What does "Emergency Exit" mean to you?

Hepsibah

Visit site
I rent a lovely little field at the bottom of my village next to some commercial units. Both belong to the same owner and he rents the field and units out. We've been there three years and have just paid a year's rent in advance. The new tenant of one of the units has decided the emergency exit in his unit leads to a useful outside space where he and his staff can wander around on lunch breaks. They also leave said exit open wide when they wish to (I asked them to block it off just in case the ponies wandered through and escaped). Today after work I went to feed them and found this in their field...

375702309_3544224015907378_44283233964377654_n.jpg
It's a huge chunk of metal, painted and left to dry out in my pony's field. Apparently the landlord isn't allowed to rent the outside of an emergency exit to me so it's okay for him to put it there. Also, he pays more for his unit so the landlord won't care....

Hepsibah

Visit site
Def contact the landlord for 'advice' as who is liable if your horses got injured or escaped. Send the photo, are they trespassing on your land?

Maybe just the people are just ignorant about livestock so need educating (just giving them the benefit of first offence).
They are mobile vets and the gentleman's wife is a horse owner.

Hepsibah

Visit site
I have messaged the landlord. There is a possibility the land outside that exit should not be rented to some other party for legal reasons but that doesn't make it okay.

Hepsibah

Visit site
I was alone with at least four belligerent men, maybe more. Nobody knew where I was and my partner was an hour and a half from being home from work. I felt it was dangerous to do more than I did.
368403988_736586688296776_7082718322365139062_n.jpg

I took this picture when I realised I was being watched as I put the fence around the object. He didn't want to be seen on camera intimidating me.

Parrotperson

Visit site
I had a friend who rented some land from a local hotel.

One day they said one if their guests was coming in a helicopter and would land in the field.

She said absolutely not. The horses might hurt themselves.

They did it anyway.

The horses were actually fine about it. So much so that in the morning they had chewed at a large panel on the helicopter and caused thousands of pounds worth of damage.

No claim on her because she’d warned them.

Tell the landlord that the horses will likely damage whatever these people put in your field and you’re not paying for it.

irishdraft

Visit site
Emergency exit means just that, an exit in an emergency nothing else. If you have paid rent for your field which includes the land behind the unit & which this new tenant has decided your landlord cannot rent to you, how does he know that ? then you must immediately contact your landlord re the situation and also inform him you were intimidated by these men who sound like a load of bullies who are hoping everyone is going to bow down to them x Good luck x

SilverLinings

Visit site
The older I get the more difficult I find it to understand why some fully grown adults choose to behave like 13 year old school bullies. I am sorry you are having to deal with this @Hepsibah, and I hope that your landlord lays down the law with the vets and tells them to stick to the unit they've paid for and to stop encroaching on others space.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Also tell the landlord you felt intimidated and feared for your safety.

I wouldn't go down this road just yet, it's not difficult to get branded a 'hysterical woman' if they would like to spin it that way (not belitting your experience OP, I would ahve felt the same as you).
I would approach from a H&S, horse safety, loyal easy tenant, they're on my part of the land type of way first.

Hepsibah

Visit site
I wouldn't go down this road just yet, it's not difficult to get branded a 'hysterical woman' if they would like to spin it that way (not belitting your experience OP, I would ahve felt the same as you).
I would approach from a H&S, horse safety, loyal easy tenant, they're on my part of the land type of way first.

I won't go down this road at all, I just didn't want to escalate a worrying situation any further by putting my hands on their property.