increase in horses with conformation issues. Mares & Stallions that have no place in the breeding paddocks. I have seen some god awful Gypsy cobs lately & for me that is very sad. People cannot even spot when a horse is moving unlevel, so I hardly think they can judge a good breeding animal! Good horsemen are getting few & far between from what I am seeing at local livery yards. Sorry but I can only go on what I have witnessed over the last 40yrs.