What does your horse do to tell you he/she loves you?

Cerries

Visit site
Hey everyone!

So tell me....what does your horse do to tell you he/she loves you?

What are his/her little quirks that let you know that you're appreciated, and respected?

I just got my Billy on Wednesday, and already he's doing little things that make me go all fuzzy inside (which I totally wasn't expecting, because our Sec A was a little git for months lol!).

Can't wait to read your responses!

C xo

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I love my boy dearly, sadly I can't say he does anything to tell me he loves me!

He lets me know he feels confident with me when he lets me sit with him when he is laid down. He lets me know he pays attention to me when I ride with no bridle. He lets me know he trusts me when I climb aboard with a guitar and strum away, bareback in a halter. He lets me know he is tolerant of me a whole load of times.

He also lets me know when he is cross with me, irritated with me, etc.

A whole bunch of feeling he has, but sadly I see no evidence that he loves me.

ETA - Before you think I am a grumpy purist, OH's horse showed a loving side. He just was pleased to see me every day, and loved to just hang out.

Edited again.... OH says my horse does show it, when we are out in the lorry, if I leave he stares after me, even if OH is with him. Whenever I come back and he hears or sees me he does welcome me with a whinny!

I think Jay is different to many horses anyway, he is quite defensive and before he came to me was well known as a very naughty horse who had failed to improve even with very professional training. I always get the feeling that he tolerates me more than others rather than that he loves me.

Last edited:

Cerries

Visit site
I love my boy dearly, sadly I can't say he does anything to tell me he loves me!

He lets me know he feels confident with me when he lets me sit with him when he is laid down. He lets me know he pays attention to me when I ride with no bridle. He lets me know he trusts me when I climb aboard with a guitar and strum away, bareback in a halter. He lets me know he is tolerant of me a whole load of times.

He also lets me know when he is cross with me, irritated with me, etc.

A whole bunch of feeling he has, but sadly I see no evidence that he loves me.

Maybe all those things put together ARE the way he tells you lol?? ;) :p

Cerries

Visit site
Awww Jay sounds amazing!

It sounds to me like you guys have a very special bond. Even more so if he was a 'difficult' horse before you had him! <3

Red-1

Visit site
Maybe all those things put together ARE the way he tells you lol?? ;) :p

Ha Ha, I am sorry, I edited after you quoted me. My horse Jay came as a very shut down horse, who exploded into bad behaviour (usually rearing, but could also spin and bazz off) frequently. He was so shut down that most of the time he was abnormally quiet. I did all the silly stuff as a key to be able to start a dialogue with stuff that he had no 'bad history' with (I presumed that no one had ever played a guitar with him!).

He has come further than anyone thought he would, but there is still a part of him that is fenced off, and I suspect will never be unlocked. We truly have a bond, but IMO when a horse has been so shut down it may not be recoverable 100%.

Cerries

Visit site
Ha Ha, I am sorry, I edited after you quoted me. My horse Jay came as a very shut down horse, who exploded into bad behaviour (usually rearing, but could also spin and bazz off) frequently. He was so shut down that most of the time he was abnormally quiet. I did all the silly stuff as a key to be able to start a dialogue with stuff that he had no 'bad history' with (I presumed that no one had ever played a guitar with him!).

He has come further than anyone thought he would, but there is still a part of him that is fenced off, and I suspect will never be unlocked. We truly have a bond, but IMO when a horse has been so shut down it may not be recoverable 100%.

I think the fact that he trusts you enough to come as far as he has is beautiful. What a beautiful story! <3

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Well, I am a grumpy purist and horses do not "love" you. They can trust, be comfortable with, respect, look forward to food, obey and be a willing partner, but love? No.

Cerries

Visit site
Well, I am a grumpy purist and horses do not "love" you. They can trust, be comfortable with, respect, look forward to food, obey and be a willing partner, but love? No.

Wow, ok!

Well...in my eyes, those things are all a form of love. I guess it's a case of individual interpretation :)

Goldenstar

Visit site
Horses don't love people .
They can trust you and be happy in their environment ( which you provide ) they can accept you to be a leader when they work .
They do recognise people as individuals and behave accordingly but they they don't love them in a way humans understand the word.

Cerries

Visit site
Horses don't love people .
They can trust you and be happy in their environment ( which you provide ) they can accept you to be a leader when they work .
They do recognise people as individuals and behave accordingly but they they don't love them in a way humans understand the word.

Thank you Goldenstar!

As I just posted above - that's what I meant :) In what way do they show their appreciation of you in their own way :)

Red-1

Visit site
Wow, ok!

Well...in my eyes, those things are all a form of love. I guess it's a case of individual interpretation :)

I do think that love has many different levels. On a scientific level I am not even sure it can be defined (but if a scientist comes along and shows me different then I am happy to stand corrected). To me, it means different things to different people. If you think of your 'first love' it was probably intense, but you probably don't 'love' them anymore.

I love chocolate. That is different to the love I have for my husband. Different to the love for my dog. Different to my love of a warm sunny day with birdsong. All make me feel good.

To my first post, being with Charlie Horse (was mine then went to be OH's first horse) he felt good when in our presence. He wanted to be with us. To me that could be regarded as love.

Jay man, he is all of the things I said, and OH tells me that when in his lorry at an event he looks for me and whinnys to me when I return, and TBH he likes it when we come home, at bringing in tme he will stare at the house. But, honestly, I believe at home he really would prefer I just fetch him in, feed him and then go away again. I do not define that as love! I believe it is cupboard love!

Finlib

Visit site
agreed I think we are placing a human emotion on them.They can choose to be with us run over to greet us as they would with a favoured horse companion but is this 'love' .

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
My dogs love me, of that there can be no doubt (one more than the other; she's an opportunist :), but horses are not wired the same way.

Cerries

Visit site
My dogs love me, of that there can be no doubt (one more than the other; she's an opportunist :), but horses are not wired the same way.

Hehe I love this!

I think I might have worded my initial post in an ambiguous way :) I know that horses don't 'love' in the emotional way that we understand it - but I'm curious to know in which ways a horse will show their appreciation for you (even if it is on a leadership level).

:)

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Hehe I love this!

I think I might have worded my initial post in an ambiguous way :) I know that horses don't 'love' in the emotional way that we understand it - but I'm curious to know in which ways a horse will show their appreciation for you (even if it is on a leadership level).

:)

By doing what I ask of them? That's all I ask and expect. I don't have horses as pets; that's the dogs' job.

respectedpony driver

Visit site
Well from going to areally wild moorland pony who you couldn't even look at over the stable door to apony that will follow me and hold her lips up to be kissed,to trust me not to hurt her when I brush her and pick her feet out,she also likes to hang about and often comes for tea and ginger biscuits on the side lawn when I sit on my swing seat.She is a dear little soul and my pet.

Bernster

Visit site
Hmm, another here that tends to think you can get some affection but wouldn't call it love. Had two geldings who were both pretty aloof. F tells me when he wants food (all the time) and a scratch (most of the time), that's about it. My mare is more affectionate and expressive though, first 'cuddly' horse I've had. Think I might be a slight disappointment as I'm not v cuddly myself haha.

I have a cat too and the affection she shows for me is much more marked, but I suppose she lives with me so has more opportunity.

I always like it when horses do that wuffley thing, but mine never have!

Cerries

Visit site
Well from going to areally wild moorland pony who you couldn't even look at over the stable door to apony that will follow me and hold her lips up to be kissed,to trust me not to hurt her when I brush her and pick her feet out,she also likes to hang about and often comes for tea and ginger biscuits on the side lawn when I sit on my swing seat.She is a dear little soul and my pet.

Oh my goodness! My two have come to me very much used to being around people, and being groomed etc. But to have a pony who makes such a transition from uncertainty to trust is amazing :)

respectedpony driver

Visit site
Oh my goodness! My two have come to me very much used to being around people, and being groomed etc. But to have a pony who makes such a transition from uncertainty to trust is amazing :)

I spent a lot of time just being with her,she hated it at first but came around after awhile.She is a funny little thing and we make each other smile everyday. Boy was she wild,she could come at you waving both front legs and then turn in a blink to give you both barrels.she tried to climb out of her stable and kick her way through the window,we had to barricade her in,she was so scared.

sjb10

Visit site
Mine shows her love for me by always eating the food I provide for her and poohing on the shavings I leave in her stable. :)

Lol, yes mine is particularly dedicatedin this respect, and always asks for more opportunities to show how much he appreciates the food I bring him :)
He does also like to present his bum for a good scratch, but is often disappointed.

Our two used to be on working livery on a riding school, and did seem to appreciate our arrival - with hindsight it was probably due to the treats wemight bring, and may well havebeen bestowed onothers who regularly fed them. The yard manager was alwasy welcomed loudly inthe morning if pony had been kept in for any reason.

tristar

Visit site
me late mare would pick me up if i put my arms round her neck, she had a very strong neck! and never let me fall off in 20 years.

the grey stallion will wrap his neck around me when i am grooming him and holds me into his shoulder with my head in his arms, so he is hugging me

but very often when doing jobs they come and stand by me for company

Overread

www.flickr.com
Love, hate, anger, frustration, enjoyment, dedication.

Emotions vary both at the species level but also at the individual level; and the variation can be quite significant in both cases. In addition there is also perception of the observer to consider.

Outside of a scientific definition, which likely might come with brainwaves or chemical statuses measured on machines; a human interpretation of an emotion in another person or animal can vary.

Some people "interpret/see" more than others; some to little, some too much.

Love is also a complicated thing because its not really a solid feeling; in fact I would say that love as most people understand it, is more a combination of emotions, feelings and actions than it is any one on its own.

On those grounds a horse can love, if you interpret a selection of displays by a horse as love. Which is just the same as for a cat, or a dog or a person; just that what you'd expect and interpret differs. A person can show love in a very different way than a cat can and both are different to what a horse can show.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
They can be affectionate, if you define it in the same way you would in humans. Mine has always enjoyed my company, is affectionate (whinnying, nuzzling, grooming). He's been out on loan now for about 6 weeks. The first couple of times I visited him, he whinnied to me, nuzzled me etc. Now he barely even says hello (I pop over every 1-2 weeks while loan is new just to be on safe side) but he's showing all of the 'affection' signs to the loaner. It's clearly not love because it's so easily transferable. He just knows who feeds him & cares for him! That's his herd now and he's fitted himself in with them to ensure his survival, on a v basic level.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I wouldn't use the word love necessarily but some horses are more demonstrative and want to interact with you more. I have one who I would say I have a a particularly strong bond with. I would say he shows it by wanting my presence and doing things that will get that; by grazing near me or following me if I am doing something in the field; of asking be groomed or trying to groom me.

Supertrooper

Visit site
Mine loves nose kisses, he will put his nose up to my mouth and push into my lips.
He also looks to me for re-assurance

He has also left his food while I've gone off to do other things in field, he's trotted over to me, kissed me and then gone back to food.

I don't care if he's showing love or not, he was wild and neglected, living at a animal rescue would you believe until he was taken by WHW at six. I'm just happy that he is secure and looked after and that I've found my pony of a lifetime because to me he's amazing.

hollyandivy123

Visit site
i was once told that my horse's must love me very much as they use to be calm in the stable until i appeared and then went all excited. whinnying, kicking the door etc even when i was out of site on the other side of the barn and had not been to their yard, they knew or felt I was there..........................the truth is i was the person who provided access to one of their Gods...............which was either the God of the black bucket or the God of yes we are out in the paddock. But they had also learnt the sound of my car!
;)

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I would agree horses don't love us. My two couldn't really give a damn about me ;)
Little Shetland on other hand will choose just hanging out with us (no food involved !) over being with horses. He likes to lie and sleep in the sun with his head on my lap. If I'm on the yard he's with me. If I sit down in summer for a drink or whatever he will just stand next to me.
I do believe he's quite fond of me :D

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I think most of the horses I have ever known only really express what I call is cupboard love, I worked on a livery yard and on my days off I would go up to do my horse and most of the other livery horses would call to me, why because I was the one who fed them most days and often the horses owner's would get upset because they never got called to by their own horses.

I do have a gelding I have had him since he was 2 his 13 this year he can be a bit fickle with strangers he won't be caught by just anyone and can be nervous, but I think this is because he has only really ever known me and he totally trusts me I can honestly say I can do anything with him and I trust him 100%, I think his little world would fall apart for a while if I were to dissappear but after a while I am sure he would find the same trust with someone else.