What event boots?

BethanT

Visit site
What event boots are people using at the moment?

I am on the search for a new set of cross country boots to use for schooling after coming to the conclusion that my Premier Equines rub my horse if they are on him for any longer than 40mins - mainly after getting wet.

That said, the PE's are fine when I compete, so these new boots would just be for use when XC schooling, so a budget of £40 or less for each pair would be perfect! Or the whole outfit - front, hinds and over reach for less than £100.

So what are the boots of choice at the moment? I have looked at the Le Mieux ones, but wasn't sure if LM have much of a reputation for being very protective?

My horse is very prone to coming back with knocks and scrapes regardless of how well booted he is.

AFB

Visit site
I really liked the LM boots until I saw them in the flesh, they felt very cheap and poorly made to me in real life. The piping around the edge especially, I've seen them sold on eBay and that looks pretty tired pretty quickly.

Can't offer any recommendations however!

BethanT

Visit site
I really liked the LM boots until I saw them in the flesh, they felt very cheap and poorly made to me in real life. The piping around the edge especially, I've seen them sold on eBay and that looks pretty tired pretty quickly.

Can't offer any recommendations however!

This is my worry. I think they are quite new to the market, and I am not sure how protective they really are. I also wonder if it is just the brand name that makes them the price they are!

Think I might head back to good old Woof Wear

Mule

Visit site
I have Dalmar ones. I didnt really need them, but just got paid and found myself in a horsewear outlet store! They are nice though. Quite hard wearing and they stay light even when going through water.

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
Woof wear do a very smart range , but the cheaper ones are much more hard wearing than the expensive range I've found. I have a set of both, and the stitching all came undone on the expensive set and I stuck with the old 8 year old set that are a bit worn, but are still going after a few seasons hunting and eventing!

BethanT

Visit site
Woof wear do a very smart range , but the cheaper ones are much more hard wearing than the expensive range I've found. I have a set of both, and the stitching all came undone on the expensive set and I stuck with the old 8 year old set that are a bit worn, but are still going after a few seasons hunting and eventing!

A fellow livery uses Woof Wear, she has the SMART ones. I must admit I prefer the look of the basic ones.

The only think I need to make sure of is that they don't retain too much water as that's when they end up rubbing.

Abacus

Visit site
I have Eskadrons which I have had for 12+ years - admittedly they don't get lots of use (xc schooling and competitions) but they have worn well and have an extra velcro / press-stud strap and have never come off. I just bought a front pair for a friend for £20 (pre-owned) on Ebay and looking for the hinds to go with them. I also have the PE air-cooled ones for another horse, but i don't like them as much.

Squeak

Visit site
These woof wear ones are a complete waste of time for xc:

https://www.saddlery.biz/woof-wear-...MIysDi3vWM2wIVFhMbCh1c0A-SEAQYASABEgJjjvD_BwE

I've always been surprised that Woof Wear who are usually so good managed to make such a big mistake with these (think along the lines of they soak up the entire water complex and then slide down the horses legs as far as they can if their own weight hasn't already undone the velcro).

These ones are far more their usual standard:

https://www.derbyhousestore.com/en-...MIysDi3vWM2wIVFhMbCh1c0A-SEAQYAyABEgIf6PD_BwE

NEW boots are also good and have some that are still going strong and have never slipped, rubbed or soaked up water etc.

I would be slightly concerned about using the PE ones if they rub after a while because I'd worry that even if you can't see that they've hurt after one round that they'd still be hurting/ rubbing the whole time as it's a cumulative effect.

BethanT

Visit site
These woof wear ones are a complete waste of time for xc:

https://www.saddlery.biz/woof-wear-...MIysDi3vWM2wIVFhMbCh1c0A-SEAQYASABEgJjjvD_BwE

I've always been surprised that Woof Wear who are usually so good managed to make such a big mistake with these (think along the lines of they soak up the entire water complex and then slide down the horses legs as far as they can if their own weight hasn't already undone the velcro).

These ones are far more their usual standard:

https://www.derbyhousestore.com/en-...MIysDi3vWM2wIVFhMbCh1c0A-SEAQYAyABEgIf6PD_BwE

NEW boots are also good and have some that are still going strong and have never slipped, rubbed or soaked up water etc.

I would be slightly concerned about using the PE ones if they rub after a while because I'd worry that even if you can't see that they've hurt after one round that they'd still be hurting/ rubbing the whole time as it's a cumulative effect.

Yes I much prefer the second ones over the wrap style. I don't see how the former could offer any sort of protection!

I think I might have to hang up his PE's for use on him. Think they just may be on the large size for him really.