What do you think?

Tally-lah

Visit site
Sorry if this is a little long, not sure where to start...

I bought a Welsh D mare a few years ago, she came to me green and I was told she had been a bit too sharp for previous owners. She napped a little when I first got her home but nothing that someone with a little experience couldn't sort. Since then she has mainly hacked and schooled. She happily hacks alone and in company, was green to school and I sent her off to a professional to bring her on and she came back to me with the basics which I have then worked out, with the help of my instructor. She was jumping 1 meter at home (not massive, I know) and popping logs in the woods. She has the sweetest temperament to handle, although is sensitive and definitely picks up on her handlers emotions, i.e. if you are calm she is calm, if you are stressed or nervous by proxy she gets stressed and nervous.

Due to reasons I do not wish to go into here I had to make the decision to put her up for full loan last month. Being that she has always been such a star with me I didn't envision any issues with this and found a wonderful and experienced loan home for her. She moved to her new home at the beginning of this month.

Last night I got a message from the person who has her on loan saying she needs to return her. According to loaner she has been napping badly when leaving the yard, bucking and rearing! She has hacked her out with other horses and she behaves the same as if she is alone and bucks in walk. Yesterday loaner had a lesson on her and she bucked her off. Instructor got on and she had her off too. I am in total shock.

She has her back, saddle and teeth checked regularly, all were checked before she went to loan home. She also had a recent MOT with vet who declared she was in 100% health. So I am sure this isn't a pain related issue.

My instinct it that it is too much too soon. She didn't do much with me over winter, a little hacking once or twice a week and from what I understand loaner upped the work as soon as she arrived (I am not suggesting there was anything wrong with this, she hasn't been out competing her, just getting her fit) and my mare is having a bit of a tantrum over the increased work load. She is not the type of horse who goes stir crazy if not exercised, she would be happy to be left out to graze 24/7.

I was thinking I would get her home and turn her away for a month, let her have some time to chill out and get over the negative experience before bringing her back into work beginning of August (obviously I plan on double checking the pain thing before I take any further steps). Would others agree this is the way to go here? I am a bit stumped really. She was only with Loaner for a month and can't believe she can have had such an attitude change in such a short space of time, I am also worried that it is going to be a battle to get her back to where she was before she went out on loan... Any experience with a similar situation and suggestions on what you would do would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks for reading ALL of the above.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
It's not unusual for horses to be totally different with new riders, especially if they have been ridden by only one person beforehand and if they are sensitive types to begin with. I'd be willing to bet she'll be as sweet as pie when you get back on her :) It is always a good idea to have multiple riders on any horse if possible, especially if they are destined to be sold on. I doubt that she has actually had a "bad experience"; it's more likely she was just in a strop because of the new, and possibly more demanding, routine.

Mrs G

Visit site
The problem with loaning a horse out is if there is an issue, even a minor one, it's easy to just say 'it's not working, have her back'; the loanee hasn't invested anything in her so has nothing to lose. As the owner however, you have invested time and money and so worked thru any problems. I'm sure you'll get her back on track, maybe take it as a compliment - she was happy with you! X

oldie48

Visit site
I think we underestimate how changing homes, routine, rider etc can upset some horses and I've certainly experienced horses reverting to previous bad behaviour when they have moved. Unfortunately, many new owners/loaners are also a bit nervous of a new horse (with good reason sometimes!) and a sensitive horse will certainly pick up on this. I also think your horse will come home and behave well for you. Perhaps if you go for a loan again it might be possible for the horse to stay on the same yard or for the loaner to get to know the horse really well before moving her? Just because this hasn't worked out there's no reason why another loan won't.

Tally-lah

Visit site
It's not unusual for horses to be totally different with new riders, especially if they have been ridden by only one person beforehand and if they are sensitive types to begin with. I'd be willing to bet she'll be as sweet as pie when you get back on her :) It is always a good idea to have multiple riders on any horse if possible, especially if they are destined to be sold on. I doubt that she has actually had a "bad experience"; it's more likely she was just in a strop because of the new, and possibly more demanding, routine.

She's been ridden by multiple people since I have had her. A sharer twice a week, my sister and a good friend regularly.

Tally-lah

Visit site
Thank you for your replies everyone.

She is not going to go back out on loan now, I don't think it's fair on her. I will maybe look for another sharer for her in a couple of months, depending on how she is. I really hope you are right and she returns to her "normal" character once she is home and settled!

X

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
My instinct is that she is very traumatised moving away from you and that to start with she may have thought it only temporary, like when you sent her for training, but then when it became apparent she was not going home, she just flipped. Just keep her yourself. Mares, I find are generally far more unsettled moving from a long term home to a new one than geldings. She will be pleased to be home.

Tally-lah

Visit site
My instinct is that she is very traumatised moving away from you and that to start with she may have thought it only temporary, like when you sent her for training, but then when it became apparent she was not going home, she just flipped. Just keep her yourself. Mares, I find are generally far more unsettled moving from a long term home to a new one than geldings. She will be pleased to be home.

Thank you, Wagtail. It is my worst fear realised (that she would feel abandoned). I just want her home now, instead I have to wait until next Monday!

DD265

Visit site
In addition to what Wagtail said about mares, she sounds quite Welsh-like to me - my boy is very much a one person horse and although he can be handled by others he gets depressed if I don't spend enough time with him. You definitely have to earn their respect to build a partnership and perhaps that wasn't quite there yet with her new loaner?

SpringArising

Visit site
Thank you, Wagtail. It is my worst fear realised (that she would feel abandoned). I just want her home now, instead I have to wait until next Monday!

Just want to jump in and say that she will not be feeling "abandoned". As Cortez said, she is probably just a bit phased by the new routine and trying it on.

My gelding did exactly the same when I sold him, as do a lot of horses.

fatpiggy

Visit site
Think like a horse - she has moved to a new place with people she doesn't know, unfamiliar routines, different horses around her. Wouldn't you be stressed if you were in that sort of situation? And animals, like children, often show their distress in the form of bad behaviour. Add to the mix that mares are more sensitive and a Welsh D to boot, and I'm really not surprised. Ds can be marmite horses, you either put up with their antics and laugh at them, or you get utterly frustrated and then they pick up on your temper and behave worse, and so it goes on. I know a really good showjumper who just won't have mares because they drive him mad. You can't dominate a mare and they will get their revenge on you at a later date if you try.

SpringArising

Visit site
Ds can be marmite horses, you either put up with their antics and laugh at them, or you get utterly frustrated and then they pick up on your temper and behave worse

So true. We used to joke that it would have been easier if we'd have bought a three year old TB stallion straight off the track.