What do you think?

Neddies

Visit site
A friend asked for my advice on changing her horses’s bit, as she said she finds her new horse very strong at times. She’s only had the horse a couple of months and he was advertised as having a snaffle mouth and was ridden in a loose ring snaffle.

I tried to explain that changing the bit isn’t always the ideal solution and that perhaps she would be better doing some schooling as this will get the horse listening to her more, but she decided to put a 3 ring gag on him instead. My friend now thinks this has solved the problem as she can now stop him! The main reason I put her off changing the bit was because she’s not very good with her hands and I thought this could be why the horse was getting strong?

Yes she can stop the horse better, but sometimes it makes me cringe as she’s so heavy handed and the horse is now starting to back off from the bit. I’ve tried to tell her diplomatically but she just doesn’t get it, she doesn’t think there’s a problem. She’s a got a nice horse and it would be a shame if he ended up with a hard mouth. What do you suggest, should I just but out and leave her to get on with it, or can anyone recommend a milder bit that would be more suitable? I’ve suggested that she has some lessons on him so hopefully, that might help.

pottamus

Visit site
Well you have tried to help and she has not taken your advice on. So I would leave her to it and let her get on with it. It's her horse after all and in the long run she will probably go along with your thinking by learning the hard way! You can only take a horse to water...

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Unfortunately there's alot of people out there who want a quick fix...so they change the bit. They seem to think there are only 3 bits, snaffle, three ring gag & pelham. You are right that the answer is probably better schooling to impriove his balance & to get him to listen to her. Bit wise very often less is more, the horse fights the bit rather than the rider & if someone is using a strong bit & is also heavy handed then this will cause problems.
My boy is in a loose ringsnaffle for most things but he needs a little stronger bit for jumping. We use a waterford and we've got conrol & he likes it aswell, he salivates like a good one. Maybe she could try one...it's certainly kinder that the bubble gag.
smile.gif

xequusx

Visit site
one of my friend's like that - she's really heavy handed and resorts to using stronger bits on her horses (they've started rearing as a result!) tell her to use a gag but on the second ring and probably a happy-mouth one because if she hardens this pony then its a hard habit 2 get out of!!