What does it mean when...

the watcher

Visit site
they have no balls!!! You wont ruin any horse hunting unless you ride it like an idiot or you dont have ANY control of it!

Yes, it's a euphemism for 'I don't dare go hunting'.

Or alternatively - I have in the past been on hunts where the field has moved off at a canter from cold, across deep plough, where the general pace over rough ground would potentially cause injury or where horses that rarely hunt have become a bit of a handful, and this has then transferred on to any group event, making future fun rides anything but fun.

If the horse is fit and well prepared, and goes out regularly all of these are less of an issue - but if a horse spends most of the time in the school or other surfaces, and rarely gets to go out and party in company, then maybe it isn't such a good idea...

...it isn't automatically a sign of wimpishness in the rider

peakpark

Visit site
Well yes, that may be the case, but nonetheless 'I don't want to ruin my horse by taking it hunting' has a slightly patronising ring to it implying that those horses who do go hunting are of less value or quality.

teabiscuit

Visit site
i was talking to a huntsman (ona fin ride i hasten to add) about his mare

he'd bought it for his wife as a confidence giver, but after a couple of times out hunting she'd got so excited about the whole thing, he said she developed a fried brain attitude, hence she became his horse

pennyh

Visit site
.......he said she developed a fried brain attitude....,

this happened with my friends horse too , he bought her very much with hunting in mind after having to retire his hunter but she had never been , he is certainly a fearless type :shocked: but it just sends her loopey , he thought it was funny to begin with but even he has now got past that :eek:

the watcher

Visit site
Well yes, that may be the case, but nonetheless 'I don't want to ruin my horse by taking it hunting' has a slightly patronising ring to it implying that those horses who do go hunting are of less value or quality.

I don't think that is really the case, there are very few horses that are better than a bold hunter with manners - however as an activity it could be incompatible with others and any injury sustained or blemish or even change of personality could impact on the value of the horse.

I think your perception of this says more about you than the person making the statement.

Starbucks

Visit site
I suppose it is more dangerous and potentially more mind altering than most other things you could do with a horse – obviously depending on what you do. So if people aren’t really bothered then I can understand why they might say that, although I think they could find better words if they don’t want to sound like a bit of an arse around hunting folk - like “I don’t think it’s worth the risk because I’m only really interested in Eventing/Dressage/SJ and I’m not really fussed about hunting” . Thats what I think anyway. :)

I_A_P

Visit site
i decided on not taking my last horse hunting as i really thought after a while she may become too keen and i want to have a nice control able ride.
Also i was worried about her damaging her legs, and as i evented and did locak stuff with her hunting wasnt my main aim, and i could do without it quite happily.
would never use the ruining phrase though.

RunToEarth

Visit site
they have no balls!!! You wont ruin any horse hunting unless you ride it like an idiot or you dont have ANY control of it!
I disagree. I have balls, I have hunted since a child and I have one lovely retired hunter and one full time hunter. I hunt other people's horses for them too, I have balls, honey believe me ;)
However, two seasons ago I had a chestnut TBx showjumper, t was 5 and high as a kite, it had a nice jump and a steady pace, and I truely believed taking it hunting would blow its tiny brains, and I have seen it happen so many times. Hunting is a very demanding sport, so many horses just cannot handle it mentally and physically.

winterhorse

Visit site
i was talking to a huntsman (ona fin ride i hasten to add) about his mare

he'd bought it for his wife as a confidence giver, but after a couple of times out hunting she'd got so excited about the whole thing, he said she developed a fried brain attitude, hence she became his horse

this is not always the case. my horse had a bit of a rep before i got him and had done nothing.
my OH hunted hounds off him and i rode him in the field too. hunting was his reason for being
my horse was 17.1hh and i am only small as i used to work in racing!!

i don't think you can really say any horse is too valuable to hunt, it is all down to the rider. besides accidents can occur anywhere: a very expensive stallion, injured himself just walking to the covering barn

RunToEarth

Visit site
ETA:
I'd never have a horse and NOT take it hunting, hell I have bent my coloured horse to hunt because although he is the perfect hunter build and has the real wild factor perfect for hunting he was really really fizzy and when I first bought him he was a real drag horse, he would have never coped with our hunt pre ban because he just HATED to be stodd still, which is why I'm usually walking him round in circles at the damned meet, 3rd season I ave had him. I just think some horses don't settle, I've bottomed mine into hunting, but I know a few down at the yard that are just dangerous, there is nothing more scary out hunting than an uncontrollable horse, not just for disgracing yourself but for your own safety too! I think everyone should try their horse out hunting at least once though, never dismiss hunting on breeding or anything like that, the only reason I choose not to hunt some horses is because after the 2nd and 3rd time of them being utterly terrifying whats the point? I go out hunting to support the cause and to have a bloody good day!

peakpark

Visit site
quote/ I think your perception of this says more about you than the person making the statement. [/quote]

That sounds quite aggressive, The Watcher.

the watcher

Visit site
Not at all -I'm never aggressive (although I understand that underlying aggression is quite a feature of the hunting section and shouldn't surprise anybody)
Quite simply it could have been a harmless comment made for a variety of reasons, and possibly only somebody who feels that their hunting horses are not valued by those in other disciplines would interpret it in that way.

Certainly if I heard that said I wouldn't feel slighted - or assume that the person saying it was only doing so because they are too wimpy to hunt, which is the other conclusion

Loupride

s25.photobucket.com
I'm an example of someone who wont hunt my horse anymore :confused: Ok, it's a bit different because my horse is now 17 but I just feel it will be too much for him.I cant risk him injuring himself just for the sake of me having a good day out! Don't get me wrong P LOVES to hunt and I have had some of the best days hunting with him but I fell like I have to mind him now....

In his day he would cross any land, God knows he the typical Irish Hunter :grin: Other on our yard though would kill themselves!! Nothing to do with the rider... it would simple blow their brains...

Horses for courses I suppose :grin:

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
Rosiepimms!! you are the last person I'd say didnt have balls!!! - The Watcher - Aggressive - nah dont think so!!

What I was trying to say is those who feel they will ruin their horse must have a justified reason for saying, generally at least, so if they have a valid reason like "fried brains" (which can happen I wont hunt my OH's horse - I was warned by seller it would kill me, and certainly out hunting he would!).

BUT if person saying "I dont hunt my horse as I dont want him ruined" without adding...because he has naff legs, or his brain will fry, I can only assume they have no balls as they dont give a reason for not going.

Hunting has made lots of horses that I have ridden, freshened them up, made them bold jumpers and got them damn fit.

As for the legs thing, sorry but I am bit tough here, if you namby pamby around you will get more problems, in the wild they dont stop galloping on hard ground, but then again I suppose in the wild they dont have roads....tricky argument!!

In PG you will see my 27 year old horse with our MFH who has borrowed him. Not once have I pandered to surfaces or deep ground, he is fit as a fiddle and never been lame in 8 years, not ONCE! Maybe I am lucky but I have never seemed to have the problems with soundness that loads of "careful" people do. Toughen em up I say!!

Loupride

s25.photobucket.com
As for the legs thing, sorry but I am bit tough here, if you namby pamby around you will get more problems, in the wild they dont stop galloping on hard ground, but then again I suppose in the wild they dont have roads....tricky argument!!

In PG you will see my 27 year old horse with our MFH who has borrowed him. Not once have I pandered to surfaces or deep ground, he is fit as a fiddle and never been lame in 8 years, not ONCE! Maybe I am lucky but I have never seemed to have the problems with soundness that loads of "careful" people do. Toughen em up I say!!

Not sure if this is directed at me or not but I dont think I have namby pambied around :confused: As for being fit, thats not a problem, we dont hunt unfit horses so anything I have ever taken to a meet has always been up to fitness. That doesnt mean they can get injured though...

I have been very lucky with P in reagrds to lameness, he is a tough little horse in many repects but I stand by my decision not to hunt him, personal choice I suppose.....

pinktiger

Visit site
some horses brains just dont cope with hunting!! They are all different and some r betta at dressage than sj, its horses for courses!!!!!! I would always try a mornings hunt tho on a young horse as i feel helps them develop that '5th'leg for xc phase!!!!!

the watcher

Visit site
I do agree with hunters generally being tough horses, but that is because they are conditioned quite carefully every year for that very discipline - you wouldn't drag your hunter out of the field from the summer break and expect it to go flat out over miles of rough ground. I am assuming you would do the traditional walk/ trot/ fast work build up.

If they are fittened properly I agree that injuries are far less likely. Many horses simply aren't fit or strong enough, especially those that only occasionally hunt, or indeed have the kind of breeding that gives them the strength and bone required.

Natch

Visit site
QR - I'm the first to say I'm too much of a wimp to hunt, but I'd make a statement not dissimilar to the one that started this thread - "I won't hunt because I'm scared he or I will get injured" :eek: :crazy:

For me, because I have never been and I am too wimpish to jump and I am never 100% convinced when people say "there is always an alternative to every jump on X hunt" I think there is probably a higher chance of horse getting injured because I simply don't know how to ride the jumps and would be giving off 100% bricking it vibes to the horse - and if anything did happen I'd never forgive myself because me taking them hunting had caused that. At the end of the day it is considered by insurers to be a high risk element of equestrianism, and I believe them. Fair play to all of you who have never had a horse injured through hunting.

Quite strange really I consider myself to be confident in anything else with horses, I'll get on the "wild" ones etc, and wouldn't worry about hunting a sound fit horse in the slightest if it didn't involve jumping at all.

In all fairness my ride has an old injury so isn't allowed to jump big anyway, and I wouldn't risk riding him through deep going or hammering him on roads because the vet has said his scar is a weak point. Now isn't that a nice excuse for me - I can hide behind that rather than me being a wimp!! :grin:

Think I'll always be too scared that horse or I will get injured to go hunting.

Hersom

Visit site
It's also worth saying that early season hunting when the horses are less fit differs from this end of the season when it's a steeplechase.

When we first went out we cast disapproving looks at these hunting types arriving with their horses ready saddled. Risky to the horse and to the kit, we thought. That didn't last long. One of the most dodgy things to do is to attempt to saddle an over-excited hunter from scratch at the meet. Our three all arrive saddled, and we now get those looks from the showjumpers at the yard.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I don't hunt any more, and I wouldn't trust my horse becuase he is so clumsy I wouldn't trust his jumping, but I think it would do him good if he had a braver rider.

It depends on whether you want your horse to be a hunter, which some people do and go to any lengths to make them. Including taking them 6 days a week if necessary (it has been done!). Butr some would be "ruined" if you only took them 2 or three times and they got realy excited and didn't learn that it isn't all galloping around ALL the time.

As for saddling, etc. That made me laugh and I have thought about that when I carefully prepare to go to a dressage competition. It used to be, saddle and bridle on, no haynet, headcollar and travel boots on. No tendon boots or anything like that. Get to the meet, unload, remove boots, headcollar and rug, tighten girths and get on. None of this namby-pambing around. And I often used to theleave the saddle on for the journey hom,e just remove the bridle and give the horse a drink and a haynet in the box back home.

Starbucks

Visit site
I can understand why people would not want to take their horse hunting for risk of injury - as you say it depends on if you want your horse to be a hunter or not. My main horsey hobby is hunting but if it was something else and I wasn't too fussed about hunting I might wonder if it is worth the risk. However I do think horses are there to be ridden and if they get injured they get injured. From a horses perspective I think they would rather take the risk! :p

I can also understand that people would not want to take their horse because they thought it would freak out and be scary.

I'm still not convinced hunting can "ruin" a horse mentally though. They know the difference. I took my old horse once and he completely lost the plot and I was totally bricking it - really frightened me more than a horse ever has but he was totally normal afterwards.

Do some people think that if they take a horse hunting and it freaks out that it will be disturbed for the rest of it's life???

the watcher

Visit site
'Do some people think that if they take a horse hunting and it freaks out that it will be disturbed for the rest of it's life??? '

It can certainly make them excitable in group exercises, like fun rides, which can be no fun at all. I tend to take the view that a horse goes hunting, or it doesn't. Just going occasionally is likely to be the most mentally and physically damaging, in my view.

Kenzo

Visit site
You need to respect your horse no matter what discipline your into.

People that say 'they don't wont to ruin there horses hunting' must of either not of been hunting, perhaps seen a few scary moments where a horse has fallen fowl to an injury or perhaps need to keep there horses in top notch/blemish free condition for the show ring (which is quite understand) but the horse is just as likely to sustain a bad injury galloping around its own paddock too...

I must admit some of the horses on the hunting field are there for the job and the job only, some perhaps are treated like machines HOWEVER you get that in all disciplines like showing, SJ, XC, racing etc etc.

Don't let anybody look down on you or judge the way you treat or care for your horse just because you take your horse hunting, you don't have to go tearing around the fields
jumping ditches and stone walls if your horse is not up to it, nobody forces you to ride your horse through brambles and squeezing through hedge rows etc its all your choice. Everybody has their own responsibility for their own horse and that is what these people should be told when they turn round and dis you for hunting!

Most people who take there horses hunting do very much care about there horses and have a fanatic partnership with their horse...you have to and there horses really enjoy it. :grin: