What does ring worm look like?

lensmith7

Visit site
Josie has come back from vets, she's doing really well.

However, she came up in little lumps while there. Like spots, with a yellow scab. If you pick the scab, it wet, like it's weeping.

Is this what ring worm sounds like? We are treating it as such, but was just wondering, as the nurese at horsepital weren't convinced.

It's on her neck and her bum mainly, worst is right at the top of her tail.

I've cenestan cream is good, is that right?
Thanks x

Taffster

Visit site
Doesnt sound like ring worm to me, but then it may come in different forms - I have seen ring worm which is like dry circular shpaed spots that generally spread quite rapidly

lensmith7

Visit site
It's not spreading either. Just neck, and bum/tail. I've covered each spot in cream just incase. It's all the bloomin trying to keep myself clean and decontaminated thats doing me in.

She's on box rest so is easily containable! x

natalia

Visit site
Ring worm starts by looking like hard raised lumps, they may or may not be sensitive to the touch, then the hair falls off and your left with a bald spot. If you treat it in the hard lump stage the hair will still fall out but in a slightly different way, it will go a bit soggy with treatment and then fall out in clumps. You must treat every other day with imaverol for about 2 weeks. You will then have a ringworm free but moth eaten horse. There are different types of ring worm, some make other shapes, not just rings on the horses body, we had one that suddenly went bad all down one side. I would suggest if your not sure next time vet gives a check up you get him to have a look, its a bastard for spreading round the yard at speed.

daisycrazy

Visit site
If she came up in them whilst at the vets then they really should have told you what they were and how to treat them. I would ask them for advice. No point treating it as ringworm if it isn't.

lensmith7

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
If she came up in them whilst at the vets then they really should have told you what they were and how to treat them. I would ask them for advice. No point treating it as ringworm if it isn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

They took swabs/scrapings but said they need to culture so wouldn't have results for 20 days.

They gave me the immaverol stuff and said it best to treat it as ring worm just incase?

daisycrazy

Visit site
Fair enough, if they really couldn't tell then sounds like you will just have to wait the 20 days. What a pain!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
ok sounds similar to my boys odd lumps and have also seen them similar on another mare recently. Mine was skin scrapped 3 years ago but nothing came up, vet couldn't really explain or identify initially treated with imaverol but no amzing improvement. They tend to localise round his tail/bum and neck and belly.

I will describe them for you and see if they sound the same to you!

They are areas of raised hair, not always visible to the eye when looking at the coat but easily felt by rubbing your hand over the coat. There is a yellow crusty scabby bit under the hair, the hair may or may not fall out when picked and the skin is wet and weepy underneath.

I found that hibiscrub didn't help clear them up totally and if I left them completely alone they spread.

They are worse in the warm weather (checked last night he has 4 at the moment!) and worse if he doesn't wear his fly rug so am assuming poss triggered by flies, he rubs, gets infection, not really sure as they are not always in rubable areas.

I have used various things in the past have found (hibi and imaverol initially then either Arthur wason heel cream (think sulphur based for mud fever) or more recently and I think is working better sudocream.

Apply cream once a day, rub in hard, don't pick scab off particularly. In a couple of days the crusty stuff has come off by itself and the skin will be clear on that patch.

I do keep on top of them now though as its quicker when they are smaller.

I can't post pics as uni won't allow photobucket even on my laptop!! but if you want to PM me an email address will try and get some piccies for you.

lensmith7

Visit site
That sounds JUST like it. Even down to the bit of cant see them but can easily feel them part. Thankyou. I'm pm you nhow as would be really intersted to see

Thankies
x x x

lensmith7

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't sound like ringworm. Not the sort I caught, anyway!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm so paranoid about catching it now. My hands are cracked from washing in Virkon E! If it is I bet I'll get it anyway, sods law!
blush.gif

x x x

ester

Visit site
Also assume you meant canesten cream? would treat if it is a fungal issue but the imaverol should be doing that, I would treat them with the imaverol and use something antiseptic ie like I use the sudocream to help deal with it if it is bacterial.

My lumps had my vets a bit puzzled but my initial concern was ringworm which can take many different forms but was negative and 3 years later no one or other horse on yard has it!

lensmith7

Visit site
Yes thats the cream. Just thought fungal. As you say though the Imaverol will be treaing it.

I'll grab some sudo cream and shove some of that on too. The ones on her head, 2 of them, are tiny but she's REALLY itchy with them poor love. this might help I guess
x

ester

Visit site
just rang a bell with me, the other mare I have seen recently has them spread big time all over her shoulder, vet is checking her out today but I told my friend who recently bought her that they were very similar to frank's, not sure she believed me then she saw his last night!

Will try get some piccies tonight for you if he has any at the mo. I think it is kind of connected to the heat (if he is over rugged in winter he can get heat bumps which turn into something similar if I let them) and is worse in summer but as I say tends to be a bit better poss with his fly rug on.

ester

Visit site
sometimes they are very very itchy, sometimes they don't seem to be, he has one on his neck at the mo which is very itchy!

lensmith7

Visit site
Hmm, def sound like we could have something similar.

also with the incubation period, none of the others at the yard have it, and Josie was mixing with them before she became lame.

In my mind, I thought it would have spread to at least one of the others on the yard?

x

Tnavas

Visit site
Sounds a bit like a fungal infection - possibly rain scald. For a quick remedy wash horse all over with Nizeral. You can get it from a chemist, it's a human antidandruff shampoo that contains Ketaconisol - kills fungus really fast. Dilute in warm water and lather up working it well into the root of the hair. Scrape and leave to dry.

Chumsmum

Visit site
Sounds something like my pony had a couple of years ago, yellow scab that weeps when picked and the hair comes off - I think they are related to heat / shedding winter coat. They didn't bother him at all and I think I put sudocream on them but they seemed to clear up quickly on their own.

Perhaps she was too warm / over rugged at vets?

lensmith7

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Sounds something like my pony had a couple of years ago, yellow scab that weeps when picked and the hair comes off - I think they are related to heat / shedding winter coat.

Perhaps she was too warm / over rugged at vets?

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds like it. I's also in the only patches she has her winter coat left??

She only had her fleece with her, but those stables are like ovens, they absorb the heat from the daytime and hold it through the night.

They're more on the side under her mane, which suggested heat to me too??

tasel

Visit site
Mine had ringworm last year... sounded a bit like that. BUT it didn't take the vets 20 days to diagnose!!! More like 24 hrs - I think she was actually seen in the morning, and I was actually told in the afternoon...