What do you use under your saddle and why?

simplyhunting

Visit site
Plain saddlecloth with jump saddle.
Polypad type with v.thin gel non-slip pad under race exercise saddle. All horses very similar in stamp! Like the gel pad for a little shock absorption and stops everthing slipping and so thin it doesn't adjust fit.

jnb

Visit site
I have the world's most sensitive grey cob and everything rubs him especially when he's clipped.
I leave an oval (ISH) saddle patch when clipping and have two of these - one to wear once to wash, and I brush them when washed with a Christ Lambskin brush (looks like a dog brush to me) - this keeps the lovely soft fluffiness and his Highness is comfortable!

http://www.morpheus-designs.com/detail.asp?id=8

It's a moleskin, (thus thin but absorbent) Numnah with Lambskin under the seat, I.e half lined.
I've had the first one nearly 4 years and the second nearly 2. Really rate them - if you go to Badminton they have a stall there & there are bargains to be had!

soulfull

Visit site
I use a bucas square as it is thin enough but has a very soft layer against the skin and a sheepskin half pad. Emils skin is ao sensitive I would end up on the floor if I didn't
Just had saddles fitted to what I use. Works for us

Captain Bridget

Visit site
Currently he's got a normal saddlecloth with a sheepskin half pad because he's lost condition with the temperature drop, he's a poor doer and his weight can change quite rapidly. When I first started riding him he was in this combination and then he bulked up a bit so we got rid of the half pad but now we've had to add it back in again.

We are looking for a new saddle for him though and into changing his diet so hopefully these combined will mean we can go back to just using a saddlecloth on its own.

Cop-Pop

Visit site
I use a saddle pad and nothing else now I finally have a saddle that fits properly :D I've got one with fleece underside which stops her sweating up so much, when I was using a normal one she was getting very sweaty and itchy and I do not want to ride a horse with an itchy back lol

caramel

Visit site
I use a cottage craft half pad and am currently using a HKM thin pad, been advised by saddler not to use thick pads.

georgie256

Visit site
On one horse I have a gel half pad because she has a slightly sensitive back therefore it works for her, but on all the others at the moment I just have plain numnahs.
We have horses in and out all the time though so sometimes the half pads have to be used to make the saddle fit because they are saddles for me and not the horse, unfortunately.