What do you Tow with ?

smurf

Visit site
I had a Honda CRV and was thinking about towing with it. I borrowed a friends Ifor Williams 505 and towed it empty and it really struggled. It was technically within the limit of what should be safe and what the car should have been capable of and on the flat it was fine. But I tried to turn up a relatively steep drive from a stand still and even empty it could hardly cope. The smell from the clutch was terrible.

So I sold it and now have a Nissan Navara and it never looks at hills. Much much safer.

rosiesmumof4

Visit site
10 year old kia sportage so heavy, can tow up to 2 tonnes but i have a single ifor and my mare weighs 600 kg so well within its limits ( i have an old farts licence as well)
Cheap,good multipurpose vehicle, i use it for commuting 39 miles a day as well. Not too shabby off road.

Dowjones

Visit site
Currently a Nissan Terrano 3L. I find it great for towing, and good on diesel. Before that I had a long wheel base Pajero 2.5L, I love my pajeros, but it was very thirsty and had the turning ability of the Titanic.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Mum towed me and one horse with a Honda CRV with no issues, she did however hate it :eek: so we upgrade to a 3.5t but it wasn't a reflection on the Honda :).

Sags_Deer

Somewhere in the hills in the sunny south
Visit site
I had a Honda CRV and was thinking about towing with it. I borrowed a friends Ifor Williams 505 and towed it empty and it really struggled. It was technically within the limit of what should be safe and what the car should have been capable of and on the flat it was fine. But I tried to turn up a relatively steep drive from a stand still and even empty it could hardly cope. The smell from the clutch was terrible.

So I sold it and now have a Nissan Navara and it never looks at hills. Much much safer.
what crv was it, petrol or diesel and what size engine ?

skint1

Visit site
I've got an 04 Mitsubishi Shogun, that tows really well and is fairly economical to run and KNOCK WOOD so far reliable

MagicMelon

Visit site
Freelander 2. Tows my Bateson Ascot usually with my 15.3hh in it absolutely fine, sometimes with my sons Dartmoor in there too. I wouldn't put much more weight than that in it though. I hated towing my 17.1hh warmblood, the car didnt struggle but I definately felt the weight. Love my car, been really good.

Sags_Deer

Somewhere in the hills in the sunny south
Visit site
Freelander 2. Tows my Bateson Ascot usually with my 15.3hh in it absolutely fine, sometimes with my sons Dartmoor in there too. I wouldn't put much more weight than that in it though. I hated towing my 17.1hh warmblood, the car didnt struggle but I definately felt the weight. Love my car, been really good.

Ah thank you that's what I'm interested.

sarahann1

Visit site
Kia Sportage (the heavy duty model, tows 2 tonnes).

I have been very impressed with it so far. Will have to upgrade to something beefier when the son rides well enough for me to need to take 2 out at once.

That's good to know, I've just bought one of these, not got a tow bar fitted yet and was a bit nervous it wouldn't be enough for my single trailer and cob!