what do you use to save money?

vickers22

Visit site
Is there any products etc you use that are much cheaper than buying from an equestrian shop?(ie veg oil instead of soya/linseed oil etc)I use johnsons baby oil as a mane and tail detangler
grin.gif

Kate_13

Visit site
He He, I use furniture polish on my horses mane and tail! At least you get a choice of smells!

Sponges from wilkinsons and I use a hairbrush on his mane and tail.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
plastic scoring pads, which are excellent for mud removal. I use a 1.99 washing basket to poo pick the field (and two duspans...much easier than those rake thingies), never buy horsey shampoos etc, I use tesco's kid's range, which is 99p a bottle tops and works just as well. I use a paddle brush as opposed to a dandy/body brush on the mane and tail. Baby wipes, which do loads.
I buy all veg etc from lidl, it's about 1/2 the price of even the local market. I shop at wilkinson for wheelbarrow, buckets, mucking out tools, feedbins, sunflower seeds, etc etc. About 1/4 of the price of equestrian stores.

Walder

Visit site
i use non bovine glucosime tablets from natures best (on line) £10 for 360 tablets 100mg each use 2 a day - much cheaper than cortaflex - i know it works coz i took my really stiff mare off cortaflex (shed been on it couple of years) and put her on tablets and she still stayed supple in her back legs!!!!

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
Make friends wth somebody who works at a hospital! They can pick up dressings like Alyvin (sp?), Melolin (sp?), bandages, cotton wool, rubber gloves etc.
Baby wipes are fantastic.
Buy nappies (baby boys ones because they're more absorbant I think) instead of poltices.

ru-fi-do

Visit site
Baby wipes, have them everywhere, also find them really good for cleaning leather sofa's when little boy has spilt his milk on it! Home made fly spray, fresh garlic cloves chopped in feed, cider vinegar from the supermarket. Smart price shampoo and conditioner for grey tails. Ask all relatives to give me their old towels. Local chemist sell the equivalent of vetwrap for £1.25!
smile.gif

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
Tesco value shampoo! Only 30p, lavers up really well, big bottle, lasts ages, gets horses really clean, thick so harder to spill (unlike some really runny horse shampoos), and if you do spill some, who cares it's so cheap anyway!

PS: I can't belive a friend of mine uses Tressemme on her horse, is she insane, i wouldn't even pay that much for my own shampoo!

Also buy two small water buckets instead of one massive one, they're cheaper and much easier to carry.

xxcharlottexx

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
My friend used to work at a yard where they used sanitary towels for poulticing!

[/ QUOTE ]

hehe i did that when i ran out of aninmalintex and couldnt be bothered paying £5.99 for a new pack

super_kat... my mum works at a hospital and she got me melolin when my horse got an abscess wasnt as good as horsey products but it did the job!

KatB

Visit site
USe wilkos teatree shampoo, 79p for big bottle! Tis great stuff! And new one, get farriers to order studs for me... gets boxes of 50, works out about £15-20 a box.... alot cheaper than buying them at "normal" price....and split them with others on the yard...
smile.gif

CastleMouse

Visit site
I use Lidl Baby Shampoo for Castle, really makes him gleam, and cleans his tail so well! I also use baby wipes - useful for wiping down boots, tack etc. I also keep old body brushes for giving numnahs and saddle cloths a quick clean, great for girths too!
smile.gif

custard

Visit site
Disposable nappies for poulticing, newborn fits a TB size foot!!

re making friends at hospital, I think dressings have a shelf life and they have to chuck them when out of date

filly190

Visit site
I think by using a fly mask it saves on the amount of fly spray you get through in a summer. My horses are far less iritated by the flies once their faces are protected. Before I used the masks I was getting through a bottle a week, I still spray the bodies but I find at bottle now lasts me ages.

I dont use night rugs anymore, instead rambo's for day and night, heavy and light-weight. So have cut down on extensive expensive horse wardrobes by paying more for initial rugs but they are good quality and do all jobs.

As for supplements, good advice from an expert saves you buying too much, wrong things and puts you on the right track.

I try and make my shoes last 8 weeks, and always use the grass verges when ever possible. I like to see a decent level of hoof growth to avoid the farrier having to use the same nail holes.

Fantasy_World

Visit site
Some great ideas on here about money saving tips which is so refreshing to hear when there are so many poncey horse owners out there who only insist on this top brand and that top brand for their horse(s).
Personally I don't think owning a horse is just for the rich and if you can save money wherever you can then you are quids in and the extra pounds can be put towards something worthwhile or a treat every now and again.
I was told about the furniture polish by a friend at the yard and I do use that. I also use normal 'human' conditioner mixed with water in a bottle after I refilled some mane and tail conditioner ( not new, got in a job lot of ebay). It is good for helping to get rid of tanges and makes manes and tails smell nice. After it has dried a spray of polish makes them shine.
A friend at yard told me how she makes her own fly spray mixture so last backend when I got the horses I made my own and did not pay too much for the essential oils, think the dearest was around £5 but it will last for ages.
I use veg oil to put in the feed sometimes and as a barrier to mud as well. Have not used it all the times but a few times. Also have found it puts a great sheen on their lower legs especially if dark and really makes them shine for a very cheap price.
I second the baby wipes though and have used them for pretty much anything really.
Will try those shampoos though as they sound good
smile.gif
The only shampoo I have at the mo is some from a job lot and a bottle I won from the Horse magazine.
I agree about poundland too as I got some of those gel ice/heat pads they sold in the shops last year. They came in a pouch with velcro attachments and I thought they were a cheap buy to apply cold to a horse's leg at a fraction of the cost of those which are manufactured for horses.
Have soon learned that if any product has the word equine associated with it you can expect to pay many more times its market value.
Bugger that I say if you can find the equivalent or as near as being sold for humans or pets it makes sense to buy the cheaper alternatives.
Have never heard about the nappies or towels before but they make perfect sense and I will make sure I get some of those in for the future.
With regard to the fly masks I have some to try this year as well as fly rugs as I got the horses a little late last year plus I was trying to sort out their rugs sizes too as they have both changed shape a little ( at least the younger one has lol).
I have bought 99% of my horse items from ebay and most of it is secondhand. I have no qualms at all in using secondhand gear. The saddle for my big lad was just under £160 and is a nice coleman croft saddle, well made and the leather is supple and smells lovely.
The most expensive saddle I have bought was the western one which cost me over £300 ( not off ebay from a well known horse auction in cheshire lol) but I would never ever pay that for an English type unless it was a very, very good make and for a reason like showing etc.
To be honest I would much rather buy secondhand. Nobody can tell your gear is used in some cases especially if the seller has looked after it really well or it just needs some tlc to get it back to its best.
If you don't already buy on there have a look and if you can save even more money by collecting all the better.
I have had some right bargains locally.
Not trying to brag btw as I'm not kind of person but I'm just trying to point out that it is a great way of saving money without going to the shops.
It's been good to read the tips though and I think by sharing pov's with each other like this it is great because if we can pass on money saving tips to each other it helps our bank balances and in some cases keeps OH happy lol.
best wishes
Cazx