What do you wear at the yard in this sunshine?

Dumbo

Visit site
Jodphurs, jeans and boots are definitely not ideal clothing to wear in 20degrees! I'm coming home sweating buckets having been mucking out and riding all day.
Shorts and sandals not ideal horsey clothing either!
Anyone got suggestions?

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
Lightweight jodhpurs and short boots are my choice, but my horse is big, clumsy and has huge feet, so the boots are a must. I go for a shortsleeved top and just sweat!

I have seen a couple of people go with shorts and full chaps to ride. You could try that?

flirtygerty

Visit site
Thermal long johns as jods, chaps and short boots, short sleeve t shirt and a vest hi viz, cool as a cucumber, except for my head, still sweat in my hat, my long johns have been used as show jods before now, being white

ilvpippa

Visit site
I take a pair of shorts to pop on once the riding stuff has done & leave my yard boots on with log thin socks. And even trainers If I'm just feeding in the field

AmieeT

Visit site
I ride in thinner jods and like ilvpippa take shorts to change into!

For my feet, I have a bog standard pair of Dunlop wellies, or if it's dry, an old pair of trainers!

Ax

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Breeches & short sleeved t shirt, with jodh boots & gaiters to ride.
Once all animals away (field etc) then a more strappy top & jeans.

I keep jeans, spare socks & t shirts at the yard & swap as required (bringing home to wash of course!)

keeperscottage

Visit site
Daughter turned up today in shorts and flip-flops......which meant I had to do all the "dirty work" although she did manage to lunge her TB in the arena - and moaned about the sand in her toes! X

Boulty

Visit site
Jods and t-shirt to ride then an old pair of shorts, short boots (with socks rolled down to make me look slightly less of an idiot!) and maybe a vest top if warm enough to do the rest of the chores!

montanna

Visit site
I wore a strapless top (no strap marks for me ta!) with leggings and boots yesterday. Then swapped into a t-shirt and proper bra to ride. Glorious weather, long may it continue!

Houndman

Visit site
Thin T shirt, shorts, lace up boots and an old Panama hat. Shorts are not comfortable for riding any distance or other than walk, and I know some of you will say I should wear a hard hat but it just gets too hot and gives me a headache when the sun is really hot.

It's probably easier for guys and I have been pictured in the Vladimir Putin pose before. My better half uses a sleeveless top most of the time.

For knocking about the yard (our own private yard) we both have flip flops and Tevas but we've got more sense around the horses and lace ups are the order of the day.

Last edited:

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Do my jobs wearing shorts and a t-shirt, then change into riding stuff (light breeches and t-shirt) to ride. If I'm staying at the yard after riding for a while then I change back into shorts, otherwise just go home in riding gear and shower. Oh, and put plenty of sun cream on!

Houndman

Visit site
Once did a 3 hour pleasure ride in shorts which was a mistake! Ouch!

It is actually very comfortable riding in bare feet during hot weather provided you have rubbers in the stirrups.

wiglet

Visit site
T-shirt, cotton breeches and boots/gaiters to ride. Once the riding is done I change into shorts but keep my boots on. When horse is back in field, I put trainers on. I have never, and would never wear sandels or flip flops around horses!! Although I knew a lady who used to come up in summer and muck her horse out while wearing flip flops - can still hear the squelching now :D

Houndman

Visit site
We keep telling the boys off for going near the horses in flip flops. Hope they don't have to learn the hard way. Kids, think they know better.......

Last edited:

montanna

Visit site
flip-flop-foot.jpg

This is what happens when you wear flip flops around horses!

DiNozzo

Visit site
I wear leggings to ride in with a vest top/light polo shirt...
You can buy leggings in lighter colours and if you buy 2 or 3 sizes bigger they don't stretch and don't go see through, but they are elastic-y enough to not fall down!
I also wear joddy boots with long socks to ride in.

montanna

Visit site
Ouch!!!!!

How long did that take to get better?

Gosh I don't know, it's not me, it's something that I have seen on facebook shared around at this time of year. I did stupidly wear trainers last year when attempting to clip my then 3 year old's ears - *GROSS ALERT* she trod on my big toe and tore the nail away from the nail bed - I had to have it rebedded at the hospital (after having THE most painful injection into my toe - seriously, worse than childbirth!). It took so long to heal that I ended up having to have it totally removed - it was nearly a year ago and my toenail has only half grown back. I will NEVER go near a horse without proper boots on now!!

Dumbo

Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions! I couldn't possibly get my legs out for the whole yard to see so will get myself some thin leggings to wear with shorter boots.

misskk88

Visit site
Lightweight jods, small tshirt with strap top underneath... preferably light coloured even if it does get filthy! As soon as I've ridden chaps and tshirt come off, much to my relief!!

Also make sure I have a cap in my car for when I am around the yard/field, just so it keeps the sun off my face a bit.

EDIT: Obviously the strap top stays on :D

Capriole

Visit site
Also make sure I have a cap in my car for when I am around the yard/field, just so it keeps the sun off my face a bit.

I wear a cap as well, to try to stop the sun getting to my face and tanning me or bringing my damn freckles out! One of my youngsters has been acting weird the past couple of days, realise yesterday she didn't like the caps. Soon as I took it off she was like AHHHhh hi, its you! So slung the cap in the landy and now my damn freckles have started to appear :/

Spring Feather

Visit site
I wear shorts and strappy tops and flip flops around the farm when it gets super hot in the summer. That's for all out of the field stuff. If I'm handling horses I generally wear my Danskos and if I'm riding horses then I wear my short boots.