What do you use for your horse Sweet itch?

ShowJumperBeckii

Visit site
ebs has it and where she itches it ruins her tail and mane even tho she has her fly rug on cause she rips it, just wondered what you use?
i tried De-Itch last year but think i added it too late in the year for it too actully fully work

louised1henry

Visit site
i use the equus health sweet itch tablets. there about 5 pound for 40 tablets. they work a treat for my 14'2 PBA. she even goes rugless. i also use fly spray.

hollyandivy123

Visit site
ok what i have found that works best

1.no garlic
2. no mollases in the feed
3. add brewers yeast
4. make sure that there is no stagnent water
5. fly spray and washed and rinsed in tea tree oil and geranium oil
took these out and the itching went by about 3/4, i use to have to fence of everything or he would rub down to through the skin.

Theresa_F

Visit site
Mine are not too bad - they have no signs of rubs and very fulll manes and tails.

I keep them with snuggy SI bodies on with sheath/udder covers - they suffer on their bellies. I leave them out 24 x 7 May to October and the field is taped off. If they are in, they have a hood and cotton tail guard on which stops them rubbing.

Anything not under the rug is covered in my home made fly spray twice a day. I also keep manes and tails regularly washed with microtek shampoo.

I feed brewers yeast, linseed and clivers for skin health, only fibre feeds with no sugar. I have two SI bodies so I can wash them after 10 days so they keep clean.

daisalph

Visit site
Last year my horse was on a trial for think itch. Its brilliant stuff best I have ever used. Will certainly be using it this year.

I dont know that one but i used biteback sweet itch lotion last year and it was brilliant. You need to start about now though. If you catch it in time you dont need a rug.

olop

Visit site
My boy is always covered up 24/7 in his hoody & I also spray him with Avon Skin So Soft; its quite a good routine for us & we dont get lots of itching only when the midges are out in force :)

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I'm another great fan of the rambo sweet itch hoody - they have lasted two years with our horses, where normal fly rugs only lasted a month. You have to put them on early (like now!) before the midges come out. Our cob did rub his mane out on this rug though, but he has a good cresty neck.

We use aloe vera on the itchy bits if they come in scratchy, and it calms it a lot (great for sunburnt muzzles too).

Equimins biting midge repellent worked well.