What does this bit do?!

Klix

Visit site
A friend and I were clearing out the her tack room earlier and we stumbled across this bit - Which neither of us know what an earth it does?! I'm sure the picture if the right way round, but what does it help/prevent the horse from doing? The lozenge in the middle is very thick (the picture doesn't do much justice - Also sorry I it is huge!!)
attachment.php

Klix

Visit site
Not one I know but I rather like it. Bet there are horses out there that would suit to a 't'
What about it do you like? I understand the full cheek, however I don't understand what the middle is supposed to achieve/encourage/deter?

Ladyinred

Visit site
I imagine the slightly raised middle could be for a horse that tries to put his tongue over the bit but has too low a palate for a proper port. The action would be very mild, even milder than a french link, as the ported area is so wide. No nutcracker action or pinches with that bit.

Klix

Visit site
Oh right very interesting, thanks everyone with all of the replies so far!! I may be inclined to try this at a later stage with my girls jumping (could it potentially help? she is in a loose ring snaffle at the moment and would like to stay that way however she does try to get her tongue over the bit after a fence and ****** off!! I was considering a French link next, but maybe this could be a better option?)

Ladyinred

Visit site
Oh right very interesting, thanks everyone with all of the replies so far!! I may be inclined to try this at a later stage with my girls jumping (could it potentially help? she is in a loose ring snaffle at the moment and would like to stay that way however she does try to get her tongue over the bit after a fence and ****** off!! I was considering a French link next, but maybe this could be a better option?)

Much as I love french links even I have to admit that they make it easy for a horse that gets his/her tongue over the bit. One of mine would have his tongue over before I could do up the throat lash!! We reorted to bitless with him but I would happily have tried this one.

Aleka81

Visit site
It's a ported full cheek snaffle. You can get different thickness of port. This one is the same as I use one all the time on my TB. He much prefers this to his French link!
But for jumping I'm afraid it's just not enough for mine.

Some horses love them others loathe them. Same as most bits :)

Klix

Visit site
Much as I love french links even I have to admit that they make it easy for a horse that gets his/her tongue over the bit. One of mine would have his tongue over before I could do up the throat lash!! We reorted to bitless with him but I would happily have tried this one.

I may keep hold of it and try if we do a bit more jumping then! I have tried her bitless once, partially for a laugh and to see how she would react... Never again, haha! I think it was fairly conclusive that she didn't like nose/poll pressure!

Klix

Visit site
It's a ported full cheek snaffle. You can get different thickness of port. This one is the same as I use one all the time on my TB. He much prefers this to his French link!
But for jumping I'm afraid it's just not enough for mine.

Some horses love them others loathe them. Same as most bits :)

Again thank you for your help and advise!! She's not particularly strong with the jumping, it would just be nice to have something with a little more strength so that I can get her attention but also forgiving.. So I may have a little play with it when we introduce a bit more jumping to her routine.

saddlesore

Visit site
As above, its ha half moon. Its a good option if your horse prefers a jointed bit but also needs tongue room. A mild bit that most horses readily accept. However it is not designed to stop the tongue going over the bit, although reducing the pressure might reduce the need for your horse to try.

Alyth

Visit site
IMO a half moon is a curved bar - like a half moon!! This looks a nice kind bit as one poster said, the middle link prevents the nutcracker action hitting the roof of the mouth and the curve gives the tongue a bit more space.

ozpoz

Visit site
I'd also call a curved straight bar a half moon!
This is a double jointed fulmer snaffle,imo. and the curved middle joint should indeed give the tongue more space.

Capriole

Visit site
IMO a half moon is a curved bar - like a half moon!! This looks a nice kind bit as one poster said, the middle link prevents the nutcracker action hitting the roof of the mouth and the curve gives the tongue a bit more space.

I'd also call a curved straight bar a half moon!
This is a double jointed fulmer snaffle,imo. and the curved middle joint should indeed give the tongue more space.

I'd call that a mullen mouth. Like this?

http://www.aussiesaddlery.com.au/mullen-mouth-eggbutt-bit/

Last edited:

TheMule

Visit site
I have one of these and like it but what you have to watch is the joints for the links are quite close to the corners of the mouth so when it pulls through a bit they can rub