What do you use your quads for?

Wheels

Visit site
I'm thinking of buying a quad but i would like to get the best use out of it. I mainly want it for spraying and fertilising as I find it so difficult to get contractors here for my 6 acres and local farmers are too hit and miss. I can use it to level the arena too but dont want it sat around doing nothing all of the time.

So... what do you use yours for?

Follysmum

Visit site
I use mine for poo picking I have a machine that it pulls. We also have a small trailer so can take hay feed water etc around the farm. Hubby has also been known to pop to the shops on it also

canteron

Visit site
Really useful for lots of things, moving fencing, feed, etc etc.

If you want it for poo picking you need a trailer that tips easily even when full ..... you also need something to shove the poo into the pile after tipping. I have given up and use wheelbarrows ..... interested to know how others use their quads for poo picking!!

Finlib

Visit site
We have a 4 wheel drive quad and use it for EVERYTHING tows a harrow for the fields a d a topper also a ballast roll an arena leveller for both outdoor and indoor schools. Taking hay down the pole barn in winter you can throw a couple of bales on the back have a tipping trailer that the sides come off to make it a small flatbed moving small bales about. Carrying posts and a post driver and tools to do fence repairs .Towing a trailer to carry containers of water in freezing weather .Thinking of getting a snow plow attachment !
We use it to reposition horse trailer ( and caravan) to save hitching up the Land rover as it's quick and manoeverable.
Would recommend the 4 wheel drive as better in the wet /ice / snow etc.

Last edited:

tda

Visit site
Yes I use ours every day, it pulls a tipping trailer for poo picking, we also have a poo Hoover that it pulls, take the dog for a run, moving fencing posts etc, can pick up 2 small bales if I need (one front one back) from local farmer.
I also have a round bale trailer so I can move them about/into yard.
Harrowing, but it's small, but only four acres so doable.
Seed/fertiliser sprayer attaches to the back.

MiniMilton

Visit site
Spraying, harrowing and trailering the grass away when we mow the grass. Make sure you get a decent 4WD. We initially bought a new 2 wheel drive and ended up trading it in for an older bigger 4 wheel drive. Much sturdier an safer

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
What sort of prices are people paying for a decent sized 4x4 one?

Am wondering if the budget can run to one. I don't think my Merc really appreciates being used as a pack horse/harrow-tower/fence-post-carter...

Edited: Autocorrect!

Last edited:

tda

Visit site
We've had ours a couple of years now, I think we paid £2750, it's a Kawasaki 360 with 2/4 wheel drive
It was a trade in at the local quad dealership
Edited to add, It had low hours and is a 2009 model

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Squats and lunges.

?

Sorry. I actually want a quad too so will watch with interest. I think it would make poo picking easier. And just generally moving stuff about. And harrowing the awkward field.

Can a quad pull a roller?

I keep thinking that every time it pops up back in the whats new!

autumn7

Visit site
Yes, we tow a roller with our Kawasaki 360. Also takes a mounted sprayer, tows chain harrow, fertiliser spreader, twice daily pick up using plastic tipping trailer with four trugs in. Pooper scoop into trugs then drive down and lift and tip trugs on to muck heap. If tipped out it doesn't end up on top of heap plus leaves some muck in trailer. Take hay round track on modified trays tied on rack behind seat and have a top box with fence mending gear and 'stuff's sitting in front of handlebars. Stand on quad to snip off high briars as they grow too! Best thing we ever purchased and couldn't live without it. A chance find on Ebay about 8 yrs ago at £2000. Ride it side saddle as easy to hop on and off when poo picking. Love of my life after horses (and hubby of course!)

Finlib

Visit site
Ours in a Honda model Big Red 4x4 250c.f. Bought it in 1992 low miles paid £1000 for it and it's still going strong hubby services it at the end of each winter.
4x4 are much better in bad conditions best £1000 we ever spent.
Lock it down well the most stolen item on a farm.

Ceriann

Visit site
We use ours quite a bit - tows the poo Hoover, carries trugs of water to the field, harrows (field and arena), sprays and fertilises and carries hay out in winter. We have 9ish acres.