What ever happened to hunting presentation????!!!!

Shoei

Visit site
We have a hunt come through our farm twice a year and I have noticed over the past 3/4 years how the presentation of the followers have deteriorated. Now it has been about 7 years since I stopped hunting after selling my mare but always ensured I was correctly presented. This doesn't mean you have to spend loads of money but plaiting up and being clean and trimmed doesn't cost a fortune. When the hunt came through last Feb some followers were in Wellington boots and brightly coloured rain coats. It wasn't even bad weather.

Now the source of this rant stems from looking at a local hunts facebook site so many of the horses are untrimmed and unplaited and girls with long hair not tied back and the horses looked like they have been dragged from the field.

What has happened to hunt presentation. As most hunt clearly say to dress appropriately as it is a mark of respect for landowners this just seems disrespectful but I suspect it is just that people don't bother any more.

Okay rant over

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Without appearing snobby, is it a drag pack by any chance as I've seen some pictures of some of those turned out exactly as you described? I'm not tarring all drag packers the same but I would be horrified if it was a proper foxhound pack that's been going for many years. You have to blame those 'at the top' for not setting out their standards which should still be as high as it was before the ban and I would want them to send home anyone that can't be bothered to turn themselves out smartly; as you say, it's a sign of respect towards those who own the land they hunt over.

Shoei

Visit site
Interestingly Measfen they are both Bloodhound packs, although I did hunt with one of them and never noticed such shoddy presentation. I'm maybe a bit old school and make sure I am well presented when riding in general, but I do find it very offensive.
Without appearing snobby, is it a drag pack by any chance as I've seen some pictures of some of those turned out exactly as you described? I'm not tarring all drag packers the same but I would be horrified if it was a proper foxhound pack that's been going for many years. You have to blame those 'at the top' for not setting out their standards which should still be as high as it was before the ban and I would want them to send home anyone that can't be bothered to turn themselves out smartly; as you say, it's a sign of respect towards those who own the land they hunt over.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Sadly, that doesn't surprise me in the least if our own experiences are anything to go by.
An ex huntsman friend of ours kennelled a bloodhound pack at his home and he said it was frightening how little the masters/chairman knew about everything to do with them except ride; they would only turn up to take hounds hunting that day so had no rapport with them at all, none of them had ever hunted before so they had no idea of the etiquette involved; they didn't even visit the farmers that they hunted over to seek permission, they just assumed that as the foxhounds were allowed, they would be too - and that the foxhounds would repair any of their damage too; it did not go down well as you can imagine especially with the farmers when the first they knew of it was to see cattle upset or people riding over their land without a care for the consequences. Because nobody local was involved, nobody knew where they had decided to meet and with riders in normal (tatty) gear, if you saw them you would just assume they were hacking out as nobody had made an effort to dress or smarten up for the occasion. Luckily, this pack disbanded and I believe the other bloodhound packs know better how to behave but it's a shame if they're not keeping up standards, it won't do them any favours.

Alec Swan

Visit site
A couple of good posts Maesfen. There's a reason for good manners, and etiquette and tradition and a certain protocol, and it's nothing to do with snobbery, but everything to do with standards. We make our own beds in the morning, we wash up our plates and we clean our own shoes. Some of us clean our own cars, and we do all of that in everyday life. Why some decide that such standards don't apply to the hunting field, is beyond me.

No one, today, would demand the strictest attention to detail, that's not how our world is anymore, but at least making some effort is better than no effort at all.

Alec.

RunToEarth

Visit site

I agree - A few bloodhound packs seem to have introduced a hunt shell suit for hunting in, doesn't look quite right.

I think the packs that have maintained excellent turnout are the packs with very effective secs - someone who is pleasant and approachable but not afraid to ask you politely if you wouldn't mind stitching your ribbons up/ tucking your stock in/plaiting your horse etc. No one wants to be barked at or discouraged, but we should all make a little effort to look presentable.

Toffee44

Visit site
Agree re actual mounted. Proper turnout is a must.

However the foot followers is a difficult one. I think hunts should be grateful for their ever expanding support on foot. If the hunt meets in town etc then the public turnout is normally big here. But if rules for followers were laid out then that support would twindle.

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
I remember balancing on a tub on one leg (other in plaster) whilst OH held me from behind :eek: so I could plait his horse. He said no way was he hunting unplaited.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Sorry Toffee, what foot followers choose to wear is entirely up to them and in no way would I want an official 'uniform' for them; it is the mounted field we are on about as they are the ones who should be showing their appreciation to their farmers.
Besides, you can usually spot regular foot followers a mile away in their regular 'uniform' of usually drab green or tweed waterproofs with wellies as those are the type of clothes fit for that purpose to keep you dry and warm and not bothered if you get mucked up; the new-comers that attend meets and become regulars soon learn that too!

MileAMinute

Visit site
I've hunted with my local bloodhounds. They are newly formed and their aim (for the beginner/newcomer meet at least) is to get people out and having a go, and so it isn't crucial that people are 100% correct for the hunting field. However, the one (and only!) time I went people generally scrubbed up well.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Sadly, that doesn't surprise me in the least if our own experiences are anything to go by.
An ex huntsman friend of ours kennelled a bloodhound pack at his home and he said it was frightening how little the masters/chairman knew about everything to do with them except ride; they would only turn up to take hounds hunting that day so had no rapport with them at all, none of them had ever hunted before so they had no idea of the etiquette involved; they didn't even visit the farmers that they hunted over to seek permission, they just assumed that as the foxhounds were allowed, they would be too - and that the foxhounds would repair any of their damage too; it did not go down well as you can imagine especially with the farmers when the first they knew of it was to see cattle upset or people riding over their land without a care for the consequences. Because nobody local was involved, nobody knew where they had decided to meet and with riders in normal (tatty) gear, if you saw them you would just assume they were hacking out as nobody had made an effort to dress or smarten up for the occasion. Luckily, this pack disbanded and I believe the other bloodhound packs know better how to behave but it's a shame if they're not keeping up standards, it won't do them any favours.

Ha! I wonder if that was anywhere around here? There was a pack that operated for a very short time, I even thought to go and have a look one day as it was a little way off. I can remember one farmer with a pedigree suckler herd ranting about hunting, and banned them from his land and I think they were very surprised about it.

As for our local hunt which met down the road yesterday, I thought how incredibly smart and well turned out everyone looked, even though they knew the minute they left the road they would get plastered.

Alec Swan

Visit site

As for our local hunt which met down the road yesterday, I thought how incredibly smart and well turned out everyone looked, even though they knew the minute they left the road they would get plastered.

It's a strange topic, our apparel, isn't it? I mean, what's the need? Mostly, I shoot and would never, ever, turn out for a day without wearing the best that I have, and a collar and tie. I just couldn't do it. Even when just a chum and I meet up for an evening's duck flight, we will both look presentable, and not by agreement, or at least, not other than tacit.

Would we go to the Opera in jeans, or would we go to Church in wellies? Ok so there are times, but you'll follow my drift. For country pursuits, mostly we wear what's practical, but the reality is that, mostly, we're in a uniform of one sort or another.

Just look at that lot who ride in the T-D-France, they all look like left-overs from the Milk Race. Uniforms, that's what we wear, and we wear what we do to feel comfortable. I trained, many years ago as a Butler. Never, EVER would I have been seen in a drawing or dining room in anything than acceptable clobber. It simply wouldn't have happened!! Standards!!

Alec.

debsandpets

Visit site
We followed our local foxhounds on Boxing Day, and I was appalled by the state of some of the field - both equine and human. Horses unclipped, dripping with sweat, not plaited up, with riders wearing blue musto snug type jackets - I mean really, the biggest meet of the year and you can't turn up in decent attire with a clean and tidy horse :-/
The main reason I can't follow on horse at the moment is a mixture of a lack of correct attire, and stabling facilities to keep horses clean the night before and somewhere to put them afterwards to dry off etc.
I wouldn't dream of turning up in a musto jacket !!!

Countryman

Visit site
We followed our local foxhounds on Boxing Day, and I was appalled by the state of some of the field - both equine and human. Horses unclipped, dripping with sweat, not plaited up, with riders wearing blue musto snug type jackets - I mean really, the biggest meet of the year and you can't turn up in decent attire with a clean and tidy horse :-/
The main reason I can't follow on horse at the moment is a mixture of a lack of correct attire, and stabling facilities to keep horses clean the night before and somewhere to put them afterwards to dry off etc.
I wouldn't dream of turning up in a musto jacket !!!

To be honest, I sometimes think the mounted field look more scruffy on Boxing Day than on any other. The reason for this, I think, is that you have a lot of people who don't hunt other than this one day of the year, and who don't understand the customs or etiquette.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Ha! I wonder if that was anywhere around here? There was a pack that operated for a very short time, I even thought to go and have a look one day as it was a little way off. I can remember one farmer with a pedigree suckler herd ranting about hunting, and banned them from his land and I think they were very surprised about it.

Quite possibly, OR, if you're anywhere near where my avatar says I am! ;)

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I think that I also know the bloodhound pack that Maesfen was referring to. It was indeed a shambles. They would turn up the day after the local foxhounds had been here and rampage around without any permission from the farmers. It seemed to be some sort of ego trip for the 'masters'.

Mark Gilbert

Visit site
Interestingly Measfen they are both Bloodhound packs, although I did hunt with one of them and never noticed such shoddy presentation. I'm maybe a bit old school and make sure I am well presented when riding in general, but I do find it very offensive.

Certainly not our pack, The Burne Bloodhounds, check our web site and FB page we give riders an idea of what is expected...

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com

I went out yesterday for the first time ever with a bloodhound pack. I have to say that I didn't notice anyone looking scruffy (and I am the sort of person who does notice). I was mortified that I had to wear short boots and chaps because my leg boots are not yet comfy enough to wear for more than a few minutes!
There is very clear instruction on the website (and fb page) to the turnout standard expected, horses to be plaited (traditionally or a running plait for natives) or hogged, no saddlecloths. I was also impressed that people were on hand to 'actively' coach the more inexperienced members of the field ( I have been out when there has been a 'rear' field master who has spent all their time chatting to a pal and children/novices have been left to run amok!)
All in all a very big thank you to the newly formed Cheshire Bloodhounds for 'doing it right'

RunToEarth

Visit site
To be honest, I sometimes think the mounted field look more scruffy on Boxing Day than on any other. The reason for this, I think, is that you have a lot of people who don't hunt other than this one day of the year, and who don't understand the customs or etiquette.

100% hit the nail on the head, it really annoys me - it takes relatively little effort to look a million times more presentable than some people do.

But mud sticks and people do go away commenting that standards are slipping, a hundred well turned out people can be ruined by four people lacking hairnets and a proper jacket.

It is a bit like the growing number of young females that attend hunt balls in what can only be described as "fanny pelmet" dresses. How inappropriate is it to attend a black tie event in something that barely manages to cover your arsecheeks?

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
It is a bit like the growing number of young females that attend hunt balls in what can only be described as "fanny pelmet" dresses. How inappropriate is it to attend a black tie event in something that barely manages to cover your arsecheeks?

That is unfortunately the influence of the 'Big Fat Gypsy' culture, ball gowns should be elegant and classy, not tacky and tasteless :-(

Alec Swan

Visit site

That is unfortunately the influence of the 'Big Fat Gypsy' culture, ball gowns should be elegant and classy, not tacky and tasteless :-(

My OH, the vulgar creature, says whilst your young enough to waive yer clunge about, do it, as the day will soon be upon you, when your too old. :p That's what she said! Disgraceful! Very Sarah Milican! :D

Alec.

pansy

Visit site
RESPECT
There's not a lot of it about nowadays - I have only been out a few times but made sure that myself & horse were turned out correctly - people just don't seem to be bothered
now

I did hear the other day though & it's the 1st time I had heard it - that plating only needs to be done for lawn meets ?

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
RESPECT

I did hear the other day though & it's the 1st time I had heard it - that plating only needs to be done for lawn meets ?

That's technically correct although any hunter groom worth their salt will plait for every meet after Opening Meet unless it's a bye day; it's just the way we were brought up and it will be a great shame if standards are allowed to decline.

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
That's technically correct although any hunter groom worth their salt will plait for every meet after Opening Meet unless it's a bye day; it's just the way we were brought up and it will be a great shame if standards are allowed to decline.
I have never been a hunt groom (but my mum was) and I would never go out without plaiting, it is good manners as stated in the first post. If the landowner is prepared to allow us on their land, then the least we can do is spend 15 mins popping 7 plaits in?

VoR

Visit site
As secretary of a small hunt we are fairly relaxed about new followers and their attire the first time they hunt with us although we do ask that clothing is smart (no coloured breeches, dirty coats, etc) and horses are both clean and plaited where appropriate (i.e. for a lawn meet) with clean, appropriate tack.
We prefer 'first-timers' to be warm and dry rather than feeling they need to beg, borrow or steal the right coat from someone, that way they hopefully enjoy themselves, want to come back and then buy the correct clothing. If we didn't take a more relaxed approach our fields probably wouldn't have grown in size over the last two years, something that is vitally important for a hunt the size of ours.

shoeey

Visit site
Whilst I am definitely of the old school and my horse is always plaited and I am hair-netted, I think we need to be careful that we don't project an image that you are not welcome in the hunting field if you're not on a smart TB and wearing £100s of expensive clothing. I wore a black show jacket for seasons because a proper hunting coat was a ridiculous expense for the few days a year I could manage to snatch and being allowed to wear my waterproof riding jacket would have been a very welcome relief! As the old BFSS poster says - hunting is a sport for all!