What do you want from a sponsor?

Custard Cream

Visit site
My company is tentatively thinking about moving into sponsoring an eventer/dressage rider so before I make any plans, what is it that you as competitors look for from a sponsor? Is it just about free stuff and money?

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
My company is tentatively thinking about moving into sponsoring an eventer/dressage rider so before I make any plans, what is it that you as competitors look for from a sponsor? Is it just about free stuff and money?

It should be a totally two way process. When choosing a sponsor it is about products / value of support but also for example it can often be about knowledge. So if you are providing a type of product how it can help certain situations and improve performance and then allow the rider to feedback and be a real element in developing something. Clearly this isn't possible for all products. Over the years for me my best sponsors have always been people I have a good dialog with and I actually feel part of their team rather than something I am sent to use and that is as far as it goes. Hope I am making sense?

Not totally relevant to your query but have you read this that I wrote re sponsorship from riders point of view? http://www.shoestringeventing.co.uk/page67.html

mrsh2010

Visit site
I have recently got myself my first sponsor and after speaking to the Director he advised that the company get a lot of sponsorship requests, but because I'd gone to him with the idea of help and support of his services and not money it's what persuaded him to give me a six month trial.

I was more than willing to advertise him on my clothing, vehicle etc. But he's happy for me just to tell people where I go etc.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have had some help from companies, and it has been based around what I could offer them. For example I have had saddles and boots on "trial", not to buy, but to see how they could be improved. The saddles were temporary, the boots a gift.

In return for the products, or use of, I learned about the products, promoted them personally to clients I thought they would suit, commented on them on my blog, and also wrote a piece for the company for them to put on their web site. I also summarised any problems/improvements for product development.

I think for most riders any help is welcome, if your company has products that are horse relevant then that would be great. I guess the question would be, What do you hope to achieve from sponsorship? Then what kind of rider could deliver that? Then how could you best place your product with that rider?

If you do not have a horse related product then still, what are you hoping to achieve? I guess a more high profile rider would be better, for corporate guests at larger events. As a child I would often go to the Midland Bank sponsored Horse Trials as a guest. It was used for networking as well as a social event.

If it is a grassroots rider and you are not a horse company, what about rugs/clothing to promote your brand. Or maybe sponsor a class instead? That way you get your coverage even if a specific horse/rider is ill.

Without knowing what you wish to achieve, any rider would appreciate fuel, or lessons, or entry fees. Or bedding, or feed, or transport.....

I guess it is hard to suggest something without knowing what you hope to achieve.

Last edited:

Custard Cream

Visit site
Thanks for your replies. It's difficult to go into too much detail, I don't want to be pulled for advertising.

For us, we aren't an equestrian products business, though we do have products that we would like someone to place/wear whilst going about their job. I think for us we want someone that typifies our brand values, rather than someone that will flog our stuff, if that makes sense.

As a potential sponsor, I think we of course want brand exposure, but it's all about aligning our brand in the right sphere / social circles if that makes sense? We also want to feel part of the 'team' with the rider and as eventing enthusiasts it would be great to be involved behind the scenes at competitions and at home.

We've been absolutely inundated with enquiries, and we've approached a couple of very interesting people, so we'll see what happens.

Of course, most people just want money or free stuff, I just wondered if sponsors got involved in other ways, rather than just giving money or placing their products.