What does a Tom Beech clinic involve?

Reacher

Visit site
Having seen recommendations on here I'm wondering about taking Mr H to a Tom Beech clinic for a general check up.
There are no obvious soundness or performance issues, I probably fall into the "worried well" category of owner! He isn't quite straight in his front feet and hooves aren't medio- laterally symmetrical - though has never caused any problems. Horse is barefoot.
Interestingly a couple of years ago a vet hypothesized he might be a head shaker - we were having some performance issues early on , likely a hang over from previous sore / atrophied back muscles which was treated - don't know if that vet was correct re the head shaking - we haven't seen any on going issues since then and horse's strength and muscling continues to improve.

Horse gets 6-7 monthly visits from the dental technician, 6 monthly visits from an acpat physio in normal times, though this has got rather behind due to lockdowns (was last seen in summer) and he also last had a sports massage in November. He is also a little overdue his saddle fit check - I would have to travel hour and half to saddle fitters.

So basically I'm wondering whether going to one of Tom's clinics would be beneficial as a general check up - I don't know what it involves, it would be a 2.5 hour drive to the nearest one and I'm not sure if that is an option currently or to leave until lockdown ends.
Any thoughts?

fairyclare

Visit site
Weather permitting I am taking my rising 3yr old to see Tom tomorrow (b*gger off snow!!)
There is absolutely nothing wrong with my homebred but he was gelded last year, I want to make sure there is no gelding scar, I also want to nip anything in the bud - he is a very big foal and plays hard with his boyfriends in the herd.
I am indeed a 'worried well' owner

I have only previously been with another horse who had a catalogue of issues and Tom was fantastic with her but I guess a general check up would be quite different from a horse with known problems, that said Tom does do a full body assessment on everything.

Should the clinic go ahead tomorrow, I will let you know.

Reacher

Visit site
Thanks @SEL, I contacted him the other day and was offered a clinic in Lancashire so I don’t think he is coming my way.

Roxylola

Visit site
Have a read of my write up if you haven't, and follow his Facebook as that tells more than I can. Hes a qualified vet, and an osteopath. He promotes a holistic view when treating horses, he did not in my experience look with a magnifying glass at a "problem" area. Ours was primarily a left fore symptom but I didn't feel it was a left fore issue. I couldn't pin it down much more than that though.
So for a non issue, a non specific problem or just a sort of could perhaps be better, I'd definitely recommend him. He found all the same issues as massage tech, physio, and farrier have mentioned but the root was further back, which also fits with the lack of jump in canter and lack of locomotive power we get when ridden. I felt a difference yesterday when I rode - will add to my write up. I could visibly see his sacrum change shape following treatment.
Hes highly knowledgeable, clearly loves his work and is able to discuss what he's doing and why. He's worth paying for a session just to chat to and observe.

Reacher

Visit site
Thanks @Roxylola - in fact it was your thread which I blame for making me think of booking a clinic ?
My horse doesn’t have any issues that I know of - it’s more for reassurance as he is now heading into late teens that everything is ok. I may hold off until after lockdown when daylight hours are longer for travelling too.

Roxylola

Visit site
Thanks @Roxylola - in fact it was your thread which I blame for making me think of booking a clinic ?
My horse doesn’t have any issues that I know of - it’s more for reassurance as he is now heading into late teens that everything is ok. I may hold off until after lockdown when daylight hours are longer for travelling too.
I'd get in touch with him as he takes around 3 months to do his regular "tour". I first contacted him at the beginning of December and the earliest he offered me (other than sort of "emergency appointment ") was the February clinic

foxy

Visit site
My horse was diagnosed with ulcers and then Kissing spine. He was operated on in Oct after rehab still isn't quite right so I took him to see Tom on Sunday. It was very interesting and Tom was great he explained everything in detail and was happy to answer my questions. I came away with renewed hope that my horse will recover and that I won't have to retire him. He has a completely different approach. I would definitely recommend going if you get the chance.