What do your dogs do on the yard?

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Do they have free roam?

My yard is excellent, we all have our own dogs and they wonder around doing as they wish without any issues, all friends and play (can be 9 dogs there sometimes at once) I have a lab and a young spaniel, they never go far and are really well behaved in general. They wonder around doing their own thing but stay within the yard, while I muck out, do haynets. I do keep a eye on them but its hard to keep my eyes on them constantly while doing 2 stables every morning.

They do sometimes eat the odd but of poop and left over feed but to different to the rest of the dogs.

My cocker was sick last night and puked up a nail (horse shoe nail). Thankfully he seems fine, hes eating, pooing and weeing fine and his usual nutty self. Going to keep a very close eye on him for a few days but its worried me a bit.

Other half has said they should be shut in the tack room at all times, because its to dangerous to have them roaming if I can't constantly watch them as they can eat anything. Seems a bit over the top to me.. specially while all their friends roam. I have no idea what would convince him to eat a nail. Hes never eaten anything apart from poo and food in his life.

To add - This is a very small yard, every owner has dogs and we all get on very well. They respect the horses and are all well behaved.

Last edited:

ihatework

Visit site
I can’t stand livery yards where the dogs are free roaming around ... in my experience it leads to dogs under horses feet, peeing up hay nets/equipment, poo etc. And as much as people say they are watching/supervising they never are.

As far as I’m concerned dogs tied up or shut up around the stables if it’s a commercial livery yard.

Own private yard then it’s different.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I live on-site and keep my horses at home.

Have two dogs, they do everything with me on the yard i.e. chooks/guinea fowls, stable duties, poo picking, the lot.

Fave place is the muckheap (surprise surprise) which just means they have a ritual bathing in the shower on return to the house; also they'll usually find something to dig out (one is a terrier) which can be a PITA as huge great craters can appear at any time!

If anyone comes anywhere near the gate then they go into "Security" mode and tell me if someone's around; ditto the guinea fowls who schreek like banshees if they see anyone they don't recognise - and terrorise the horses (and riders!!) of the neighbourhood if anyone hacks around here........

I'd love to take the dogs out riding with me but dare not as they are totally suicidal if I try it. I have taken them on a little 40-mins circular route just around the block on quiet roads, but its still risky as the route is being increasingly used as a rat run and the pesky dogs will insist on going on ahead of me out of sight, and I stopped taking them because I really don't want anything awful to happen to them.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Probably an unpopular view around here but I agree with your OH. It just reminds me of soft play where parents abandon their children to cause havoc and beat each other up while they drink coffee and gossip and play on their phones lol.

Without wishing to offend anyone, I have no idea why you would take a dog somewhere and just leave it to its own devices, kind of defeats the point of dog ownership for me. Having said that I do have a breed that are not given to safe self-entertainment, if they can do something mad/bad/dangerous when you are not looking, they will :p

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
I can’t stand livery yards where the dogs are free roaming around ... in my experience it leads to dogs under horses feet, peeing up hay nets/equipment, poo etc. And as much as people say they are watching/supervising they never are.

As far as I’m concerned dogs tied up or shut up around the stables if it’s a commercial livery yard.

Own private yard then it’s different.

Its a small private yard, every horse owner has their own dog or dog(s). They don't get under the horses feet and are all very well behaved, give the horses space. We all get on well and all dog lovers, its really nice to have the dogs on the yard. Should of written that on the post.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Current yard does not allow dogs because the farmer has his own dogs and feels that it's their home. Previously, we've been on yards where we could take our two dogs but when lots of liveries bring dogs it can be a nuisance, particularly with dog mess on the yard, in the manege and fields etc. On one yard, 3 dogs were critically ill after licking a feed bucket that had had a wormer mixed in the feed.
I quite like bringing the dogs to the yard, but totally understand that on busy yards it can be a problem.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
If anyone comes anywhere near the gate then they go into "Security" mode and tell me if someone's around; ditto the guinea fowls who schreek like banshees if they see anyone they don't recognise - and terrorise the horses (and riders!!) of the neighbourhood if anyone hacks around here........

This is exactly what they do too, which is nice when I am in the dark on my own to know if they hear or see someone they'll bark and I feel safe because we have had a few instants of weirdos turning up for no reason. We have private fields so they also come for rides with me which is lovely and they absolutely love it.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Probably an unpopular view around here but I agree with your OH. It just reminds me of soft play where parents abandon their children to cause havoc and beat each other up while they drink coffee and gossip and play on their phones lol.

Without wishing to offend anyone, I have no idea why you would take a dog somewhere and just leave it to its own devices, kind of defeats the point of dog ownership for me. Having said that I do have a breed that are not given to safe self-entertainment, if they can do something mad/bad/dangerous when you are not looking, they will :p

As will most dogs ime!
And I have experience of (many) Labs, JRTs, GSDx, BC and Rottweilers. None of them could be trusted to behave sensibly at all times when out of sight.

ihatework

Visit site
Its a small private yard, every horse owner has their own dog or dog(s). They don't get under the horses feet and are all very well behaved, give the horses space. We all get on well and all dog lovers, its really nice to have the dogs on the yard. Should of written that on the post.

It’s not really a private yard if there are multiple owners that pay rent for a stable is it?

And when there are other people then you can’t control what they do, even if they do it completely unintentionally. For example not sweeping up properly after the farrier. Next time it might be leaving a wormer tube at dog height.

I’m a dog lover and always enjoyed having my dog up at the yard to have a run in the fields with the others. But around the actual yard, with the best will in the world, he would have been into horse food, eating manure, peeing on things if left unsupervised. Is it really worth the risk?

{97702}

Visit site
I’ve always had dogs and have always been on livery yards that allowed dogs - and I’ve always left my dogs at home!

I get so annoyed with other people’s dogs running riot on the yards I’ve been on - nicking things, crapping everywhere, running off and annoying the neighbours/nearly getting run over/worrying livestock - that I’m certainly not going to add mine into the mix 😄

Besides which they would inevitably murder any cats/chickens which are around, which is a tad embarrassing

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
OP, if you only want opinions validating that you are doing the right thing, then you have to balance how much you enjoy having your dogs on the yard, how much they love going, and how dangerous it is when they are able to eat things that could be potentially fatal to them because you are too busy to watch them.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
It’s not really a private yard if there are multiple owners that pay rent for a stable is it?

And when there are other people then you can’t control what they do, even if they do it completely unintentionally. For example not sweeping up properly after the farrier. Next time it might be leaving a wormer tube at dog height.

I’m a dog lover and always enjoyed having my dog up at the yard to have a run in the fields with the others. But around the actual yard, with the best will in the world, he would have been into horse food, eating manure, peeing on things if left unsupervised. Is it really worth the risk?

I say its private because its a very small yard with every livery having been up there longer than they can count.
Multiple liveries pay rent, yes, however every single owner on the yard has more than 1 dog who visits every day, twice a day so it isn't a issue because every livery is a dog lover. Because of this they're very careful with wormers, anything put in feed bowls so never had a issue but I do completely see your point.

OP, if you only want opinions validating that you are doing the right thing, then you have to balance how much you enjoy having your dogs on the yard, how much they love going, and how dangerous it is when they are able to eat things that could be potentially fatal to them because you are too busy to watch them.

That is very true, thank you. I think I'll have to keep them in my stables with me, while I am not watching them.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I take my collie up to my yard - but I don't actually go on the yard (unless I'm trailering out) - I park at my field which is a 5 minute walk from the yard. He doesn't leave my fields, but he wanders around doing his own thing - which is, mostly, watching me and making sure I don't sneak off without him! I take him hacking sometimes - he's very obedient, never goes out of sight / approaches people without permission, and comes back to be leashed before we go on any roads.

If I go on the yard itself, he's either not with me, or on a lead. There are loose dogs up there sometimes, but he's not one of them - I don't want him blamed for anything, or to cause an accident by popping out unexpectedly (plus, he's a collie - he does have a herding instinct, I wouldn't like him unsupervised!).

If he was the type to wander off, or get into mischief, or eat undesirable things, I wouldn't take him even to my fields.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
That's probably the safest option. Don't mean to be a negative nelly, I know these things can happen anywhere, my old dog swallowed two pairs of balled-up tights, which wound their way around her innards, you can probably imagine the aftermath and the vet bill....all for the sake of popping her in her kennel while we were busy.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
I’ve always had dogs and have always been on livery yards that allowed dogs - and I’ve always left my dogs at home!

I get so annoyed with other people’s dogs running riot on the yards I’ve been on - nicking things, crapping everywhere, running off and annoying the neighbours/nearly getting run over/worrying livestock - that I’m certainly not going to add mine into the mix 😄

Besides which they would inevitably murder any cats/chickens which are around, which is a tad embarrassing

Oh no! It depends on how well behaved they are I suppose. We have sheep, loose roam chickens, cats but they're all use to it and would never chase or nick anything, the yard area is a large space and enclosed.
Funnily enough, the crapping part made me think. I've never seen a dog crap on the yard, mine wait and go in the field when turning out so can only assume the other dogs do the same.

Last edited:

{97702}

Visit site
I’ve lost count of the number of dogs I’ve known who have left livery yards when they’ve been free range and have ended up worrying sheep - usually to cries of ‘oh they’ve never done that before’. As you can tell, I’m pretty jaded about dogs on livery yards after 20 years 😄

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
I’ve lost count of the number of dogs I’ve known who have left livery yards when they’ve been free range and have ended up worrying sheep - usually to cries of ‘oh they’ve never done that before’. As you can tell, I’m pretty jaded about dogs on livery yards after 20 years 😄

Oh no, that isn't good. :eek: Can't stand dogs bothering livestock or bogging off! Ours are working dogs and my other half has a farm full of livestock (as well as the YO having sheep, chickens) so they've been around that since little puppies and never once bothered them, they're always around when we help lamb but know to keep the distance. I suppose a dog is still a animal and you can never trust them 100% like horses but the yard is enclosed and secure.

We have a brown lab who owner lives onsite, they aren't horsey and the dog is only let out once a week and is a complete terror. Barks and chases the horses, has no recall, chases the livestock and chickens. Yet the owners don't seem bothered about it and let it continue to happen. Don't think they'll be there long!

meleeka

Visit site
I have my own yard so just is. I don’t watch my dog continually. Actually she’s eaten plenty that she shouldn’t have when I’ve been stood at the end of her lead! If it’s something that needs chewing she’ll drop it on command, but very small things she swallows quickly so I can’t have it. I’m fairly sure she’d never swallow a nail though and I doubt she’d find one on the floor anyway. I think the fact that your dog found the nail is probably more worrying.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
My dog tried to grab out of my hand and eat a glass dropper with a rubber top this morning. And he would be the more sensible of the two of them. I think we do give them a little too much credit sometimes....they don't think 'oh, that's sharp, better not stick that in my gob'.

monte1

Visit site
I am on a DIY yard and have three dogs, a lab and two spaniels who all work beating and picking up during winter time, so are mainly well behaved and have good recall. they come to the yard every day with me and i walk them in the fields surrounding the yard AM and PM.
When i am doing jobs or off riding, i generally shut them in the stable or in their crate in car, so i don't have to worry what they are up to, their favourite activities as you can imagine are eating from the muck heap and rolling in anything which smells nasty !!
We also have chickens and sheep on yard and my dogs are all used to them and take no real notice of either- although during lambing season i make sure I don't actively walk them through the sheep occupied fields so as not to unduly upset the pregnant ewes.

i am always very mindful of the other liveries and not annoying anyone by them being a nuisance or pooping where they shouldn't, i think we are very lucky that the owners let us bring our own dogs onto the yard so will do my utmost not to cause any problems.

The Trooper

Visit site
I take my collie up to my yard - but I don't actually go on the yard (unless I'm trailering out) - I park at my field which is a 5 minute walk from the yard. He doesn't leave my fields, but he wanders around doing his own thing - which is, mostly, watching me and making sure I don't sneak off without him! I take him hacking sometimes - he's very obedient, never goes out of sight / approaches people without permission, and comes back to be leashed before we go on any roads.

If I go on the yard itself, he's either not with me, or on a lead. There are loose dogs up there sometimes, but he's not one of them - I don't want him blamed for anything, or to cause an accident by popping out unexpectedly (plus, he's a collie - he does have a herding instinct, I wouldn't like him unsupervised!).

If he was the type to wander off, or get into mischief, or eat undesirable things, I wouldn't take him even to my fields.

I take my Collie Mahra to the yard and out hacking. She is great and is never far and always without fail comes when called, she does get left in a stable (Much to her disgust) if i'm doing something that requires my full attention, for example poulticing a hoof.

There are other dogs at the yard as well, I wouldn't say in particular any run riot but there are 1 or 2 that just don't do what they do and are a royal pain in the ass!

I know what people are going to say, but I trust her 100%. She is not a bad dog and would never do anything bad up there, apart from maybe stare at a cat. She doesn't eat poop, horse feed or treats (Unless i give her them).

She truly is perfection.

NB - Yard is situated on a farm with cows, sheep etc. I am always aware of where animals are before I go hacking, I would never for example take her into a field with sheep during lambing season... Not that she'd do anything if i did mind.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
I am on a DIY yard and have three dogs, a lab and two spaniels who all work beating and picking up during winter time, so are mainly well behaved and have good recall. they come to the yard every day with me and i walk them in the fields surrounding the yard AM and PM.
When i am doing jobs or off riding, i generally shut them in the stable or in their crate in car, so i don't have to worry what they are up to, their favourite activities as you can imagine are eating from the muck heap and rolling in anything which smells nasty !!
We also have chickens and sheep on yard and my dogs are all used to them and take no real notice of either- although during lambing season i make sure I don't actively walk them through the sheep occupied fields so as not to unduly upset the pregnant ewes.

i am always very mindful of the other liveries and not annoying anyone by them being a nuisance or pooping where they shouldn't, i think we are very lucky that the owners let us bring our own dogs onto the yard so will do my utmost not to cause any problems.

They sound very similar to my dogs, mine also come riding with me and they get walked around the farmers fields.

I think I'll start shutting them in the tack room or my stable if I am occupied, I think I trust the young spaniel a bit too much and clearly he likes eating weird things. He is a dream in general but clearly decided yesterday he'd eat a nail which has shocked me.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
I have my own yard so just is. I don’t watch my dog continually. Actually she’s eaten plenty that she shouldn’t have when I’ve been stood at the end of her lead! If it’s something that needs chewing she’ll drop it on command, but very small things she swallows quickly so I can’t have it. I’m fairly sure she’d never swallow a nail though and I doubt she’d find one on the floor anyway. I think the fact that your dog found the nail is probably more worrying.

I really do have no idea. My gelding was shod in my stable. I give the dogs some hoof which they sit and wait for but I've used my farrier for over 6 years and hes never dropped anything and I've always sweeped up every bit. I was keeping a eye on him the entire time he was being shod, he wasn't off doing his own thing. Mmmm.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Why would you think that is ok in the field, where your horse has to eat?

Oh my, so many questions! Thank you for your concern. The field in question the dogs poo in (and farmers dogs poo in, he has no issue and told us this) he doesn’t use for anything as we ride in there throughout the year. It is on a steep hill so pretty useless, luckily he has little horses and sheep yet lots of land so this field is literally just used to ride in and not used for hay or grazing.

The horses fields are completely separate and the dogs wait while I turn the horses out, then we go for 'free time'

Last edited:

Clodagh

Visit site
I imagine your dog ate a bit of hoof or poo that had a nail stuck to it. I used to work on a yard and never took my dogs, but then I was being paid to be there. I think the shutting them in when you can't watch them us a good idea. At home, where I had my horses, the dogs wandered around but it was only me.
Mine pooed in the paddocks, it is gone in days in summer, I think you need to be careful with cattle as dog faeces can carry something that causes abortion.

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
Husband's dog and mine are kept on lead or else shut away in their kennel area in our tack room. Sometimes we'll practise recall work in the indoor school if nobody's using it. They do their toileting on the walk to and from the yard or at home in the garden.