What dog?? Decisions!

nuttynugget

Visit site
So the time has come when my mum and me believe its time to bring another dog into our family (we lost our old border collie girl last summer) but now begs the question with what breed we should go for!

I would love a cocker spaniel/sprocker spaniel puppy but don't know whether it will be too much work. It will be my dog but I work full time so during the day my mum would be the one looking after it. Lots of people have told me that it will be too energetic for us.

Can anyone give me some advice and possibily suggest a good breed? We would ideally like a small-medium sized dog that is easily trainable.. thanks! :)

vieshot

Visit site
Im shocked that after owning a border collie you could possibly consider anything else!? ;-)

Dizzy socks

Visit site
What about a Cockapoo (i know!)? A minature poodle cross cocker spaniel.We have one, and she is lovely!Or...what about a collie cross? We have a colliexWhippet, the most beautiful and Sweet dog ever!

nuttynugget

Visit site
Thanks for your suggestions :)

vieshot I know... my old collie was one in a million and we would never even attempt to replace her. Also my mum wants a smaller dog we can take places

Collie x whippet sounds really interesting... I was really into getting a cocker spaniel but after reading the cocker spaniel rage thread i'm starting to reconsider :confused:

Elle123

www.ellaporterphotography.co.uk
Cocker spaniel...but then I'm biased ;) as far as the rage thread goes, it certain colours that are affected and as far as I'm aware the parti colours aren't. My little Pixel is a blue roan. Whatever pup you go for please go for a pup from responsible breeders who have health tested the parents and are interested in the welfare of the breed, I have learnt the last bit the hard way. From an energy point of view, if you can cope with a collie, you'll be fine with a cocker IMO :)

wyrdsister

Visit site
Spaniel, definitely! (Not that I'm biased or anything, we've only had/got 5!!!). They're a real mix - 2 of the 3 workers are indefatigable when we're out, but go from zoom to zonk as soon as they get indoors and become proper lapdogs. The other is generally quieter, although still loves a good romp and run. The 2 show cockers (one has just passed away) were much the same as the quieter of the workers, lively outdoors but not endlessly inexhaustible, and again, lazy lapdog as soon as we were indoors! Don't be fooled, though, they don't quieten down! The show cocker who is still alive is a few weeks off 15 and still loves a good walk and a hoolie!

SusieT

Visit site
Nip down to your local rescue even just to look around and see what sort of dogs catch your eye-even better if you decide to take one home!

nuttynugget

Visit site
Thanks everyone!!! :D

A few people have told me that I don't want a spaniel, they are too mad and it'd be a mistake so i've been reconsidering it!

Although the dog will be mine, I work full-time so my mum will be looking after the dog during the day and I don't want it to be too much work for her.

nuttynugget

Visit site
SusieT- I was thinking about nipping down to the rescue shelter to have a look, if the right dog is there i'd take it home.

When our old girl was still alive we were considering getting another dog and I definitely had my eye on a spaniel! but when she got sick we decided it just wasn't fair on her. I've been looking for over a year now.. its not a decision i'm going to enter into lightly ;)

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Thanks everyone!!! :D

A few people have told me that I don't want a spaniel, they are too mad and it'd be a mistake so i've been reconsidering it!

Totally depends on the temperament: my older dog (working stock) is stunning, not a pick of bother, the one with him in the pic (pet bred) is similar because I spent ages choosing the right puppy out of 8. His brother is frankly hard work but was also chosen deliberately for his character (God help us, I did not want the mad one, but the OH did!)

They had a rubbish walk today for one reason and another, but are all now flat out: it depends on the routine and training as you know. We've been extremely consistent with the daily routine and it's paid off.

Daytona

Visit site
Staffies are very trainable, lovely natured and the rescue centres are full of them. Got have a look bet you could get a wee cracker of a dog.