What do you use for tack cleaning?

Horse lover19

Visit site
Having a big tack room clear out and need to get some new lotions and potions instead of having about 8 billon sponges and tubs of saddle soap which doesn't do much for my grubby tack! So what lotions and potions does everybody use for tack cleaning?

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
With one set of tack I use a spray and wipe over every use with one tack cleaning sponge which is used for nothing else.
For serious tack cleaning [I was a groom and had to do at least five saddles and bridles to show standard every day], I used a damp sponge, dryish bar of soap and finished with the lightest touch of oil to shine the bridles.
Use a bucket of warm water with Fairy Platinum and some blue paper towels on a roll for the lorinery.
There are some magic pads which cost £2.00 and look like thick white cardboard, they clean brightwork, and also are great for use in the kitchen when you are really going mad on "housework"

Last edited:

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Good old fashioned bar of saddlesoap and some grease stuff, also the other sort of grease - elbow.

Bonkers, what is this "housework" of which you speak?

highlandponygirl

Visit site
I buy packs of leather care wipes from Home Bargains (3 for £1!) I use them on my sofa's, leather riding boots, leather gloves, used to use them on ponies bridles and leathers etc. Brought everything up nicely :)

Horse lover19

Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I've brought some new stuff this morning and my tack gets plenary of elbow grease, some of my tacks very old and down at that good no matter how long u scrub it for it never seems to be 'show ready'. More tack cleaning for me 😋

WelshD

Visit site
I have a pot of Stubben saddle soap that is 25 years old (was in the loft 17 of those years) and its brilliant stuff, I use a sponge to apply and the sponge lives in the pot so its all neat and tidy

On show days I use one of those shoe buffing sponges to add a bit more shine

Welshie95

Visit site
Anybody tried the new range from NAF? Just emptied my pot of leather balsam so might give that one a go.
Other than that, hot water with a splash of fairy liquid and olive oil and last year I coated with Carr & Day & Martin Belvoir Leather Balsam.

Horse lover19

Visit site
I was worried about what I brought this morning but I've got what all of you have. I've brought the belviour tack conditioner bar,
Spray and leather balm. Also brought some oil for the old tack. Old and new tack have come up nicely so I'm happy!

pennyturner

Visit site
Any old saddle soap (hard or soft) or conditioner if it's not too bad - depends what mood I'm in and what I lay my hands on first.

Home made stuff to CDM's recipe if I'm feeling energetic.

Kao-cho-line if it's seriously old / in need of rescue.

Dumbo

Visit site
I've been using one step but find that it doesn't actually clean. The leather looks lovely immediately after but an hour later it doesn't look like its been cleaned. Always had good results from belvoir.

Ebenezer_Scrooge

Visit site
I've been using one step but find that it doesn't actually clean. The leather looks lovely immediately after but an hour later it doesn't look like its been cleaned. Always had good results from belvoir.

On my saddle I use it on its own & polish with soft cloth after & it comes up beautiful. My bridle gets grubby so I use warm water, spot of fairy & elbow grease to remove the sweat & let it dry, then apply the one step as per use on saddle. Bridle looks & feels lovely afterwards & I get compliments how good my tack looks.

Dubsie

Visit site
Always use Belvoir sometimes the bar but mostly the spray (tip: if you can get the old spray bottle rather than the new 'mist' spray you waste far less, chuffed to find some in a tack shop the other day)
Then I use Stubben Hamanol, sparingly, on it. For a quick touch up we also have a tub of Renapur leather conditioner with a sponge in the car.

FemelleReynard

Visit site
Horseman's one step to clean and if the tack needs a good conditioning then Effax Leather Balsam after this. A tub of Effax lasts an age which is a bonus and it's also great on my Dubarry's and other leather boots.

pansymouse

Visit site
I'm a bridle maker and leather repairer and I see a lot of tack that that has been very badly cared for/neglected so recently have put together a care leaflet and sample size pots of the products I recommend.

For cleaning I use Wilf Whites Leather Soap on a microfibre cloth and for conditioning I make leather conditioner based on Oz's formula.

In my view, glycerine and oil have no place in leather care; the former sits on the surface making a sticky layer for dirt to stick to and the latter expands the fibres of the leather and weakens it.

If I was only allowed one leather care product I would not hesitate in choosing the Wilf Whites.

mandyroberts

Visit site
Kieffer Leather Fluid to remove the dirt then Kieffer leather cream. Albion Leather Cream if I have run out of Kieffer but can't find alternative to the leather fliud I am happy with. Not easy to get hold of unfortunately

Horse lover19

Visit site
OP I've sent you some info on how to make your own conditioner, Oz

Thanks very much I have made my own before using this recipe but just don't find the time to do it (bad excuse I know). Recently found out one of the girls on my yard makes her own so she's dropping some of in my tack room tonight instead of the new stuff I just brought. Quite a lot of people use the recipe or your ready made products so will consider buying some once I've finished my other stuff! thanks to Oz and all others who have helped.

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
Thanks very much I have made my own before using this recipe but just don't find the time to do it (bad excuse I know). Recently found out one of the girls on my yard makes her own so she's dropping some of in my tack room tonight instead of the new stuff I just brought. Quite a lot of people use the recipe or your ready made products so will consider buying some once I've finished my other stuff! thanks to Oz and all others who have helped.

Welcome :)