What does your dog do

Visit site
when you are home. Do they just sleep or are they on the go. My spaniel gets onto her bed when Im sitting down doing something,( like spending hours on the computer) but gets up as soon as I move. She only gets 2 half hour walks a day usually mainly because thats about all I can manage at a time , which means 23 hours basically sleeping I suppose. I marvel at how they can shut their brains off to sleep for hours like that , I have trouble getting 5 hours in of a night !

meleeka

Visit site
Mostly sleeping. One of mine keeps one eye half open for if I move, then she’s up. The other just thinks she’s a cat and sleeps soundly.

If they haven’t had much exercise the JRT likes to stand in the garden and bark in the evenings. Either that or she sits at my feet demanding to be stroked. The other is usually just chilling out in her bed.

fiwen30

Visit site
Mostly napping, or relaxing on his bed or the rug in front of it. He’ll bring us toys to play with for a while, and then take them back to his bed to chew on when he’s done with sharing.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Following OH as if her life depends on it. Snoozing whilst he works and then eyes on him as soon as he makes to move.

She is good though, her days can completely vary especially since I’ve been pregnant.

her most active days will be down the yard with me twice a day, maybe a run around an empty field. Then a 45 min walk with OH at lunch (maybe 2km?) then 5-10km in the evening. Weekend days she can easily do 20km.

Or a day where OH is away and I’ve had morning sickness or more recently where I haven’t been able to move more than 10m without almost fainting she has snoozed all day with just free rein of the garden and temperament wise been exactly the same as on her more active days.

Karran

Visit site
If I am working in my WFH office, Mrs Collie will be sleeping in the hall outside, keeping an eye on me. Mrs Spaniel is downstairs on the sofa. Both have just come to get me as its time for a lunch walk. They will then go back to their spots until around 4, when its time to go out to classes/ horses/decent walk.
I orginally planned to move the laptop to the sofa so I can watch the olympics but Mrs Spaniel assumed that meant I wasn't working and she could manoeuvre the laptop out the way so she could be on my lap.
If its the weekend and i'm not working, she will be on my lap/as close as possible and Mrs Collie next to me, but often our weekends are rammed with activities so none of us are still for long!

planete

Visit site
Three of them will just sleep and eat, the fourth one will leap up at the slightest move from OH and be ready for another two hour walk. He also needs to have a tug of war, a retrieving game or any brain game at least once a day to stay sane. I literally had to tie him down to a sofa leg in the evenings when he was a teenager to stop him bouncing off the walls. He is now ten, well trained, walked and entertained but always ready for more. In another world, he would have been an invaluable and regular provider of wild game to the table.

TGM

Visit site
Mine is a whippet and sleeps most of the day. She sleeps overnight in the kitchen - when husband gets up at 5.45am he lets her upstairs into our bed where she goes back to sleep for a while. Then when I get up she moves to the sofa where she demands a blanket is placed over her, then I go and do the horses. After that I take her for a walk and then sometimes she will play with her squeaky toys for a few minutes. Then she will go back to the sofa to sleep, or if the weather is nice she will sleep on her bed on the patio. Sometimes if I am gardening she will follow me around a bit to see what I'm doing, or run to the gate if she hears another dog go by. But mostly she sleeps. She usually has another short walk in the evening and then goes back to the sofa. Then about 9pm she puts herself in her crate for her overnight sleep.

She does like to be with me, but she is not horrendously clingy. If I'm in the garden or go upstairs she will wait a bit and then eventually move to my new location. She has a variety of beds - crate in the kitchen, dog bed next to it, dog bed in front of the fire, blanket on the sofa, dog bed in the office, dog bed on the patio, plus she likes to sneak on the bed during the day if given the chance.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Sleeping, following me round, ‘helping’ to feed the fish (Bear helps by sticking his face in the fish food). Often there’s a carousel for cuddles. They like to spend time in the garden just wandering. The neighbour likes to have them for a couple of hours every now and then.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
One of ours will happily sleep all day, preferably under a blanket. Will get up, eat and then go back to bed. It's a tough life.
The other will sleep - often in a basket next to where I'm working - but as soon as there is something interesting going on, she wants to be in on it. She's on constant alert to make sure nobody goes off to the yard without her (it's her favourite place).

Chiffy

Visit site
I have three energetic retrievers, they get two good walks a day, they do chill and lie about but are always on their feet if I move or go outside to garden. They also play together. They did do more daytime sleeping when it was hot.
My daughter has an old lurcher, she potters about but does sleep for hours.

SashaBabe

Visit site
Sasha is 11 years old now, so spends most of the day sleeping. However, if I go into the kitchen, she is up in a flash, just in case I open the fridge and there's a chance she will get a slice of ham.

Moobli

Visit site
When we aren’t on the go outdoors they tend to just snooze. My dog likes to be wherever I am in the house, while my bitch prefers to be in the garden. They chill (mostly) until I’m ready for off again. They will play and entertain each other, which is nice.

Visit site
Unicorn, a curtain twitching dog , love it !

Sleeping seems to be the most popular pastime then. Makes me feel better when Im slumped in front of the telly. mine is asleep now having had walk, breakfast and small drink of milk . All have to be delivered in a certain order at a certain time., shes a real creature of routine. Today is a special day as she gets to to meet her chicken pal, Hennibal Lector

Last edited:

SOS

Visit site
Sleep. I have whippets… they are very lazy and like to conserve all energy for potential sprinting. They don’t get up when I move or even leave the house unless I call them, they don’t have a set routine so don’t expect much.