What Do You Use to Clean Tack?

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
I'm usually pushed for time, and tend to only clean my tack once a week
blush.gif
. Now, as someone who trained, many years ago, to be a saddler, this is embarrasing
blush.gif
. Ah well.

On the grounds that I am unlikely to be cloned/get a groom/retire and have all day to play with my neds any time soon, I'm contemplating a quick swoosh over with the tack cleaner that comes in a squirty bottle (can't think of the name!), after each use.

Question is, is this okay? Obviously I check stiching, etc. as a matter of course everytime I handle my tack, but does the squirty stuff do an okay job?

A proper clean involves water and sponges and saddle soap and balm conditioner stuff (Albion's balm) and about two hours of my life
grin.gif

So, what does everyone else use?
smile.gif

JenTaz

Visit site
i use belvoir tack cleaner to get rid of the dirt aswell as water and sponge etc then once it dries in i have naf leather soap that conditions it and then waterproof soap tht mum brought bk from america that lasts 2 times riding in the rain so worth it

RachelB

Visit site
The cleaner spray is only really suitable for use if you use some description of soap or balsam afterwards, IMO. It dries my hands out so I don't imagine it'd do tack much good if left like that! I use the Belvoir cleaner, then NAF soft soap - LOVELY stuff
laugh.gif

help1

Visit site
Wipe off with water (I don't strip it daily) then a rub over with a strange mix the saddlers make its white and gloopy. Do this every day. Every so often strip it down treat with stubben leather treatment. Never used the squirty stuff.

indiat

Visit site
I use the squirty stuff and I think its brilliant, I get things done much faster. I rub everything over with leather balsam so it smells lovely too!
smile.gif

MrWoof

Visit site
Good evening Mrs M - I am "the scary one" !!

I think that as long as you get rid of the sweat and mud via warm water and fairy liquid. at least then the stitching won't rot. I am a great believer in Ko-Cho-Line as it waterproofs the leather brilliantly and one lathering lasts for absolutely ages.
If no time then, yes, "the squirty stuff" is fine but can you not find the time (even once a month) to give your tack a good going over with a bar of saddle soap? Find an elf!
Best regards from the
"you are a vile person" - according to x-Hollie-x.

hellspells

Visit site
Horsemans Onestep is amazing!!!!! I use it everyday (I have a bit of a problem in this respect). But its literaly put it on a sponge wipe on and done. All my tack looks fab and is beautifull subtle. Could NOT live without it.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Well, there's some food for thought
grin.gif
. Ta folkses
grin.gif

MrWoof - well hello there
cool.gif
. Yup, I do indeed clean it properly once a week
grin.gif
, but it's those quick swipe overs inbetween times that I'm thinking of
smile.gif

Just out of interest, and totally off-topic (so what's new lol), why are you referred to as 'a vile person'? Sorry, very nosey
cool.gif

amycamycamyc

Visit site
I got told by a random australian once that the best way to condition leather bits of bridles/stirrup leathers is to put them in the microwave. Apparently it brings out all the natural oils in the leather and makes it very supple... I've never tried it because to be honest there's very few bits of the bridle that don't have a bit of metal attached but it does sort of make sense i suppose...!
then again, he was a bit strange, so it could be *****cks!

MrWoof

Visit site
MrWoof - well hello there.
Just out of interest, and totally off-topic (so what's new lol), why are you referred to as 'a vile person'? Sorry, very nosey .

Sorry Mrs M but I really do not have a clue.
Actually, that post by x-Hollie-x reduced me to tears.
Hope to "speak" to you again soon.
Best regards.

sykokat

Visit site
Another vote for Horsemans Onestep. Ya just take a damp cloth, dip it in and work it in. It lifts off all the dirt and grease and conditions at the same time. Use it on tack and my long leather boots, gaiters etc. Works a treat and not expensive.
tongue.gif
grin.gif

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
So, Horsemans Onestep is on the shopping list
grin.gif
. I'll give it a go
grin.gif

Thank you for all your help and suggestions folks (and for those who don't clean at all, eek! The poor neds that have it next to their skin, and keep all crossed that something doesn't give way!).

MrWoof - have a hug and a hot choccy
smile.gif

A1fie

Visit site
Another fan of Horsemans Onestep. I use this every day. Every month or after tack has got really wet I use neetsfoot oil to make it really supple.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
My sister - as often as possible.
When that is not possible I too use Carr & Day & Martin's squirty stuff.
Eaglestone - I too wash my bit after every ride - far more often than I clean my tack (or indeed more often than my sister cleans my tack)

Just to reassure you Mrs M, I do wash my numnah frequently, so at least that is clean on the horse.

Eaglestone

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Eaglestone - I too wash my bit after every ride - far more often than I clean my tack (or indeed more often than my sister cleans my tack)

[/ QUOTE ]

Phew at least I am not the only one
smile.gif
..... off to see if one of my Sister's know what 'tack' is
confused.gif
tongue.gif
grin.gif

JenHunt

Visit site
I use the Horsemans One Step

i know its not a squirty thing, but I can clean 2 snaffle bridles, a double bridle, a polo breastplate and 2 saddles, leather girths and stirrup leathers in about 20 mins with it. (not taking it apart obviously)

does a good job, looks after the tack and then use it when I do a full strip clean too, and then finish off with the Amerigo Soft Balm which kind of waterproofs the leather and keeps it soft in the revolting winter weather.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I use the Horsemans One Step

i know its not a squirty thing, but I can clean 2 snaffle bridles, a double bridle, a polo breastplate and 2 saddles, leather girths and stirrup leathers in about 20 mins with it. (not taking it apart obviously)

does a good job, looks after the tack and then use it when I do a full strip clean too, and then finish off with the Amerigo Soft Balm which kind of waterproofs the leather and keeps it soft in the revolting winter weather.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hm. You either need to give lessons (to m'daughters), or failing that, what's your day rate?
grin.gif

smokeyjo

Visit site
Yet another vote for Horseman's One Step. In my time I have used every spray, tub, bar and tube going and this is the best of them all. I think it may be quite new as I only found it by accident in the tack shop but would never use anything else now. Happy tack cleaning:)

marmalade76

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
MrWoof - well hello there.
Just out of interest, and totally off-topic (so what's new lol), why are you referred to as 'a vile person'? Sorry, very nosey .

Sorry Mrs M but I really do not have a clue.
Actually, that post by x-Hollie-x reduced me to tears.
Hope to "speak" to you again soon.
Best regards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very sorry to hear that has upset you so much, MrWoof.
frown.gif
FWIW I doubt anyone shares her opinion, I, for one, certainly don't!

Gorgeous George

Visit site
I just use the belvoir cleaning spray, followed by the conditioning spray and now and again I put some balsam leather feed on. This horseman's one step stuff sounds great!

yethersgill

Visit site
On the one leather bridle I have I use belvoir cleaning spray, followed by the conditioning spray.... the other are synthetic Zilco ones so just get chucked in the bath
grin.gif

Saddles get a wipe with a cleaning cloth then leather balm.