What does your small animal vet charge for Saturday pm appt?

TGM

Visit site
Just out of interest, what do your local vets charge if your dog has a minor injury on a Saturday and needs to be seen in the afternoon (before 5pm)? Specifically the consultation and examination fee, without any treatment?

ihatework

Visit site
Mine had a routine consult and bandage change which was 56 including the materials.
I have a feeling Saturday appointments are the same charge as midweek.

TGM

Visit site
Thanks IHW, was that Saturday afternoon? Our local vets is only open until 12 noon on a Saturday, and after that you have to use their out-of-hours service which costs £152 for consultation plus examination, which I thought was a bit steep!

PS Hope your dog's wound is still healing nicely. :)

Last edited:

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
08.45 - 12.30 on a Saturday are normal working hours, so standard consultation/examination fee (£32). Thereafter the OOH scale kicks in, IIRC around £80 at 5pm through to £120 if you presented at 3am.

TGM

Visit site
Thanks Blackcob, that is really useful. That sounds more reasonable, I don't mind paying a bit extra on a Saturday afternoon, and I would certainly expect a high fee for a nighttime emergency. I think I may look round at other vets near me and see what their policy is, especially as I have had a couple of minor niggles with my current vets anyway.

ihatework

Visit site
Thanks IHW, was that Saturday afternoon? Our local vets is only open until 12 noon on a Saturday, and after that you have to use their out-of-hours service which costs £152 for consultation plus examination, which I thought was a bit steep!

PS Hope your dog's wound is still healing nicely. :)

Yes my vets do a walk in clinic 9-11 Saturday morning and then appointments 2-5 on standard rate.

Dog wound is looking great, she is pretty much back to normal in routine. Just a small area left to close up.

Parly

Visit site
Our vet practice is open 6 days a week with Saturday being a normal consult fee of £30 I think it is. They close at 6pm on Saturday until 8am Monday during which time you're referred to emergency out of hours and that gets incredibly steep.

I've noticed a few times they haven't included the standard consult fee on our bill though usually when we've come away with meds or treatment but think that's at the discretion of the vet than policy.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Out of hours arrangements would be one of the first questions I'd ask if shopping around for a new vet. We're lucky in that ours provides their own OOH, having hospital accreditation at the main branch. The next nearest 'rival' practice contracts theirs out to a third party which is a good 45 minute drive from the branch (passing our hospital on the way!)

Schollym

Visit site
Just out of interest, what do your local vets charge if your dog has a minor injury on a Saturday and needs to be seen in the afternoon (before 5pm)? Specifically the consultation and examination fee, without any treatment?

I know how frustrating this is, as our animals all prefer to see the vet out of hours. However the practice has to staff this and incurs extra cost so some of this is due to that fact and some of it is due to discouraging those who are too disorganised to visit in normal practice hours. A Frind who is a vet nurse works long hours, regular weekends and nights just to help provide 24hour care when needed.

TGM

Visit site
I know how frustrating this is, as our animals all prefer to see the vet out of hours. However the practice has to staff this and incurs extra cost so some of this is due to that fact and some of it is due to discouraging those who are too disorganised to visit in normal practice hours. A Frind who is a vet nurse works long hours, regular weekends and nights just to help provide 24hour care when needed.

I don't mind paying a bit extra, and at really unsocial times like during the night I expect to pay through the nose for emergency care. However, I do feel £152 is a bit steep for a Saturday afternoon, and it does seem from other replies that it is not the norm in other areas. I have in fact being doing a bit of research on some alternative vets in my area and have found one with a very good reputation who have a more reasonable surcharge for out of hours work. As I've already had some minor niggles with my current vets anyway I think I will change.

SusieT

Visit site
If its in hours normal consult - If outside of their opening hours (and most vets in my area aren't open after 12) then its out of hours charges - I don't think its unreasonable to pay but 152 does seem a lot.. and unfortunatley as clients you can either choose a vet who's open later or pay this vets charges.

ETA: It's worth checking why vet B is cheaper than Vet A - does either vet have staff overnight or will your animal be left on its own or shipped out to another practice for overnight care? Does Vet B not employ qualified nurses etc etc. if you are changing it's very enlightening sometiems to hear what is considered 'standard of care'

There's normally a reason!

Last edited:

TGM

Visit site
I think the main reason is because Vet A contract out their out of hours service whereas Vet B doesn't, but I will check the other points you mention, just to be sure.

rara007

Visit site
If you're not on a scheme I'm £48 for Saturday afternoon, if it was fully booked then OOH is £135 but most Saturday afternoons have plenty of slots as midweek and Saturday morning is £41.

Vets for pets tend to be very reasonable for that kind of thing as they consult full
Days Saturday and Sunday.

View

Visit site
I've just paid £270 for consult, blood, X-ray, euthanasia and cremation of our cat at a local practice that we weren't even registered with. If we get another cat or dog, their care of her (and us) was such that we will register there.

Aru

Visit site
We have a 10 percent discount on appointments during the week, working hours are 9 to 5 with surgeries running is the afternoon.
Normal consult free for a saturday(no discount) open 9 to 5.
its 20 percent more to be seen on a sunday...open 10 to 4. Priority given to current clients if we are busy. We are the only non emegency clinic open in the area and it can be manic on a sunday.

Because we open daytime at the weekend, we do no after hours at all.
All are referred to emergency clinic nearby and vets have no access to the building overnight for inpatients...so criticial patients are taken home for owners to monitor and seek extra care if required or sent to the emegency overnight if they are unstable.

Best job I've ever worked in as a vet tbh I would never go back to on call work now.
I have a life and can enjoy the evenings without worrying about work...plus no being up all night and then trying to work through the next day sleep deprived, miserable and risking making stupid mistakes.

Also no worrying about the inpatients makes a massive difference. Either they are stable enough to stay overnight on a drip or they are with their owners who can get them extra help if they get worse/at emegency been supervised.
Coming in to check on an pet while on call and discovering them dead is soul destroying.
At least at emergency someone will always be in the building to catch them deterirating and do something about it....
Previous job small animal ooh was generally 20 to 50 percent on the normal consult depending on timing and all of the weekend from 5pm friday until monday at 9 was considered ooh.

Haven't added money because currently its aussie dollars so not very helpful.

Theres a massive issue in the uk and oz sourcing vets to work at the moment so I supect overtime more and more practices will be changing hours provided and on call work.

Last edited:

KrujaaLass

Visit site
Think our local Vets for pets are open 24/7 no different charge if you go. In the middle of the night. Can even go for routine jabs then