What does 'price negotiable' mean to you?

dorito

Visit site
If a horse is advertised as 'price negotiable' how much within the stated price do you expect to pay?
Let's assume this horse is priced neither ridiculously cheap nor ridiculously expensive. Say somewhere between 3-4k.
Do you think of it in terms of a percentage of the asking price/within x hundreds of pounds of the asking price, or what?

just canvassing opinions, thank you.

HeresHoping

Visit site
Depending upon your ability to sell yourself as a fantastic home for the horse, a trade off between what you think the horse is worth when you try it and the asking price. If you think about it, you will be wondering 'How low can I go', and the seller will be thinking 'If they want this horse that much, they'll pay the asking price'. For a good all rounder that's sound, I would think that more than 25 - 30% less would be the top end of the seller saying s*d off.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
I would consider any stated price negotiable so the question doesn't really apply. How negotiable would vary on how difficult the horse was proving to sell and what, if any, equipment I wanted to buy or not buy with the horse. If the owner was not open for negotiation then I wouldn't insult them by pushing for it, but I would always ask.

niagaraduval

Visit site
I would consider any stated price negotiable so the question doesn't really apply. How negotiable would vary on how difficult the horse was proving to sell and what, if any, equipment I wanted to buy or not buy with the horse. If the owner was not open for negotiation then I wouldn't insult them by pushing for it, but I would always ask.

Agree.

Tern

Visit site
Depends on each horse. If they have not done as much as the advert states then I think the price should be able to go down a fair amount. My mare was 2,500 we reduced to 2,000 with tack and rugs which were originally only on separate negotiation. If i'm selling and the home is perfect then i'd also be happy to take off a fair bit.

Fides

Visit site
I know someone who took £14k for a horse marketed at £26k because the rider just 'clicked' and the home was fantastic.

Dot2dot

Visit site
I know someone who took £14k for a horse marketed at £26k because the rider just 'clicked' and the home was fantastic.

I sold a £1500 3 yr old for £500 because I'd already found the horse I wanted to buy and didn't know how much longer i'd be waiting for another potential buyer to come along... Livery for 2 horses in winter etc I would have held off a little if it was the summertime. It's all relative to your situation at the time and how cheeky the prospective buyer is. It took me a good few days to consider the offer though.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
I think it depends on a few things .
What you think the horse is worth and the home you can offer as well as how you click
How long the horse has been on the market and how quickly they want to sell.

I agree that most prices are negotiable even if it's not stated.
I know a family that had a pony advertised for £7500, but sold it for £3750. The pony was over priced to
start with, they didn't have much interest and needed to sell before the new school term started.

So it's always worth politely making an offer.

Kaylum

Visit site
What people want and what people are prepared to pay are two different things but I think everyone knows nobody pays full price for horse, house or car. It helps the buyer think they are getting a bargain. Always price to go lower and it's expected.

Maclinda

Visit site
Think it really does depend on how much the seller needs or wants to sell. Definately think any price is negotiable but if they've already stated that on advert, I'd say they need to sell. I went to view a horse at £6,000 and advert stated price definately not negotiable but turns out she had already bought a new horse and needed to sell. I really liked the horse, offered a decent price(not £6,000) and was turned down. The seller then phoned me up and said she had had a rethink and accepted!!!!!!!!

My current horse was for sale for £7,500 and breeder was adamant he would take no less than £6750. Again I walked away (not because I'm a bargain hunter but felt she was over priced as she had done nothing). By sheer fluck I ran into the dealer who for selling on behalf of the breeder, I know her well and told her I loved the horse and if he didn't get her sold I would happily pay £6000, the very next day the horse was mines.

A horse is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

JDH01

Visit site
I have normally paid the asking price and negotiated to have extras in the price eg. If tack or rugs fit and I don't have any that would. However my last horse was on the market for £3500, I really liked him but he needed a lot of work to get fit enough to do what I want ( he was very over weight) I negotiated to £2500 and was very pleased with both him and the price.

Kittykins

Visit site
My girl was being advertised at £5,000, I got her for £1,500. But only because I knew her owner was fed up with paying full livery fees and was going to sell her on to a dealer at £1,000, so I offered a bit extra. She asked whether I'd go to £1,750, I said no.

She was overpriced to begin with, but as the others have said - depends on what the circumstances are and how good a match the home you're offering is.

I think personally if it was a horse I didn't know, and the advert said 'negotiable, I'd probably offer 10% - 15% under the asking price but I'm not much of a haggler. Too British! Others might go lower.

Elsiecat

Visit site
I'd say around 30% as a rule of thumb.
So if the horse is priced at 8k, I wouldn't really offer below 5.5k if the horse was as advertised.
Likewise, if the horse was £1500 I wouldn't really go below £1000 with an offer..
You can be cheeky without being insulting. As others have said, it depends on how realistically the horse was advertised as a horse is only worth what someone is willing to pay.
I think you can read from a seller how much they'd be open to negotiations. I usually price anything I sell (not just horses) slightly higher than the price I would accept so that there is room for negotiation!

Cowpony

Visit site
I made an offer on a horse which was being sold by a dealer. She was advertised at £4000 but if she'd been advertised privately I wouldn't have paid more than £2000. I understand that a dealer needs to make a profit so I offered £3200, which I still felt was a lot for what she was. They had also told me quite a lot about how they ran their operation, so I knew they had absolutely no financial risk on the horse, which is partly what you pay the hefty prices for that dealers charge. They rejected my offer so I walked away. She just wasn't worth more.

alainax

Visit site
Price on application = You want too much ;)
Priced, = negotiable.
Ono = negotiable, but not loads
Price negotiable = hugely negotiable
No offers = don't try your luck.
Home more important than price = buyer must sell themselves, might get horse for buttons.

For a 3k horse on price negotiable, id offer 2k, expecting to be told 2.7, then agreeing somewhere around 2.3k -2.5:)

Last edited: