What does KWPN mean?

Bugly

Visit site
Can we start a 'Things you'd like to know but are too embarrassed to ask section'?

OK, look I know allot about horses but why on earth don't I know what KWPN means in terms of a horses description?

Yours 'stupid and embarrassed' of Gloucestershire

Angua2

Visit site
I had to look it up.... but this is what I found

A Dutch Warmblood registered with the Koninklijk Warmbloed Paardenstamboek Nederland (Royal Warmblood Studbook of the Netherlands (KWPN), which governs the breeding of competitive dressage and show jumping horses, as well as the show harness horse and Gelderlander, and a hunter studbook in North America. Developed through a breeding program that began in the 1960s, the Dutch are some of the most successful horses developed in postwar Europe.

Trubie

Visit site
Hehe dont worry i didnt know either and my boy is KWPN, i assumed it was something good when i bought him though!
smile.gif

peanut

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Can we start a 'Things you'd like to know but are too embarrassed to ask section'?

[/ QUOTE ]

On a totally different subject, what does QR stand for? I've gathered that it refers to the original post but haven't a clue what it means
blush.gif

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
It means that you are using the Quick Reply at the bottom, which will automatically show your post as a reply to last poster, when in fact, you are replying to the OP.

Stacie_and_Jed

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
It means that you are using the Quick Reply at the bottom, which will automatically show your post as a reply to last poster, when in fact, you are replying to the OP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blimey! I have also wondered what that meant but never wanted to ask!
blush.gif

I would never have guessed that either!

TexmexVI

Visit site
I have a KWPN and didnt realise it stood for that
blush.gif
! Duh. Just knew it had something to do with a Dutch Warmblood!
crazy.gif

What a mouthful though!

Vicki1986

Visit site
that would be a brilliant section !!

i often start my posts (or feel i should) with ' i know this is stupid, but' or i just dont post it at all !! i've been riding for years but know one knows everything after all, i am so relieved when someone else asks it first!

PaintboxEDT

Visit site
yes kwpn's are basically the newer sporty version of the gelderlander,bred to be more athletic and smaller framed but still having the high head carriage
smile.gif

peanut

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
OK, another one. What is PRE? I've seen it a lot, especially in youngstock ads, but am clueless!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it can refer to a Spanish breed of horse, but hopefully someone will come up with the correct answer
smile.gif

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
PRE means 'Pura Raza Espanola'- which is spanish for pure bred spanish horse. It is used in reference to andalusians (which is the english name for them as the spanish prefer to call them PRE as it reflects that they come from all over Spain, not just Andalucia.

Weezy

Visit site
An Andalusian can only be called PRE if he/she is registered with the appropriate authority- there are many, many Andalucian horses that are worthy of PRE status but because the dam or sire were not registered they are NOT allowed to be classified as PRE. Chico was Pura Raza but I could not sell him as a PRE as his dam was never registered in the stud book
smile.gif
The book is very, very stringent, so if a horse is being sold as a PRE, then ensure it has all of the correct paperwork!

hezza1

Visit site
Right then nothing to do with abbreviations but here is my question, i have bought a new leather girth it is elasticated at one end now should i have the elasticated end on the near side or the off
blush.gif
blush.gif

Weezy

Visit site
Ooooooh good one! You will find 3 camps on this

offside

nearside

don't use them as they are items of torture!

Personally offside for me as otherwise you can overtighten (if you always do up your girth on nearside).