What do you use under your saddle and why?

Pidgeon

Visit site
Just musing, so interested in whether you use a saddle pad, half pad, saddlecloth etc and why? Has anyone used the prolite pad and if so do you use it with or without a saddlecloth? Do you use different combinations? Ta muchly

kezimac

Visit site
hmmmm - well what i currently use is a 'back on track saddlecloth' nothing else.

in the past have used prolite, half pads, polypad, normal hi wither pad, fybagee in certain places - all depending on what saddle, how her back and how it was fitting at the time! - all in conjunction with saddle fitter and physio. all now in cupboard! lol

Since she has had wow saddle have used far less under her saddle as happier with the fit.

i think it depends on horses back, saddle and what they are comfortable with. - only the horse can say what is right even if it looks odd! Aoife likes 'softness on her back!' (either back on track or sheepskin) - dont blame her really with her xrays!

Cheiro1

Visit site
I use a thin numnah and LeMeiux half pad on my dressage horse (Saddle fitted to that combination and how horse is happiest) and my little mare just wears a thin numnah :)

I have used a prolite before and just used it over a thin saddlecloth :)

PolarSkye

Visit site
When he was lacking condition and coming back into work, I used a Pro-Lite riser jut to lift the saddle a tad . . . but ordinarily a LeMieux sheepskin half pad. Saddle fits just fine (just been checked) and the LeMieux just serves as an additional shock absorber when jumping and sweat absorber when hot/sweaty.

P

Pidgeon

Visit site
Thanks guys was just wondering what to use on the oh so sensitive ginger boy now he's clipped as he can rub pretty much everywhere :rolleyes: Saddles do fit and normally use a Mattes saddlecloth under the dressage saddle and a Griffin Nuumed Hi Wither with half wool under the jump saddle. Was just wondering if the prolite pad would prevent rubbing more than the wool?
He gets rubs from his reins, girth, breastplate when just been clipped as is so sensitive for a big Irish lad :eek:
Thanks K will let you know if going to try it, appreciated.

Last edited:

kerilli

Visit site
any of the huge variety of saddle cloths of various thicknesses and materials that i have, and then usually a thin 1/2 pad (felt) or prolite or sheepskin 1/2 pad (v expensive dense one), depends on saddle, horse, etc.
btw rachaelstar, i don't think it's quite as simple as that!

kezimac

Visit site
not sure would stop rubbing - but there if you want to try it. aoife rubs easily and sheepskin is her friend! we have lots of poor dead sheep.

JustKickOn

Visit site
Usually a normal saddle cloth, or one with half sheepskin but not the super thick fluffy stuff, and a rear riser pad under suggestion of saddler.

rowy

Visit site
On my sensitive high withered tb dressage horse I use anky pads or eurostar or sometimes HKM thinner pads.
On my round 5 year old dressage horse, he either always uses his barnsby grip pad to keep it in place or a anky/ hkm pad with the jelly grip pad underneath to keep it still.

I also have a thermatex half pad (not sheepkin) which has slots you can put shims in so if any of them change shape slightly I can push the back up or front up depending on what needs doing. I was using this on the dressage saddle (after having directions to do so from my saddler) but she has since bulked up and topline has improved and saddle was reflocked so now it fits perfect without :D

MileyMouse

Visit site
My jump saddle I use a sheepskin half pad and thin saddlecloth and my dressage saddle I use an Anky pad, nothing thinner. Both saddles have been fitted with these pads and are what my saddler told me to use !

marmalade76

Visit site
I have 9oz wool line Nuu-meds, full wooly Nuu-med and LeMeiux, thin cotton pads, a wooly half pad and a gel pad and which I use, either alone or in combination, depends on my horse's condition (his weight fluctuates), which saddle I'm using and what we're doing. I have learned through experience that if you're doing something that involves spending several hours in the saddle (in my case, hunting) you need a bit more padding regardless of how well your saddle fits.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Have a Prolite pad I bought to assist the saddle fitting while I waited for my new saddle. What a great thing it is (adjustable one). I'm not sure it would stop rubbing it's more pressure relief I think. I always used it with a thin saddle cloth as it moved otherwise. Expect I will need the Prolite pad with new horse as she alters as well. (The one I bought it for lost 11kgs, 2 cms off her back and a saddle fit in 3 weeks just with me buying her and starting to work her, if I'd had to wait for the saddle to be adjusted every time the Prolite has been adjusted I'd never have ridden her so the saddle would never have fitted!).

Tr0uble

Visit site
Just a saddle cloth.

Saddle is an Ideal Lynx Pro made to his template with extra deep gussets to give the right balance but also allow for extra soft flocked panels, so it really is squidy for him. He's not a sensitive backed thing, and has a very flat back so I find putting anything else under the saddle sits me too high off his back.

If ever I get to a high level jumping (unlikely) I would look into some sort of shock absorption under his GP, but that doesn't sit so high as it doesn't have the extra deep rear gusset.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I use a limpet on slippy round cob and a thin padded square and sheepskin short pad on my WB.

For me it depends what discipline and what horse, even with a bespoke saddle or a fitted one your horse changes shape month to month with weight and muscle tome shifting slightly - so no fit is perfect longterm necessarily.

millitiger

Visit site
I use a Stephens half lined sheepskin saddlecloth.

Sometimes have a prolite as well depending on time of year/how muscled up he is.

Will be buying the same Stephens spec but in a numnah shape when I have a bit more £££ as I think it will fit his jumping saddle better.

Vetwrap

Visit site
My tb is sensitive and really does seem to appreciate plenty of sheepskin. My absolute favourite is a thick, dense, sheepskin numnah which I bought from Horses Health. It's unbranded, but very good quality. He also has a prolite under his jump saddle. I do also use polypads under his jump saddle, again, with the prolite.

I have a couple of lovely Mattes Platinum numnahs (well, one numnah and one half pad) for his dressage saddle. I am always on the lookout for bargain sheepskin - can't afford them full price!

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
As a fitter I recommend only three things - a thin, stable, dense numnah or pad for most well fitting saddles. Then half wool lined for sensitive skin and a little concussion absorption, and sheepskin for anything more in terms of concussion absorption. The Mattes correction system is the only shimming system and pad I'll work with - the felt shims are in secure well shaped pockets, are trimmable to give a really sculpted fit and are stable unlike many foams and gels which I am not a fan of.