What does your farrier charge for a trim?

TelH

Visit site
Mine has just gone up this month to £22. It used to be £20 and this is the first time he's put his price up in over 7 years that he's been doing my ponies. He does me 6 trims and my other pony who has front shoes on, it's £50 for him.

Shadowdancing

Visit site
£20. Does a good job.

Many other barefoot owners on the yard get a trimmer who charges £35 a time. I'm quite happy with my trim and charge thanks. Feet look good horse is happy...

Enfys

Visit site
Whatever he feels like, sometimes $10, sometimes $15, sometimes he just throws them in free, last time it was the use of the log splitter for the day :) I love my farrier :)
It does help that he is a family friend, lives 5 minutes away and I often take the horses to his place, I do pay for shoeing though but even then I suspect I get mates rates.

Last edited:

pansymouse

Visit site
I pay £30 since he's started having to charge VAT. However I am at the edge of his patch and it's only one horse so I think it's fair. I only have her done every eight weeks and it's more of a foot health check - she rarely needs more than a bit of a rasp. My farrier is excellent and I'm happy to pay him what appears rate at the top end of the scale.

Magicmadge

Visit site
Mines £20 has been for 9 years!! He may charge others more I'm not sure, but he comes here for 7 so worth his trip. He's Lovely with them makes a fuss of shets I've taken in in a bad way and sorted them, far better than my previous one who was moody and had little patience he's £25 now .

Nudibranch

Visit site
A bit galling that I seem to have the most expensive farrier on the forum! That said, round here there's a real shortage of good farriers. He's the only one who doesn't leave toes far too long, or whack my now pssm suspect with the rasp in a temper...even then I'm lucky in having a fab vet who chucks in free x rays and has tactful conversations about foot balance with him, as my big lad does grow unusual feet.

Casey76

Visit site
A bit galling that I seem to have the most expensive farrier on the forum! That said, round here there's a real shortage of good farriers. He's the only one who doesn't leave toes far too long, or whack my now pssm suspect with the rasp in a temper...even then I'm lucky in having a fab vet who chucks in free x rays and has tactful conversations about foot balance with him, as my big lad does grow unusual feet.

You're OK, I pay 60CHF/50Eur (£48) per horse for a trim

Auslander

Visit site
£20 here which I find rather expensive for a miniature horse that basically needs a nail file.

I tried to negotiate a 50% discount on Teds trimming cost, on the basis that his feet were at least 50% smaller. My farrier said "Yep - absolutely fine with that, but it'll still be £20 once I've applied the "kneeling down" tax!"

13178923_10154377816850730_6420310886741035426_n.jpg

chaps89

Visit site
£40 for a trim when I had a Welsh a staying with me over summer. Gulped a bit at that one I have to say! (Not sure why I expected it to be less, it's about £75 for fronts and hind trim or £110 for a full set of 4 shoes so not cheap normally)
Love that photo Audlander!

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
£50 for my trimmer, he's only been once (last July) and he didn't even unpack his rasp :D

I need him out again to check his feet as something is changing which I think is just wet ground and lack of roadwork but would be good to have another opinion!

Think our farrier charges 20 for a pony trim, but similar to the kneeling tax above, some of it is a bribe to go near the mule :D

Clare85

Visit site
Mine charges £25 per trim. The going rate around here (West Sussex) seems to be £20 but I'm happy to pay my farrier's slightly more expensive prices due to the fact that he's very good as well as extremely reliable and organised! :)