What dry food...? Help please!

Broodle

Visit site
My two dogs (approx 25-26kg, 9 and 10 years old, lab x std poodle) were fed for most of their life on Skinners Duck and Rice, but for the last year or so have had Millies Wolfheart Countryside Mix. They have lovely glossy coats and much nicer poos on the Millies, but one of them is eating loads of grass and the other has had some odd blood test results (long story) that could possibly be diet related (but probably aren't), so I'm looking for an alternative dry food. Ideally a little cheaper than the Millies, but that's not essential.

I've tried researching online but keep going down rabbit holes and can't reach a conclusion. And the time I've spent staring at feed sacks in the ag store!! 🙄

Please can you lovely knowledgeable folk help?!?

HeyMich

Visit site
We feed our lab cross the Burns dry food, and she's doing great on it. Her coat is glossy and she's full of the joys of spring, but without the silliness she had when she was on cheapo food! She's over 13 now and not looking like she's slowing up anytime soon... Very happy with the feed!

{97702}

Visit site
I swapped from Skinners Duck and Rice to Arden Grange Chicken - better poos, puts weight on all my dogs nicely, and they all have beautiful shiny coats without me needing to do anything 😊

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I'm feeding a combination of IAMS and Arden Grange at the moment and they are doing really well. They were on Burns but the whole pea thing put me off.

HeyMich

Visit site
This link explains 'the pea thing' and the links between grain-free/high legume food and Nutritional Dilated Cardiomyopathy: https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterina...rtain-diets-and-canine-dilated-cardiomyopathy

Thanks for the link TGM and the heads-up PF. I must admit, I had no clue about a potential pea/legume link with canine heart disease - HHO has once again taught me something! As they say, every day is a school day.

Burns isn't on the list of food producers in the article, but I shall go home and read the ingredients list, just to check.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I'm being over cautious I'm sure, HeyMich. I still like Burns and I'm pretty sure the amount of peas in the food is not actually a troublesome amount. If they took the peas out I'd go back to it but until more information is available on the heart disease - food link I'd rather just avoid peas entirely.

Chiffy

Visit site
I feed Simpsons Premium, I changed from Barking Heads.
Barking Heads is a great food, dogs loved it but I had to feed so little of it or they put on too much condition.
I read a hugely long dissertation on the Cardio thing. I did well to stick with it! The final conclusions were far from verified, every time there was a suggestion about taurine, it was then discounted in the next sentence. I really wouldn’t worry about it, just find a nutritional food that suits your dog, his appetite, build and activity levels.
Allaboutdogfood is a very helpful site.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Ours were on Millies.. now they are on Eden. Much cheaper its about £50 per 15kg but they get fed a little amount as its rich.

They look cracking on it, good muscle and love it. I think its good food, well rated 93% online! It isn't mentioned in any of the 'testings' regarding canine dilated cardiomyopathy.

Allaboutdogfood.co.uk is a great website.

SpringArising

Visit site
Mine is on Pooch and Mutt (the grain-free one) and he loves it. I always smells very fresh and pungent. It's something like 43% salmon (and not derivatives).

puppystitch

Visit site
Mine's on Forthglade, both wet and dry and I'm really happy with it. Sometimes my other half buys the wrong thing and I can always tell when she's not on the 'right' food.

{97702}

Visit site
I can never resist a pic 🙄 so this is my black greyhound boy... no additives or supplements at all, he looks this good just on the Arden Grange 😊 I’m afraid even if I didn’t have 4 of them I just wouldnt be prepared personally to pay £50+ a sack for dog food, I’m too old fashioned for that, so this has been a great find for me of a good quality reasonably priced dog food 😊

49FD5150-990A-4560-8534-A39AE698389C.jpeg

{97702}

Visit site
Our boys look fab on Arden Grange too. I can get 2 sacks from Zooplus for just over £50.

That’s a great price EM! I get mine from my local feed store but there is a bit of a story behind that lol - they discount it to £32 a sack for me because I buy 4 sacks a month

Stiff Knees

Visit site
Another vote for Eden, my eldest Labrador has been eating it for 6 years. It suits him at 12 and a half years old, and our other very active Lab at 2 years 2 months. She averages 13 miles a day and does very well on it. 🐾🐾

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I was doing some more reading on the dcm issue and the author reckons the FDA research is flawed. I will try to find where I read that.