What does your horse cost you a month ?

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Hmmm

I pay on average £50 per month for K if including insurance.

Ive bought one large round hay bale this winter and hardly made a dent in it. I have only bought one bag of feed since he came, I had some feed vouchers I won from a magazine comp and still have some left :) He gets a farrier trim averages a tenner a month. his supps are probably the most costly thing in all honesty and I buy the big tubs on sale which last months so averaging it out over the months.

Also only bought one large round straw bale this year and again hardly made a dent in it, will be lucky If I use that bale before end of Feb, same with hay.

Hes on 4 acres himself plenty of grazing, not supping with hay.

burtondog

www.michellehudson.co.uk
I used to keep my horse on full livery in London which cost £125 pw. Then on top of this I had to pay shoeing, wormers, jabs, insurance, BHS membership, supplements, lessons, etc. I guess the whole lot totalled £650-£700 pcm.

Now I live in the countryside I pay £30 pw DIY which includes hay/haylage. On top of this I pay the yard to either turn out or bring in plus the occassional muck out, roughly £10-£15 pw. Feed = £15 pw. Then there's the just the usual shoeing, wormers, jabs, insurance, BHS membership, supplements, lessons etc. So total now £400 pcm - still expensive but much more manageable.

I was surprised to find that the farrier costs more in the countryside than it did in the city.

The above doesn't include any extra vets fees, petrol, tack & rugs, and all the other 'must have' items which could easily another £50+ to the above figures.

What was I thinking buying a horse ? I could have some seriously good holidays instead !!!

windand rain

Visit site
Averaged over the year about 25 per week to include feed, vaccinations, worming, feet trims, livery, shows and petrol to go as they are 10 miles away

dressedkez

Visit site
Where to start. Cost per horse (I have 3, happy hackers, with a bit of hunting / SJ / XC et al)
Have them at home - so stable / turn-out £0 (starting well.....)
Shavings circa 2 bales per week - £10 X 4.5 say £50
Shoeing - done about every 5 weeks - £70, so say £60
Feed - MVF Cool or conditioning + Alfa A, plus supermarket own brand veg oil - say £25
Hay - Top quality, husband makes it - cost to me £0
Pocket money for groom (son) to help with mucking out at al £40
Worming / Vacs / Vets - Say £10 per month
Rugs / Tack - cleaning of, repairs, new - say £10 per month
Hunting Cap / show entires - say £20 per month
Diesel / running costs of transport (ins / tax / plating) - say £10 per month
Clipping (blade sharpening / service of clippers) say £2 per month
£222 per horse X 3 £666 per month - less £80 cos I only pay the groom the one off of £10 per month so £606 - blimey, far more than I thought. Not included the interest on the loan I took out to buy the lorry, and possibly the loan I am going to have to take out on the third horse, if I decide to buy him after my extended trial.......scarey, and I don't have to pay for livery costs or hay - how do you all do it? Hope none of you are on benefits!!! LOL xx

rachi20x

Visit site
DIY livery with grazing, stabling and sandschool-- £125pcm (This is actually covered by my sister who is my sharer so I am lucky there!)
Feed--- £11.60 4-6 weeks (scats own chaff and nuts! But he loves them!)
Farrier-- £35 every 6 weeks (fronts and trim)
Insurance-- £25pcm (KBIS)
Bedding-- I use shavings and I can't remember for the life of me how much I paid but it's bought in bulk but £6 a bale sounds familiar perhaps? I could be wrong. I usually manage a bale a week, maybe every 5 days, he's in at night.
Hay-- £4 a bale bought in bulk paid 224 for last lot, my fellow livery reckons it will last us till the end of Feb. Not sure how much I really use-- I just use it haha!
£15 every other week for schooling but not having any at the mo.

Not including vaccs and worming-- one of those things I just arrange and pay for when needed.

I am on minimum wage and have a passion for fashion so I try to keep things simple where I can!

MrsElle

Visit site
I'm currently lucky enough to have four of mine here where I work rent free :) Two are away on loan.

So, no livery fees.

All are un-shod, costs £10 per trim perhaps every 12 weeks. They have very good feet and we rasp them ourselves between visits.

With vacs, worming, trims etc, I reckon it costs me around £30 a month to keep the four of them.

They have heaps of grazing, and don't anticipate having to feed any hay (they don't get hard feed), but if I do that will go up to perhaps an average of £40 a month.

I used to rent some land before we moved here, and that cost me £100 a month, so they have never really cost me any more than £140 a month to keep the lot of them.

popeyesno1fan

Visit site
I'm not going to add it all up cos it will scare me too much :eek: :eek: My ponies are at home so my rent covers stables, grazing and my house. But I wish I could get a farrier who did trims for £10 :eek: My farrier bill is £160 every 6 weeks. That's for 6 trims and one set of fronts with trim behind.

Me too, think I'm going to get a fright when I add it up. x
€180 farrier every 6 weeks, hard feed is €73 a month, €20 per round bale, once a fortnighht, €41 for 3 worm doses, €40 a week for lessons for the kiddies, and I'm joing the riding club in jan so I can add another €20 for lessons, diesel for pulling the box for regular stuff is about €30 a week, double if we go to a show. €20 entries when we go to a show.....Aghhhhhh
Thankfully, my rent also covers stables and land but god, i dont want to add all that up. xx

madeleine1

Visit site
currently she cost me this year:
100 for a new rug for winter, first one in 3 years.
60 for shoes, once ever 8 weeks
hay and shavings 200 ish
some hard feed, about 60 for the winter
so with vacinations etc and insurance and comps

1250 pounds for the whole year this year

googol

Visit site
I budget £300 per month and it normally takes it!
172 for livery, hayledge included
Shoes at 45 per set every other month
Micronised linseed shared with sister so not expensive
Bag of hardfeed at £8
Hifi light again shared with sister and lasts for ages so minimal
Shavings at £7 per bag, 2bags per week in winter- so save in summer when living out

When I don't have to have him shod, so every other month, I wud buy wormer/extra shavings/ back done etc
Don't like OH to think he could cost me less than 300 haha!

LadyLuck1977

Visit site
Mine is on 5 day livery so that comesto £345
Plus £20 hay
Plus £25 Haylage
Plus £40 bedding
Plus £45 farrier fronts only
Plus £32 insurance
Plus £100 on lessons
Plus £5 hardfeed
plus £5 brewers yeast
Oh crap I knew I shouldnt have added it up thats £617 a month just for the basics

DJ

Visit site
Far too much!!!!

Ha ha ha ha ha ha :D .... That about sums it up perfectly doesn`t it lol !!

I do wonder what i`d spend my money on if it didn`t go on the horses .... but i couldn`t be with out them, they`re worth every penny, *honest* :rolleyes: she says, as she`s soaked to the skin, covered in mud, after spending her day off dragging hay across the fields and digging out drainage ditches to try and give the water somewhere to go .. **sigh** ... Holiday somewhere warm and dry anyone ?

naid pollyanna

Visit site
gosh mines expensive. £121 at the least per week...sometimes verging £150-160 if we have a competition.

but. she is on full livery with all feed etc included and then my lessons and competition fees. hahah too much money!!

MileAMinute

Visit site
£84 for DIY livery
£25 for hay
£18 for feed
£7 for trim (spread over two months)
£30 insurance
£20 on carrots for his dodecahedron ball.

So....£184. Not bad.

In summer he has no feed, hay or ball so that reduces costs dramatically, but this year I'll be having lessons instead now he's being re-backed and going to the odd show :)

Nudibranch

Visit site
Hard to say because there are always random unplanned purchases. For example I just bought a new saddle. But roughly, for two horses;

£80/month to rent the two fields and barn next to us
£100/winter for hay (we have a lot of grass).
£10/month on average for balancer/magnesium, etc
Mostly self trimming so feet go under "random"
£50/month savings account instead of insurance
£35 each for jabs plus £30 call out (annual)

I think that's probably it, so £1880 a year is £156 a month. That's more than I thought actually! I reckon you can easily add on another £500 a year for random purchases.

barneyandem

Visit site
Ugh... i'm not sure if this post has made me feel better or worse about how much I spend - my palms have started to sweat and I think i've been in denial for the 17 years I have had him.. clearly!! so jealous of everyone that pays such reasonable livery! If I exclude bits and bobs like rugs etc, his basic day to day cost (livery, feed, supplement, farrier) its £550-£600 a month *voms* (although £300 in summer). But he is my best friend and I would be a miserable person without him.

Polos Mum

Visit site
As long as you can afford it without going into debt and you enjoy your horse/s does it matter? Before I moved here I was on a livery yard where a lady kept 2, she lived in central London and came to ride once a week at the weekend, most but not all weekends. Both were on full livery (inc. exercise) one was semi retired with cushings but had to be walked out daily, special shoes at £120 a set etc. I never saw her bill but given the yard rates and the services she needed it must have been £1,200 a month for the two, plus farrier plus tack etc (this was 5 years ago now) so each ride cost her about £400 for the 45 min hack she enjoyed on a Sunday afternoon.
I'm sure she could have had some amazing schoolmaster lessons for that but not what she chose to do with it - it made her happy and that's all that's important.

Racergirl

Visit site
Ive just added mine up because I was curious to see how much cheaper it was to have her on DIY than not....

that was a hefty kick up the bum - worked out at around £300 a month. Ive been offered broodmare livery fairly locally for £35 a week, so all Id need to pay on top is insurance and feet (and vets bills obviously!) and I really dont see that I can afford to NOT move her !!!!

Moomin1

Visit site
£84 livery, plus an extra £10 every two months average for muckheap removal
£60 shoes every 6-8 weeks
£35 feed
£30 hay
£28 carrots for decahedron ball
Around 2 bales of shavings a week at about £8 per bale so about £60-£70 pcm

So basics come to around £260-280 a month, plus any little extras she may need.

I love her so much she is worth every penny! :)

Last edited:

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Mine costs me £320 a month on average and I pay no livery, hay or straw!
I also do not pay for the landrover so no tax or MOT to be taken into account.
I pay no vet stuff apart from vaccinations.
I do not pay for the horse to affiliate as his owner pays for that.
I do not include insurance in my calculations which is £45 a month.

The above saves me about £2370 a year otherwise I would be spending about £7k a year on the horse rather than the £4k I currently spend.

Mine breaks down as:
23% on competitions
18% on fuel
27% on basics such as feed, chiro, shoes, saddler etc
22% on lessons
10% on Equipment.

I record everything I spend on the horse and list what he does each day on a spreadsheet! Horse currently competes at BE100 level and Newcomers Sjing.

Last edited:

RainbowDash

Visit site
Hi all,

For 14hh Pony:

£230.00 per month full livery - exercising if needed, all feed inc - summer grazing and perm use of large stable - for me: kettle, fridge, tack room, loo, two schools, company, 600 acres of country park + , local comps.

Extras: Shoes £30.00 fronts every 6 to 8 weeks, worming £15.00 every 3/4 months plus insurances.

:D

Highlands

Visit site
Own land but paying for extra grazing o £15 a horse for a month.

Hay £4 a bale, Have used 2 a day for a while

Shoes, £60 every 6 weeks
Feed, 3 big bins @ 160 quid ( two bins at a time)

Danilon for old pony, £40 a box

Linseed £20 for bucket, seaweed for batives , £30 a year, balancer,£60 a year

Ready mash extra,£12 a bag. Two bags a month

Then vac, workers etc.....

But no exotic hols, don't smoke, drink, party to excess......

Won my TGCA membership....

£25 for exercising mine in week
£30 fr shared weekly lesson although that been off due to illness