What do YOU want in a livery yard?

Annagain

Visit site
Space is the important thing to me - both in terms of turnout and for storage. The more space the horses are, the better the grazing, the longer turnout they can have and the less likely they are to fight / get up to mischief. I'd happily pay a bit more to have fewer horses on the land. Cramming too many people and horses into too small a space is a big source of discontent on yards, I think. My horses get out every day in winter no matter the weather and I wouldn't want to be anywhere where they didn't have that. It doesn't have to be grazing (although mine do get out in the fields) but it does need to be a decent amount of time in a decent amount of space with company every day. Ideally, I like small group turnout (we have 6 max in a group at our place, the smallest winter field is 7 acres)

Winters100

Visit site
Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask, but regarding tracks how does it work when you need to bring in to ride? I have always thought them a nice idea, and wondered whether I should try to have one made in part of the field, but fetching in sounds like a lot of bother. What do people do about this, do you make multiple entry/exit points so you can collect horses easily? And do you need long straight stretches so they can blow off steam, or bigger / wider areas for this? I have never seen one in real life so apologies if these are dunce questions.

holeymoley

Visit site
Facilities aren’t a main priority for me, other than the basic stable & field of some sort.

What is important to me is that what is advertised and promised is what you get. Not a few days/weeks down the line ‘oh we don’t actually do that or that’s extra or we can’t offer that today’

Drives me nuts! I moved to a yard years ago that promised me she could offer turnout. First two days the horse was still in unknown to me until I arrived in the afternoon. Same with current yard which does offer services but come the weekend/bank holidays etc etc you only get half the deal.

Chianti

Visit site
Research / to see what people really want!!!

What would you want in a livery yard?
I have things in the pipeline and very fortunate to be on a clean slate at the minute where I can redesign ( all subject to planning of course ).

Facilities as a base:
Yard capacity of 12.
Floodlit menage with jumps
Floodlit yard
Stables all with their own separate storage for rugs and feed
Secure tack room
Wash down area with warm (ish!!) water
Amazing local off road hacking
Secure locked gates and fence around the perimeter
CCTV and always someone on site.
Located in the north midlands in close proximity to the M1, also located near major roads to towns and on a bus route.
Hay included
Assistance there if needed.

But what would really sell a livery yard to you in addition to that? What makes it unique?

Option 1 :

The above facilities + all year round track system with different terrains, such as grass, wood chip, hard standing, sand with enrichment, with natural shelter and artificial shelter. All year round 24/7 access to track, may need bits fenced off if the weather is bad due to slipping. Ad lib Hay included and put in the field.

Option 2: The traditional herd turnout as who needs to be extra? With overnight stabling in winter. with option for assistance. Ad lib hay included and put in the field.

Option 3: Individual all weather artificial paddocks, with a field shelter each. 2-3 horses in each paddock, with a gate to their own grass field which can be shut in bad weather to keep them contained in the all weather paddock. Poo picking & ad lib hay included and put in the field.

Or is there anything else that would appeal to you if you could design your own place? Obviously there are budgets in place so unfortunately no olympic standards ?

Thank you, replies and ideas are massively appreciated. x

For my pony it would be option 1. He's just moved onto a track and I don't think I could ever put him back into a paddock. His life just seems so much better and he's so relaxed.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Either options 2 or 3 for me.

For me, the key isn't so much facilities (but personally, really good hacking is essential) but a yard with clear rules which are applied to all, a relaxed atmosphere where you can get on with doing your horse without too much interference ;)

chestnutcobmare

New User
Visit site
Thank you SO much for all your help and replies. Will be shifting through responses soon.

The gist of it so far;
good and sane management
good all weather management ( whichever option i decide for )
human facilities ?
individual turnout options for those who aren’t so friendly.

honetpot

Visit site
I forty years I have been five, from the basic to the one with just about everything, and it's to be left alone.
I will make do with no school, wash box, electricity, tea room, in return for no one watching everything you do, the poo police and the yard gossips, with the ability to turn out and bring in as I want.
But really the question is backwards way around. What is the going rate for the area, what can you afford to spend, and do you want to make an profit or at least cover your costs? The price of timber, concrete, and bricks is going up, and unless you are a providing the labour, that cost will be going up as well. Last time I priced fencing, the labour was two thirds of the cost, if you could get someone to do it.

Last edited:

fidleyspromise

Visit site
Option 3 would suit mine best however one has copd so needs haylage.

I'm on a yard with individual turnout- most owners have 2 horses (I have 3). I have 3 acres - others have 1 or 2 acres. Each field has a field shelter with lockable tackroom. There are no stables but I've converted my shelter so can lock horse inside if needed.
Water collects from roof into ibc and into a bath. - don't need to carry water so fantastic. There's a tap with hose for dry weeks.
Muck heap removed annually .
Outer fence repaired by yard owner if wear and tear otherwise I fix it.
I fence within field how I want.
Hacking is directly into woods across a road.
What I have is amazing. A bigger school plus use of jumps would be ideal but not essential. Storage for hay would be out of this world.

Eta: there is a constant waiting list for this yard. 12 fields/owners on it. Low turnover.

Backtoblack

Visit site

I'm on a yard with individual turnout- most owners have 2 horses (I have 3). I have 3 acres - others have 1 or 2 acres. Each field has a field shelter with lockable tackroom. There are no stables but I've converted my shelter so can lock horse inside if needed.
Water collects from roof into ibc and into a bath. - don't need to carry water so fantastic. There's a tap with hose for dry weeks.
What I have is amazing. A bigger school plus use of jumps would be ideal but not essential. Storage for hay would be out of this world.

Eta: there is a constant waiting list for this yard. 12 fields/owners on it. Low turnover.
Sounds idyllic

Smogul

Visit site
Option 2: The traditional herd turnout as who needs to be extra? With overnight stabling in winter. with option for assistance. Ad lib hay included and put in the field.
Option 2 would be a total turn off for me. At one point we had a had a native pony with sweet itch who needed access to stabling all year round and restricted grazing. Other horse needed loads of food and hated being out in bad weather. Current yard has a mixture of good doers, skinny malinks who need rich grazing and inbetweens. How would you cater for that?

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site

that sounds like a great place, would suit me very well if it had a loo as well, perfect!!

Muddywellies

Visit site
I can only have my mare on individual turnout so your grazing options wouldn't work for me. Your facilities sound good though.
Don't underestimate how much storage people need. How would you arrange that? Is there trailer and lorry parking, as well as everyday parking ? Design and materials of the stables. Timber loose boxes are absolutely boiling in summer so I prefer large cool airy stables with rear window (but out of the wind), sited so they don't get the sun all day. Decent fences and gates with fairly dry walkways. All weather tracks to paddocks. Decent arena surface harrowed regularly. But most of all, professional, knowledgeable management with a reasonable set of rules.

BBP

Visit site
Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask, but regarding tracks how does it work when you need to bring in to ride? I have always thought them a nice idea, and wondered whether I should try to have one made in part of the field, but fetching in sounds like a lot of bother. What do people do about this, do you make multiple entry/exit points so you can collect horses easily? And do you need long straight stretches so they can blow off steam, or bigger / wider areas for this? I have never seen one in real life so apologies if these are dunce questions.

Fetching in for me is no more bother than a normal field. I have one or two entrances and the horses just come up to that like any field. Or I walk down to get them.

Mine have a long loop round a big field with wider ‘loafing’ spots on the corners, and long straights up the hill for galloping up. They also have a big bank to play on, a hard standing area where we feed hay and a jump or step in and out of the arena if the EMS horse isn’t monopolising it. We either strip graze or have ‘bubbles’ of long forage we can use. EMS horse has arena, large hard standing and a wood chip/mud control mat track that runs round the outside with hay stations and water in different places.

They play a lot, run a lot, when they walk it seems more purposeful. It works for us but I only have 3-4 max. I’d worry in a bigger group about horses getting pinned between more dominant ones so the track has to be wide enough.

ihatework

Visit site
What I want in a livery yard varies depending on the horse(s) I’m looking to place there and my other (usually) work commitments at the time.

But what is non-negotiable is a friendly welcoming atmosphere. Clear management - knowing what is on offer / rules in advance and applied equally to all without goal posts being moved!! Safe maintained facilities.

The rest - well you cannot cater to everyone, so don’t try to. Be clear about what you can or can’t offer and then be upfront about it.

wiglet

Visit site
The facilities sound great. Option 3 would be my choice.

I wouldn't mind hay being placed in the field if included in the price. The problems arise when you put your own, good quality hay out and your field buddy puts cheap, dusty hay out. My horse was lower down the pecking order so go left to eat the rubbish.

As mentioned by others, the management must be impartial with no favouritism. YO must be approachable and fair.

A yard of 12 would be ideal for me - not too big but still plenty of company. Resist the urge to take on more horses than you can accommodate. I've been on several yards that have started at an ideal size for me then greed takes over and more stables are build without having the land for more horses. Everyone gets squeezed in, standards slip and arguments start. Stay at 12 horses.