What does 12 stone including tack actually look like?

rubysmum

Visit site
Given that so many riding schools, trekking centres have this as their upper weight limit and following on from many, many posts here, I am actually interested in what that weight actually looks like with average height people on average sized horses.

This is me, 5'7 , I actually weigh 11 stone 8, but if you factor in heavy boots, hat, warm clothes and tack, I probably hit the magic 12 stone limit.
But I suspect that most riding schools, except perhaps those who routinely weight all new riders, would not consider that I am actually at the very top of their weight limit

4f89663536dd758068cd937fd735fb8a.jpg

Liath

Visit site
I'm a similar height/weight and build... and I'd guess that if you add heavy boots, and tack and 'winter weight' clothing, we'd both not only hit but go well over the magic 12 stone limit... and likewise I doubt many riding schools would deny either of us a lesson unless they actually asked our weight!

Keenjean

Visit site
Especially when you bear in mind an average saddle actually weighs 8kgs I suspect a lot of the riding population would be over this limit with all there gear on and the weight of the saddle taken into account. Yet i bet theyd not be overweight in general terms!

Jesstickle

Visit site
I'd have been a good 11 stone something in this pair of photos

DSC03311.jpg

11-26-2011_007.jpg

I don't think I look massively fat or like I'd get hauled over the coals at a RS? Sorry, can't find one where I'm wearing something skin tight for proper appraisal!

Hollyberry

Visit site
I think this is a bit of a wake up call to be honest. I can remember advertising for a sharer for my 15.1 connie and saying that up to 10 and a half stone was acceptable to err on the side of not being honest about their weight. I was dumbstruck by some of the people who phoned and said they were 9 1/2 stone and when they appeared were clearly far more than that judging by my known weight. Difficult to tackle when they are standing in front of you. None of the above riders I would have put as above 10 stone so it does make you think.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
What happens for the average male rider, let alone female ones. My son is nudging 6 foot, haven't put him on scales recently but he does rugby and rows as well as riding. Not fat in the least but certainly muscular. He must be 12st including tack.

Bobbly

Visit site
Well, I hate to admit it but I'm 5'9 and 14st naked and my lad is 148cm. He makes no bones about carrying me and bounces about all day!

bobs2707101.jpg

bobshwp062.jpg

_MizElz_

Visit site
Interesting thread...

I am 5'2 and have fluctuated around the 13 stone mark for about five years now (I know, clinically obese by the BMI scale, see sig photos for reference!)
My mare is 15.2, and not what I would consider to be of 'heavy' build. Interestingly though, a few years ago I went on holiday with my mum (a little heavier than me) and my brother (a foot taller and, at that time, 11 stone 6) and we went for a beach ride together at a local riding school. We were honest about our weight, and because they have a 12 stone limit, they gave my mum and I (both very experienced riders) a Shire each (and I am NOT joking - somewhere I have the photo to prove it) and my complete novice rider brother was given a lightweight 14hh pony. Erm.......! :confused::D

spottyUnicorn

Visit site
I think theres an awful lot of people out there who have no idea about weight. You only have to take a look at some threads here on H&H to see how some are slagging others off and calling them obese and that they shouldn't sit on a 16 hh horse because they are 11 stone and a lardy cake and burger eating fat pig! (Never mind that that person may live on lettuce). 11 stone at 5 foot nothing is a very different person to 11 stone at 5 foot 10. Fitness also has a lot to do with it. Personally I think that these places with their crazy low weight limits should actually look at the people and assess them by eye and then give the call if they want them on their horses or not. Yes, I can understand they might not want a ten tonne tessy sitting on their ned's backs but it seems that you are unfairly disadvantaged if you are tall. I think as some of these example pics in this thread show if people were seen in the flesh then others would think they are a suitable and acceptable weight to get on a horse's back.

I have recently been looking to have some quality lunge lessons on a school master to improve my seat etc ... top weight allowed ... 10 and a half stone. If I'm a man then I can be 11 stone! When I last weighed that a couple of years ago people were asking me if I was eating properly, or had I got anorexia .... Now at a mega 11 stone 10 I have no hope of being able to have lessons at this establishment. Do I look fat, no. I'm 5 foot 8 and look pretty average.

And rubysmum what/who is that horse it is lovely - looks like a Knabby or part bred to me - its not Zooby is it?

rhino

Visit site
You only have to take a look at some threads here on H&H to see how some are slagging others off and calling them obese and that they shouldn't sit on a 16 hh horse because they are 11 stone and a lardy cake and burger eating fat pig!

I do hope you are reporting all these posts, as they are clearly in contravention of the forum rules. Must be, I suppose, as I have certainly never seen any of them :confused:

I have seen plenty of people say they want to lose weight for their horse's sake, or that personally they wouldn't allow anyone over a certain weight on their horse - which is clearly their opinion and I fail to see the offence in it. I realise weight is a sensitive subject - it's something which has bothered me in the past, but I do think that it is an important subject to discuss - moreso as average weights (of horses and humans) are increasing :)

Some lovely horse and rider combinations on here. Bobbly your little grey is a stunner!

Skippys Mum

Visit site
About 14 stone 6lbs when this photo was taken. I had got up to just over 15 stone and decided it wasnt fair on my boy. I'm now down to just under the 14 stone but its not been easy. Arnie is rather chuffed though. I am 5' 10" and he is dead on 15hh
IMG_7740800x600.jpg

Skippys Mum

Visit site
Are you sure your scales were working. You look really slim!
Thankyou:D

Nope, scales are definately working. I am lucky cos I have long legs so I get away with it to a point.

This was taken last weekend. I was at 14 stone dead that day. Navy jods are far more flattering than cream mind you!
IMG_8887800x600.jpg

becca1305

Visit site
I agree that RCs with low weight limits might struggle to determine riders who exceed their max weight limit without the use of scales. I weigh 11 1/2 stone so would also be pushing the 12 stone limit dressed and kitted up + tack yet no one ever guesses Im that heavy. As a 6ft rider it makes sense and my BMI was ideal last I checked, I also would struggle to get below 10 1/2 stone and be healthy so becoming a 'lightweight rider' is nigh on impossible for me (However I'm sure some others my height who are more slight could! but Im broad framed & long heavy thigh bones). I would really be interested to hear any research into the difference in impact (if any) on a horse of a novice short larger lady rider and an experienced taller slighter lady rider of the same weight; I am mainly of the opinion that weight is weight and the horse still has to carry it regardless of shape, balance or skill, but perhaps some allowance should be granted for the taller balanced rider through less impact on the horses back/ greater weight spread distribution as more weight in legs? any opinions? Sorry just my rambling musings! :D

Anyway picture below shows me probably weighing all in with tack at 12 stone- maybe a little less as saddle lightweight mono flap (own weight 11 1/2 stone), not sure if its the best pic to demonstrate difficulty in guessing weight but thought I would post as no one ever guesses I weigh as much as I do! :eek:

ScreenShot2012-09-20at235841_zpsb71a9d9b.png

Last edited: