What does this chain do?

The Trooper

Visit site
Just browsing HH articles at work and saw this photo of a police horse, I don't know what the chain that runs from the end of his reins to the shoulder area is or does. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Lancashire-Constabularies-CATON-doing-fire-training3-copy.jpg

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
I think it's a riot chain in case the officer has his reins grabbed... So he can still circle the horse quickly.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
When it is fitted bit to saddle (first post) it is a back up chain in case the reins are cut.

When fitted to the backstop (between the noseband and throat lash) it is usually for display only, on parade. We actually stopped that (for display) as it is fitted differently with them threaded through, and there was a risk of the horse getting caught up and it tightening. I believe it happend to a military horse on parade and it caused it to go over backwards, around 1998. We just used a white rope.

The Trooper

Visit site
When it is fitted bit to saddle (first post) it is a back up chain in case the reins are cut.

When fitted to the backstop (between the noseband and throat lash) it is usually for display only, on parade. We actually stopped that (for display) as it is fitted differently with them threaded through, and there was a risk of the horse getting caught up and it tightening. I believe it happend to a military horse on parade and it caused it to go over backwards, around 1998. We just used a white rope.

Thank you Red! I thought we had a mounted/ex mounted officer on here, I would love to know more about the mounted police, there isn't enough documentaries etc on them I don't think. Big brave beasties

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Thank you Red! I thought we had a mounted/ex mounted officer on here, I would love to know more about the mounted police, there isn't enough documentaries etc on them I don't think. Big brave beasties

There was a documentary on Sky, called Mounted Branch. It was from about 10 years ago now, but still comes round now and again. I notice it because I was on it! It was about Manchester, and I was a visiting assessor when the basic course was assessed. A full day of several cameras in my face. Nice to look back on now though, I have been retired 5 years :oops: